• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supply Tech Ettiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greymatter, I can assure you that he does indeed have all the Army/CEMs gear he's entitled to and requires.

In this case he's talking about wanting to exchange his "old circa 91 arctic gear" for the new arctic gear (which doesn't exist as I pointed out).

He was told "No, your mitts and mukluks are still serviceable" as he's said below.

He was told the proper thing; after all, he'd only be exchanging serviceable arctic mitts and mukluks in for another set of "serviceable artic mitts and mukluks."

His perception is wrong. I think he believes the CWW Boot, CWW glove to be the "new arctic gear", but it's not ... and only Land, Navy, and Air Force personnel posted in Land Force positions are entitled to that Amy bought-and-paid-for gear.

Now, the AF IS running it's own trials on WW Boots as we speak. They are also trying to come up with an Anti-static fleece set, balaclava, gloves etc for Army, Navy and Air personnel serving in Air Operational positions.

It's not like the system isn't trying to upgrade it's equipment and that us Suppies just say "no" because we have the power to do so as his post insinuates. Rather, the fleece is a flight-safety issue for the Air Force. Anti-stat is a huge thing in the Air Op enviornment ... and the Army's kit does NOT meet those flight safety requirments.

Instead of bitching about us nasty supply techs just saying "no" to be assholes, he'll have to realize that are are larger issues being dealt with on the Air Force side of the house which need to be sorted out before they can proceed to contract kit and equipment that has the potential to cause accident/injury to serving personnel if not anti-stat etc in the enviornment that he is currently working in.

That's the real reason that the Air Force hasn't yet purchased some of the Army's very staticy fleece etc to issue to Air, Navy, Army pers working on Air Bases ... it sure as heck isn't because the Pte just felt like being an asshole and saying "no" today.

All true, and your right, I wasnt addressing the current context.  I was being more general and addressing previous comments here and on other threads.  Too many guys are complaining about lack of support from support trades and I wanted to point out that not everyone has the negative experiences they are highlighting.

Bet you're a peach on deployments.

I just want to go on record here and say that although I have not had the pleasure and honor of serving with ArmyVern on a deployment, i've eaten lots of dirt with her here in Canada, and she is by FAR the hardest soldier i've ever served with.  She eats peaches and recycles the pits for ammo!!  As for her Supply wisdom, knowledge and deportment, ArmyVern is head and shoulders above the rest - you'd only BE so lucky to have her help you out of a jam.

'Nuff said.

By the way, i'm an Army guy enforcing policy and procedure on an Air base.  Go figure.  I denied my own troops kit.  THEY were cool with that.

I thought this may fit here.  I was doing a function with supply a while ago when I noticed half of the guys in clothing stores were wearing the new cadpat rain jackets.  I went up the the supply Sgt(who I know well)

me: "hey man, nice jackets.  I didn't know they were in the system yet"

him:  "They are only to be issued to deploying troops"

me:  "oh..............  I didn't know you were deploying anywhere."

him (with broad grin)  "I'm not, drop by and see me when you gets a chance"

I dropped by and got myself a nice new rain jacket.  I am fairly certain that I am not entitled to one, but sometimes it pays to know the right people.  I would rather see one of the fighting troops have this jacket, even if he is not deploying because I don't need to sleep in a ditch or stand on sentry in the rain for hours in the field anymore, but when opportunity knocks you answer the door.  The guys who need it the most are never entitled to it somehow, and the supply tech at the counter who says "no" to the infantry cpl when he asks about getting a new rainjacket probably has one hanging in his locker in back, even though he technically is not entitled to it either.

F****d up system, eh? 

