• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Cost Of Treating Troops As Free Labor Providers

Old Sweat said:
I recall at the time that the CDS kept a battalion (I think in Western Canada) on parade waiting in the cold while he did whatever in the mess. No other details provided, but it was not a well-received story.

Sounds a lot like a different Royal, one who's name is a homonym for the plural of male genitalia...

MM

medicineman said:
Sounds a lot like a different Royal, one who's name is a homonym for the plural of male genitalia...

MM

I remember Jimmy in Calgary.  Good times, good times.  Maybe that's where the term belt fed......  comes from.

jollyjacktar said:
I remember Jimmy in Calgary.  Good times, good times.  Maybe that's where the term belt fed......  comes from.

As do I - the only Brigade Commander who never chatted with me at GOC's inspections since I'm 6'2" and he didn't/doesn't seem to like tall people.  I was alright with that anyway, since he'd likely take too long to get out what he wanted to say and it would likely end in the words "CHCHCHCHCHAAAAAAARGE THTHTHTHIS MMMMMMMMMAN"  [:D.

MM

medicineman said:
As do I - the only Brigade Commander who never chatted with me at GOC's inspections since I'm 6'2" and he didn't/doesn't seem to like tall people.  I was alright with that anyway, since he'd likely take too long to get out what he wanted to say and it would likely end in the words "CHCHCHCHCHAAAAAAARGE THTHTHTHIS MMMMMMMMMAN"  [:D.

MM

I do remember hearing of his PPCLI GOC inspection where he supposedly came across one Cpl who also had the same speech impediment Jimmy initially thought the Cpl was trying to make fun of him with his verbal replies to his questions.  I don't honestly know if it's a true story but the play by play of the story brought smiles to many faces at the thought of Jimmy's safeties lifting.

jollyjacktar said:
I do remember hearing of his PPCLI GOC inspection where he supposedly came across one Cpl who also had the same speech impediment Jimmy initially thought the Cpl was trying to make fun of him with his verbal replies to his questions.  I don't honestly know if it's a true story but the play by play of the story brought smiles to many faces at the thought of Jimmy's safeties lifting.

An officer in my reserve unit used to be with 3RCR when he was the CO there, as are a couple of other people I know.  It was a soldier in 3RCR - the RSM had to take Jimmy aside and let him know he had a bad stutter.  There was a rumour in my unit of a girl that loaded all her lingerie drawer into her ruck sack and when she was questioned by him as to why her issue (old style) gitch wasn't in there, replied "Have you ever tried securing a pad to loose boxers in the field Sir?".  Apparently he looked like a fish out of water as he walked away...

MM

The first trip my staff college course (1970-1971) took was to Gagetown in September 70. JC was a captain in 2 RCR and one of the DS (who had a stutter himself) introduced him to one of my classmates who also had a heavy stutter. It was worth the price of admission.

medicineman said:
An officer in my reserve unit used to be with 3RCR when he was the CO there, as are a couple of other people I know.  It was a soldier in 3RCR - the RSM had to take Jimmy aside and let him know he had a bad stutter.  There was a rumour in my unit of a girl that loaded all her lingerie drawer into her ruck sack and when she was questioned by him as to why her issue (old style) gitch wasn't in there, replied "Have you ever tried securing a pad to loose boxers in the field Sir?".  Apparently he looked like a fish out of water as he walked away...

MM

:rofl:  on the panties    As for the other, I thought it had a ring of truth to the story somewhere.

Old Sweat said:
The first trip my staff college course (1970-1971) took was to Gagetown in September 70. JC was a captain in 2 RCR and one of the DS (who had a stutter himself) introduced him to one of my classmates who also had a heavy stutter. It was worth the price of admission.

Yes, it would have been.  ;D

I will say one thing for the little bastard.  At least he was willing to live the way he demanded we did in the field.  I'll give him that.

All I can say is I'm glad I didn't get down to Suffield for COP COBRA - I had a broken ankle at the time - by all accounts things didn't go well, on one of the good days.

MM

Back