• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only fixed wing, multi-engine Airforce squadron that would possibly accept reservist pilots off the street is 402 Sqn in Winnipeg, flying the Dash-8.  Like my esteemed colleage Mr Inch has said, the only non-RegF transfer that I know about was this fella with 8k+ hours, including time on the Dash-8.  With 300 hours on non-turbine aircraft, you may possess a slight advantage when it comes to flying the Slingsby at Primary Flight Training (RegF stream), but I highly doubt a Reserve contract will be coming your way. 

The only direct reserve entry plan that I know about is HELICOP - you must already possess your Commercial Helicopters license and have 300+ hours TT - the reserve squadrons in Edmonton, Borden or Montreal would then train you on their leased Bell Jet-Ranger and eventually you would move on to the Griffon.  Your MOSID would be restricted to only flying as a TacHel pilot, you would not be able to transfer to any other aircraft once in.

Bograt said:
Love,

You're a young fellow. Whats a year? Transferring your diploma to a university college and getting it recognized in one of their degree programs is propably the best advice. Just my 2 cents.

Doesn't apply to me.  I'm quite happy as lowly NCM.

This is what I scratched together....

http://forces.versus.com/html/air_force/careers/career_profiles/pilot.html

Community College Entry Plan (CCEP) â “ This program is currently closed. Graduates of the Aviation Technology Diploma programs at the colleges identified under the Canadian Forces Community College Entry Program (CFCCEP) are encouraged to consider applying under the Continuing Education Officer Training Plan (CEOTP).

Continuing Education Officer Training Plan (CEOTP) â “ While a degreed Officer corps is unequivocally the goal of the Canadian Forces, this interim entry plan has been established to meet any production shortfalls. This entry plan will only be used if and when entry quotas cannot be first filled with applicants possessing a Baccalaureate degree.

If you are accepted under this plan, you will be required to sign a Statement of Understanding (SOU) indicating your obligation to obtain a Baccalaureate degree, or make satisfactory progress towards this accomplishment, before the end of your initial engagement. This entry plan may open or close periodically, or have quotas assigned, so frequent contact with your local Recruiting Centre is recommended.

Hey guys, I have a couple questions. I have been searching old threads and can't find the information I am looking for, so im posting a new topic.

I have wanted to be a pilot since I was about 13. After reading the threads i just have a few questions I would like some 1st hand input on. 

I believe i have 3 options, please I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

1) RMC, this would be for 2006. If I can get in, what are the chances of being accepted for flight training? Flying is the be all and end all for me.

2) I could DEO in 4 years, are chances of flight training better as a deo applicant?

3) Say I get accepted for flight training, which I believe I can, and accel.  What happens to applicants who wash out of flight training? are they given the chance to repeat? or are they remustered into technicians/other roles? I really don't see this being a concern, but i would like some information.

3) on the US naval academy's website, it says they can take up to 60 foreign applicants a year.
  has anyone done this/ know anyone who has done this. My dad and step-mom live in the US, I don't see the citizenship thing being an issue. Even though I have only Canadian Citizenship.

What do you think?

Rich

Rich,

I'll try to give you a few answers.

For RMC you apply for specific careers (ie : pilot) just like DEO. Whether you go RMC or DEO once accepted you are in. The differences will lie in the sequence of your training because you will have to fit in 4 years of university with RMC. You can get the details of the training sequence from your recruiter (I believe for RMC you do part of your basic training just before you start at RMC). Whether it's RMC or DEO you will still have to meet all the application requirements (get the required scores on the CFAT, pass the medical, eye exam for pilot 20/20 uncorrected, job interview and the aircrew selection course). So if you feel you have the leadership experience, aptitudes now then go for RMC. If you don't get accepted you could always apply for DEO after you have your degree (and build more experience to make you more competitive).
If you wash out of flight training you will most likely be transferred to another occupation. What that occupation is will depend heavily on which trades are high in demand at the time. I'm sure you can influence the decision somewhat, as long as the trade you want has openings and you're qualified.
Can't help you with the US Navy question, sorry. Try their website, maybe you can send questions through their recruiting site to a recruiter.

Go into your local recruiting office as soon as you can. They will be able to answer a lot of your questions.

This isn't a debate over ethics, morals or policy or an invitation to pre-judgments concerning my self, or situation.   I assure you I've read every possible thread pertaining to this subject in Army.ca, but I just wanted to clarify one thing specifically regarding the Air Force's official stance: Does ANY Hallucinogen use in ones past immediately disqualify you're eligibility for becoming a pilot, or is it screened on an individual basis?

If this subject specifically has been discussed before, I apologize. Thanks.

It is my understanding, and anyone that knows otherwise they can correct me, that it does disqualify you from going pilot even once.  I studied chemistry in university and I will spare you the long names and in depth definitions but basically the military is concerned over this because the active ingredient in hallucinogens manage to find their way into your bodies stored fat.  As a result they can and possibly will reappear at the most random of times and this is a potential liability if you are in an expensive piece of equipment if you happen to have a flashback.  Like I said, this is from my present understanding on the policy but I might be flawed.

Hey all

I know that all the ROTP apps are at Borden going through processing....from what i've gathered, Air crew applicants do CFASC on a rolling basis (correct me if im wrong) in april/may....have any air crew apps for ROTP heard back from borden yet?

Thx

FSGT Lampkin said:
Hey all

I know that all the ROTP apps are at Borden going through processing....from what i've gathered, Air crew applicants do CFASC on a rolling basis (correct me if im wrong) in april/may....have any air crew apps for ROTP heard back from borden yet?

Thx

Question, how do we hear back from borden on if we passed our medical?

If you passed your medical at your recruiting center (the basic check up) and the 2 eye tests then you should be good.....as far as i know we wont find out until the actual selection late april   :p

Hi All

Im just wondering if anyone did glider in Air cadets and if it helped them out with CAPSS

Thx

3 of the ROTP'ers on my course with Air Cadet Gliding experience failed the pilot section of the ASC.

T

thats what i was expecting  :-\......well time to whip out the ol' MS flight simulator lol 8)

The CFRC called me today and said that I had a choice of three dates for ASC, April 11-15, 18-22, or 25-29, plus an additional day in Vancouver to speak with a Military Career Counselor.  I told them that any of the dates will work for me, so Borden will book me into a course, and they will get a hold of me from there.

Would anyone be able to tell me what the interview with the MCC is all about, the LS who called me today didn't really know, all he said is that it was "just a formality" and that the MCC would be asking me "pilot questions".  Does anyone have any further details on this?

Also another question, and this may sound silly(I have done a search, but to no avail), but what is proper attire for the MCC interview, and for ASC?

Thanks in advance,

Planes

In my view, you should wear a shirt and a tie at least. If you have a suit, wear it! It's a very important time of your life and I suggest you dress consequently. Dress as clean as you can!

Just my 2 cents, i'm not even in yet!

Cheers! And good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back