Priest said:
I thought this may fit here.  I was doing a function with supply a while ago when I noticed half of the guys in clothing stores were wearing the new cadpat rain jackets.  I went up the the supply Sgt(who I know well)

I dropped by and got myself a nice new rain jacket.  I am fairly certain that I am not entitled to one, but sometimes it pays to know the right people.  I would rather see one of the fighting troops have this jacket, even if he is not deploying because I don't need to sleep in a ditch or stand on sentry in the rain for hours in the field anymore, but when opportunity knocks you answer the door.  The guys who need it the most are never entitled to it somehow, and the supply tech at the counter who says "no" to the infantry cpl when he asks about getting a new rainjacket probably has one hanging in his locker in back, even though he technically is not entitled to it either.

F****d up system, eh? 

Really? He did and said that??

I think I'll drop him an email tomorrow --- check out the whole story. And, to let him know he can expect a whole bunch of customers knocking on his door that I'd hope he'd treat the exact same way. Perhaps a CC to the Snr Tech will help ensure that. Either way, his problem to deal with now, I'm sure he'll thank you for it - hope you got the story right.

Not that there's no Suppies from Edmonton here on the site that could confirm your details ... because there is.

Yes, sometimes the system gets fucked up --- precisely because people allow it to happen (or abuse it as you have outlined above) ... which just goes to cause dissention amongst those who are also not entitled to the item yet. That's good for morale eh? Something to be proud of? Not. Thanks for pointing it out though ... it is a situation that requires some fixing apparently in your current location.

Priest said:

F****d up system, eh? 

It would seem that someone skipped some ethics training. I wonder if this one could be copied into the Maple Leaf version of that ethics periodical that pops up now and again.

Teeps74 said:
It would seem that someone skipped some ethics training. I wonder if this one could be copied into the Maple Leaf version of that ethics periodical that pops up now and again.

I agree. Ergo my post about addressing the situation tomorrow. The last thing that I need here in this location is 200 phone calls tomorrow from troops to the Clothing Stores Sergeant here on this Base, or from a Unit RSM stating "but troops in Edmonton have been issued it and they aren't deploying ... so where the hell are the items for my staff?" (think it doesn't happen [those phone calls as soon as "so & so heard from so & so"]?? It certainly does.) And then me, as the CSG Sgt's boss spending hours that I shouldn't have to drafting up responses explaining the actualities of entitlements and that the Supply problem is in Edmonton ... not here. We're actually busy enough trying to get our actual jobs done than cleaning up and explaining others' trangressions.

Because someone, according to the story, in Edmonton decided that the scales of entitlement were his domain to break (apparently). Needless, I'll check with the alleged transgressor before I take the post by the member here at face value due to the nature/slant of all his previous posts here so far.

Now ending week 8 of my QL3,

and afterward, going to clothing in Valcartier, for a 2 year contract, pretty happy to go, and already, people that I know are telling me that they sure would like from to give them some stuff...same answer always, If you are allowed to have it, then be it, otherwise, think again before coming to drop by.

I hope, that my sense of ethic will stay the same. I'm there to do a job and based on the rules set by more experience people.

Call me idealist if you want. But I'm not there to make Friends, I'm there to do my job the best way possible.

ArmyVern said:
Because someone, according to the story, in Edmonton decided that the scales of entitlement were his domain to break (apparently). Needless, I'll check with the alleged transgressor before I take the post by the member here at face value due to the nature/slant of all his previous posts here so far.
Hi Vern. I suspect the story is a bunch of bull. Sad.

Give the supervisor in Edmonton a call. You know him well. He's a civilian. I think I'll check this out as well  :)

There is no SGT working in Clothing Stores in Edmonton ! .. 

Take care

Scott

mysteriousmind said:
....people that I know are telling me that they sure would like from to give them some stuff...same answer always,If you are allowed to have it, then be it, otherwise, think again before coming to drop by.

I hope, that my sense of ethic will stay the same. I'm there to do a job and based on the rules set by more experience people.

Call me idealist if you want. But I'm not there to make Friends, I'm there to do my job the best way possible.
Good on you.

Just be prepared for the odd friend.. ::) ... not to like your response and resort to something as the poster above has.

Been there.

Scot57 said:
Hi Vern. I suspect the story is a bunch of bull. Sad.

