• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Martial Arts Superthread

Zarathustra said:
I would add that martial arts should deal with weapons and multi-attackers otherwise it's just sport. It should also allow you to kill/incapacitate an opponent quickly. The referee cannot decide who won.

But why isn't some of this taught in the CF ? Lack of instructors? Too long to learn ? Preference for bullets and high-tech solutions ?
As I mentioned earlier, there has been a concerted effort over the last 25 years to breed the aggression out of our soldiers.  All contact sports; gone, Pugil training; gone.  The only contact sport left is hockey, and let's face it, since the CFEHL closed down, army hockey is a shadow of its former self. As I said before, a lot less effort goes into planning a run four mornings out of five, than booking a room full of mats and getting stuck in to each other.

I have a blackbelt in Taekwon-do.  I am a 9 time gold medalist and a national champion.  I was on the Alberta team in 1993-1994. I will be the first one to tell you that few TKD techniques are useful for soldiering.  Why?  Because many of them are complex kicks which involve spinning or other finite motor movements.  Besides, can you see a man with all his battle gear on, rifle, and ruck doing a spin kick?  Or even kicking above his own groin?

The only useful kicks from TKD are the side kick (you can break someone in half with one of those) and the front kick (can be done fast to hurt someone or kick open doors, etc.)  Both of those can be learned in a few months and mastered over years.  As for all the other patterns and crap, they are good to help you learn reaction time, speed and how to use gravity, aka dropping power, when you strike but again require YEARS to master. Thus TKD is not practical to teach recruits in BMQ or whatever. 

So in my opinion and after years in TKD, as well as meddling with judo, jiujitsu, knife fighting, karate, etc. I have learned that knowing TOO MANY MOVES = FREEZING IN A FIGHT!!!

It has it happened to me lots.  When I was the TKD champ in highschool and after I had was in a few street fights and at the beginning I didn't know what to do.  I froze.  The problem was I had 100 things in my mind but had to think about what to use.  That is the problem.  When adrenaline flows, you cannot think!  YOU REACT.  SO if you practice a few moves a million times, you will be better off than practicing a million different moves a few times.  Variety is not the key.

What one needs to learn is how to instinctively react to an attack without having to memorize specific techniques.  GROSS BODY MOVEMENTS that just come out of you whether you are standing, sitting, surprised or ready. 

Go to www.attackproof.com and you will see what I mean.  This is the ultimate fighting system.  And it works and shows why it is superior to jiujitsu, karate, tkd, etc.   

In the place of years of cross training in grappling and striking arts, knowing a few moves really well is not a bad idea. Anybody who has gone a few rounds in the dojo or on the street knows that more often than not you can finish 90% of fights with maybe five techniques. Just watch some NHB competitions if you haven't had first hand knowledge, how many times have you seen a fight end in a rear naked choke or an armbar, or in many cases a well timed right hook. It wouldn't take much to train our troops in a few of these proven techniques. Besides the practical reasons of self defense, I believe that hand to hand combat training instills a warrior mindset, something that we've let fall by the wayside in favour of more politically correct endeavours. Just think, it doesn't cost anything and an impromptu lecture or practice session can be set up virtually anywhere.
As for the opinion that there is an ultimate system of fighting, sorry I don't agree.

Yup, I agree that just normal brawling/street fighting is quite dangerous. I am totally untrained in any martial arts, but I've been a few fights/scraps and been able to handle myself just fine and dandy. One of them was against a dude who attended about 15 years of Karate classes, BlackBelt and all. I just went in and punched when I knew I could hit. Knee'd when I knew I could get a good knee in... but one thing is that in ALL of the fights I've been in, I've never hit a guy when he was down on the ground.

Hate to repeat myself, but I think my earlier post might be overlooked where it's so small....

Anyone know of any bases offering Hapkido?

Fry said:
Yup, I agree that just normal brawling/street fighting is quite dangerous. I am totally untrained in any martial arts, but I've been a few fights/scraps and been able to handle myself just fine and dandy. One of them was against a dude who attended about 15 years of Karate classes, BlackBelt and all. I just went in and punched when I knew I could hit. Knee'd when I knew I could get a good knee in... but one thing is that in ALL of the fights I've been in, I've never hit a guy when he was down on the ground.

Hate to repeat myself, but I think my earlier post might be overlooked where it's so small....

Anyone know of any bases offering Hapkido?
As far as Hapkido where are you located currenlty and where are you going to be posted?
Second why Hapkido? just wondering Hap is a good martial art but not as common on bases as TKD , Jiu Jitsu , or Judo
Ya the problem is Karate doesn't have alot of street application not like Kali or Jiu Jitsu or Krav like Boxers throw something at the Karata man that he isn't used to like a leg kick or a elbow and they get messed up.
Now don't get me wrong all froms of self defense has there place, but with out a mix the unknown can really mess you up. When looking for a form that suits you remember this one word simple. if the defenses are simple when it comes down to it you won't be able to perform said defenses. Krav is a great example of K.I.S.S.

