• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

We have worn British style uniforms for a good part of our history. The current green ones were inspired by an attempt to make us look American. Looking back historically these new uniforms look a lot more Canadian than our current ones.

Either way, I'll be clearly identified as the King's soldier.
As God intended haha. I'm stoked for it. Question is while the dress regs are open, if units will be given latitude to "make it their own" within reason. I have some ideas for the other NCOs for some stuff. Hopefully we'd get the greenlight if the RSM is on board.

We're talking about the Army, right? Where no unit looks the same on parade? :ROFLMAO:
All the better. I like a little dash and pizzazz in uniforms. It's rather bleak and boring in our ugly ass DEUs otherwise. At least you guys look like aviators in your DEUs, unlike our Beaver Bus Line chic. Nothing looks better than a large parade with full companies/squadrons in their regalia.

Last edited:
In olden times wasn't it brown shoes for officers and black parade boots for NCMs? In any event, unless they're going with a black Sam Browne for officers, surely they'd be going with brown shoes.
Nope, black footwear

Shoes/boots and belts don’t necessarily need to match. See the Royal Marine Commando Officers No. 1B/C Lovat Dress. They wear black shoes, brown gloves, and Sam Brown is polished to a deep brown. They look sharp.

The proposed new service dress isn’t dissimilar to the Lovat dress, nor the Irish Defence Forces service dress. Looking forward to seeing a new Canadian Army DEU on parade.

One sartorial nitpick - make the tie lighter in colour.

Few observations:
  1. So far, we've only seen officer uniforms, who don't wear trade or marksmanship badges on the lower sleeves. Any chance those might be removed for NCMs?
  2. No division or brigade badges. I assume this is just a prototype thing and not an indication
  3. The epaulets have a Canada badge, which seems to fit with RegF and a few ResF units replacing the Canada shoulder flash for cloth unit badges.
  4. I'm probably reading too much into it.
I wonder what colour will the NCM's ranks will be? Gold as it is currently or back to the traditional white?
Will we get rid of metallic NCM ranks that is worn on the shirt collar and have the rank on the epaulettes? I never did like pinning my rank on my shirt collar.
What colour will the beret be, beside maroon for AB, black for Armd, blue for Arty and Sigs, and scarlet for MPs?

Anyway, I'm sure that there will years of the Army fiddling around the new service dress as every Corps/Regt/Services makes their requests for change known and especially if it can be publicly funded. I can already see BNs being prepared now to be sent to the Army G1. Perhaps I can get a part-time job as a civ working for Army G1 collating the requests.

We have worn British style uniforms for a good part of our history. The current green ones were inspired by an attempt to make us look American. Looking back historically these new uniforms look a lot more Canadian than our current ones.
The British Army introduced the standard khaki uniform in 1902 and Canada followed a year later. We wore it for 65ish.
We adopted the Canadian Green uniform in 1968. We have worn that one for 56 years.
It is not a significant difference in favour of either one.

But, we don't need to look to either US or UK to pick an identity. It is okay to have our own.

The British Army introduced the standard khaki uniform in 1902 and Canada followed a year later. We wore it for 65ish.
We adopted the Canadian Green uniform in 1968. We have worn that one for 56 years.

But, we don't need to look to either US or UK to pick an identity. It is okay to have our own.

New Army DEU just dropped:

rick moranis bob and doug mackenzie GIF by Warner Archive

What does Canadian look like? Red serge? British. Stetson? American. We're a blend of both really, so what's the issue with going with a Commonwealth yet stylish suit for our new DEUs?

Fuck Reserve units who can't reliably parade a trained company, and put them on to the supplementary order of battle, and make viable units instead.
The regiments I'm referring are the LdSH and RCD, definitely reserve units. The only traditionally true cavalry reserve unit is the FGH. The remainder were dragoons/mounted rifles. The three Canadian constituent regiments of the Canadian Cavalry Brigade. Where did the reservist hurt you?

The regiments I'm referring are the LdSH and RCD, definitely reserve units. The only traditionally cavalry reserve unit is the FGH. Where did the reservist hurt you?
The biggest enemy of the Army Reserve is the Army Reserve, whose senior "leaders" have failed it for generations.

Back