Give the supervisor in Edmonton a call. You know him well. He's a civilian. I think I'll check this out as well  :)

There is no SGT working in Clothing Stores in Edmonton ! .. 

Take care

Scott

I know.  ;)

I think we all had beers together a little while ago in the NCR. I think you kept me out of crap when I had too many!!  ;D

Or, you at least gave me the big finger with the "Shhhhh Vern ...." when my usual red-headed manner kicked in!!

ArmyVern said:
I know.  ;)

I think we all had beers together a little while ago in the NCR. I think you kept me out of crap when I had too many!!  ;D

Or, you at least gave me the big finger with the "Shhhhh Vern ...." when my usual red-headed manner kicked in!!
the red-headed manner is what is required from time to time.  :)

As far as keeping you out of trouble ...hmmm ... I have a hard enough time keeping myself out of trouble (at times). But your right, some good times were had at those conferences.

Also, it just dawned on me ... the MCpl that runs the front counter in Clothing Stores, if I am not mistaken, is a former Combat Arms type. I'd still be interested in knowing who this "phantom" Sgt is .

Vern, Can not believe that this person is now trying to cause heartache and trouble and discredit the supply world.  You should know the quality of this person opinion from other topics on this forum.  I guess what I am trying to say is consider the source.  I would like to apologize to all Sup tech for the behavior of this person, keep up the good work our front line soldiers appreciate it.

ammo tech 2 said:
Vern, Can not believe that this person is now trying to cause heartache and trouble and discredit the supply world.  You should know the quality of this person opinion from other topics on this forum.  I guess what I am trying to say is consider the source.  I would like to apologize to all Sup tech for the behavior of this person, keep up the good work our front line soldiers appreciate it.

Really, it's OK.

I know (and am friends with) many ammo techs ... I'd never allow my opinion of one to tarnish the others or the trade.

No worries there ...

Scot57 said:
Good on you.

Just be prepared for the odd friend.. ::) ... not to like your response and resort to something as the poster above has.

Been there.

When I was on OJT prior to my 3's I have a friend from BMQ come in looking for the ICE Coat. I told her that because she was navy she wasn't entitled to it. She looks at me and gives me those pouty eyes and says "But Dan, we were in basic together, besides, I see other navy folks wearing it." At which point I said "Yes, we did do BMQ together, and yes, maybe there are navy pers wearing it, but they sure as hell didn't get it from me. Sorry, but I'm not putting my neck on the line so you can have a multi-coloured coat. The IECS coat you have does the same job, it's just green." I don't think she's forgiven me yet. I try to get everyone the kit they need, if I'm not sure I ask my boss, but there is NO way I'm going to put myself in the firing line because someone wants Gucci kit. I'm too new for that crap, I have a full career left ahead of me to screw up, don't want to do it now.

Chapeski said:
When I was on OJT prior to my 3's I have a friend from BMQ come in looking for the ICE Coat. I told her that because she was navy she wasn't entitled to it. She looks at me and gives me those pouty eyes and says "But Dan, we were in basic together, besides, I see other navy folks wearing it." At which point I said "Yes, we did do BMQ together, and yes, maybe there are navy pers wearing it, but they sure as hell didn't get it from me. Sorry, but I'm not putting my neck on the line so you can have a multi-coloured coat. The IECS coat you have does the same job, it's just green." I don't think she's forgiven me yet. I try to get everyone the kit they need, if I'm not sure I ask my boss, but there is NO way I'm going to put myself in the firing line because someone wants Gucci kit. I'm too new for that crap, I have a full career left ahead of me to screw up, don't want to do it now.

Scenarios such as this ... you will learn ... are quite common when one is a Supply Tech.