My basic martial art background is Karate and Jujitsu, but I have also dabbled in Tai-Chi, Tae Kwan do, Judo, and wrestling.  I have found that a mix of  a striking style and grappling style is the best bet, but the system you choose is not that important.  What is important is that you train in your chosen art until you react without thought.  The training must be realistic; your enemy cannot be expected to use "legal" moves, respect strike zones, or any of the sport style nonesense that turns suburban martial artists into fodder for street fighters.  The training must stress agression.  Your object should always be to do your enemy the maximum harm, with maximum speed.  All of us can do our IA's and stoppages in our sleep, but how many have given the same training to reacting to getting jumped hand to hand?  If you ever need your unarmed training, you will not have time to think about it, and like any soldier, you should have availed yourself of the chance to train your reflexes to instantly respond with the most effective technique you posses.  The first thought you should have time for should be, "who is that guy bleeding on the ground, and what the heck was his problem anyway?"  As Bruce Lee was fond of saying, everyone has two arms and two legs, and we all move the same, so all martial science is basically the same.  Your body is the one weapon you always have with you, you should be as familiar with it as you are your issue weapon.

Russel Forster was teaching Hapkido to the CF in ablerta back when I was training with his father in Prince George. Last time I heard from him he was in Cold Lake, not sure if he still teaches, the CF. Would be worth looking for him if that is what you were interested in doing.

Is anyone heading out on op archer roto2 interested in starting any kind of martial arts club or practicing?  Judo, jujitsu, aikido taekwondo etc..

Not sure what they have in place there already but it never hurt to do a little recce :)

EDIT: Fixed your title, .......still spent from watching the spelling bee?

They do have some martial arts classes in KAF at the gym on weeknights...taekwondo IIRC.

There are always some troops doing some classes at any given time there. Just ask around, you'll find one.

The hardest thing is to have enough time off to go.

Regards

I'm much better at finding time off work than spelling ;)

I hope the martial arts clubs/practices in kaf aren't like the ones I've seen in the past where they are suffocated with rules to the point that everyone looses interest.

I'm on OP Archer right now(8jun to 15 dec 06) and the martial arts clubs are either always full up or completely useless( like the TKD).

Currently i hit the heavy bag to practice my boxing and have another guy whose teaching me the very little he knows about karate, plus whatever i remember from jiu jitsu.

Do you instruct and what is your style?

I guess the martial arts subject is always a good one for conversation. However, have many of you suffered accidents whilst training?

Last year I suffered damage to my internal organs, from a blow. I was in a lot of pain for some weeks and at one point thought my number was up. Anyway and thankfully, with some professional help I made a full recovery.

A few weeks ago I was teaching a guy how to roll out of an arm lock. He was a tadge confused that night. I could tell by the blank look on his face. Unfortunately, he got muddled up with what he was meant to do. He applied a hand and thumb lock on my right hand and then dived into a role across the floor. I momentarily looked to roll with him, but the angle was awkward and I could feel my Radius and Ulna (Forearm) bones starting to bend slightly. Consequently, I stopped his role in mid flow. This reduced the chance of him snapping my arm. However, the lock was still applied and my thumb was nearly dislocated. There was a fair amount of pain as the muscles around my thumb, wrist and forehand all tore.

Its been 3 weeks now and its starting to get better. The hard part is working your way through your everyday life trying to work around injuries like this until they repair themselves. Still, it happens from time to time, doesn't it.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

Cheers

Steve

Asides from the usual bumps and scrapes, I've had my ankles slightly torn ( a sprain ankle ) while practicing a roll out from a headlock. It wasn't such a bad injury but I was too stupid to seek proper medical care so it ended up bugging me for several months and then 5 or 6 more months of residual pain.

It was the oddest injury because I don't really see how I could have ended up hurting my ankle. I hadn't actually started the roll out when I felt my legs just drop :) I guess I must have been overtraining and had a weak leg or something.

I guess we all tell ourselves safety first when we enter our respective places of training but it only takes a split second of losing your focus to put us out of commission for months. I guess the only thing is to make sure you take care of the injuries quick and properly because there is nothing we can actually do to "prevent" these "accidents"  :)

Maybe except quiting altogether haha.

P.S. How on earth did you damage your internal organs? What were you doing? Sparring full contact?!?!? Ouch!

It's been a long time since I trained seriously. Tae Kwon Do, blue belt but I do remember having sore knees from not having my feet and legs in the proper positions for kicks and some bumps and bruises from people who did not have complete control when doing some light contact sparring. (got caught right in the eye with a round house kick.)
Here in St Jean we have a MMA club now, but I havn't heard of any real serious injuries.
Marc

I had my left collar bone pulled off my sternum in high school wrestling, I have to say that is not an injury I recommend, it took many years to heal. Probably about 5 years before it felt 100% like the other side, though it still pops and cracks now and again.  Also, in a jiu jitsu class I was taking a quick step backwards and got the edge of my foot caught in a gap in the mats. Needless to say I went down like a sack of poop and ended up with a nice bruise from my ankle to about half way up to my knee. The blood just leeched up under the skin that far. 

I need to ask too; how and what internal organ(s) did you damage!?

Yves Philodor Jr cracked one of my ribs with a knee once. At least I think it was cracked, it hurt for about a year. I had about 50lbs and six inches of reach on him and still he beat me up. Sparring with him was the highlight of my martial arts, oddly enough. Most of my injuries are tendonitis from running in order to grow some lungs so I don't run out of gas and get beaten up by little guys.

I definitely feel your pain, I too am in the process of healing a martial arts injury. Just over 5 weeks ago I took a bad throw in my Jiu-Jitsu class (and executed a proper break-fall, I might add), I felt something pop in my groin and lower abdomen. Turns out it's a level 2 groin pull. Been going to physio now 2-3 three times a week, but my leg is still buggered. They're telling me it'll be at least 6 months before I'll be able to go back to training again full bore. I'm starting to believe them now, I tried going back this week to train in a very, very limited capacity and it was a definite no-go.

Back