Those who are your friends ... will remain your friends if you have to say "no". Just always remember that even if the scale says "no", but it makes sense that the troop should have it -- that you get his particulars and the details of the situation and draft up an email through the IC CSG to the CTS contact (your Supr will have the contact info) explaining the sit ... CTS will either come back with a "yea" or a "nay", then you can call the troop back and do the issue using the email as authority. <--- sometimes ... it'll even result in a much needed scale ammendment. Safety boots for engineers anyone (and, BEFORE their QL3 course now too!! So that they can actually wear them ON their QL3 - it's about time)?  ;)  It's that common sense thing. Use it well young Jedi.

Eerily ... update to the "spoken of" incident below ... I've been the recipient of a PM from the poster telling me that I

"should check the base a little closer to home (rather than CSG Edmonton), not that the Sgt there is going to admit he gave me one."

"He" <--- emphasis mine, and not a mere typo as he also clearly used "he" in his original posting.

Funny that -- the ONLY army base close to "home" is HERE. Next closest?? Valcartier PQ anyone?? Eerily too that since I went there as the CSG Sgt in Jan 04 (and I'm a girl), the Sgt has always been a woman. Both since me, have been women I've known for years ... and neither has had a sex change.

Notice how the facts and details of the posted story change ...  ::)

Oh, and I also let him know that we don't have the cadpat raingear on this base yet  ::) -- and won't for another 12-18 months (as of last week's updated forecast).

I'm sure I could have asked for the new Gucci CADPAT rain gear when I got my field kit yesterday, but why bother. There are others that need it more than me. My "garbage bag" does just fine for me. Now, if they throw me on the next TF, then yeah, I might go for it, for uniformity sake. ;) This young Jedi also can't wait for leave to end so he can go back and work. Mmmm, oil changes.

Chapeski said:
I'm sure I could have asked for the new Gucci CADPAT rain gear when I got my field kit yesterday, but why bother. There are others that need it more than me. My "garbage bag" does just fine for me. Now, if they throw me on the next TF, then yeah, I might go for it, for uniformity sake. ;) This young Jedi also can't wait for leave to end so he can go back and work. Mmmm, oil changes.

Nah see -- if you were entitled to one, they would have issued it to you.  :D

ArmyVern said:
Scenarios such as this ... you will learn ... are quite common when one is a Supply Tech.

Those who are your friends ... will remain your friends if you have to say "no". Just always remember that even if the scale says "no", but it makes sense that the troop should have it -- that you get his particulars and the details of the situation and draft up an email through the IC CSG to the CTS contact (your Supr will have the contact info) explaining the sit ... CTS will either come back with a "yea" or a "nay", then you can call the troop back and do the issue using the email as authority. <--- sometimes ... it'll even result in a much needed scale ammendment. Safety boots for engineers anyone (and, BEFORE their QL3 course now too!! So that they can actually wear them ON their QL3 - it's about time)?  ;)  It's that common sense thing. Use it well young Jedi.

Eerily ... update to the "spoken of" incident below ... I've been the recipient of a PM from the poster telling me that I

"should check the base a little closer to home (rather than CSG Edmonton), not that the Sgt there is going to admit he gave me one."

"He" <--- emphasis mine, and not a mere typo as he also clearly used "he" in his original posting.

Funny that -- the ONLY army base close to "home" is HERE. Next closest?? Valcartier PQ anyone?? Eerily too that since I went there as the CSG Sgt in Jan 04 (and I'm a girl), the Sgt has always been a woman. Both since me, have been women I've known for years ... and neither has had a sex change.

Notice how the facts and details of the posted story change ...  ::)

Oh, and I also let him know that we don't have the cadpat raingear on this base yet  ::) -- and won't for another 12-18 months (as of last week's updated forecast).

Ok Vern, when did you issue out that "common sense" to those people? ;D

Also a great thank you goes out to 3 ASG Clothing Stores in finding small enough sized work boots for some of my candidates.

NFLD Sapper said:
Also a great thank you goes out to 3 ASG Clothing Stores in finding small enough sized work boots for some of my candidates.

Thanks ... I will indeed pass that along to them who does the work over in that building.  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back