• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Wallace said:
Better late than never......

i have already read that...and didnt find my answer there....please i just need a simple response, 5 lines max... it won't take more than 5 min...
please, ive spent almost 1 month reading everything in these forums...i signed up yesterday to ask these questions, im still dont understand what the proccess is on becoming a pilot...thats why i asked for a timeline of someone who is a pilot. like this one:

age 18: finished high school
age 19: joined the Canadian forces
age 20: finished basic training and started RMC
age 24: finished RMC and started pilot training
age 25: finished pilot training and started working as a pilot for the Canadian Forces

just a simple timeline...

Someone said:
i have already read that...and didnt find my answer there....please i just need a simple response, 5 lines max... it won't take more than 5 min...
please, ive spent almost 1 month reading everything in these forums...i signed up yesterday to ask these questions, im still dont understand what the proccess is on becoming a pilot...thats why i asked for a timeline of someone who is a pilot. like this one:

age 25: finished pilot training and started working as a pilot for the Canadian Forces

Anyone else got a more "ideal timeline" ?

Outlining what ages things must occur at is meaningless. The qualifications must be met and the CF doesn't really care what age people are.

1) Finish highschool
2a) Private Uni/Military Uni/Direct entry
2b) If private uni was selected in step 2a, apply to military.
3) Go with the flow. Things after this point are largely beyond your control beyond doing well on your courses.

Have you read the air force forums here? I know for a fact several of our pilots here have discussed their training in detail...

Someone said:
i have already read that...and didnt find my answer there....

What George posted was not the answer to your question, but rather the tools with which to find your answers. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish.... What I meant by that is that if you learn the site here early on, you will be more likely to find your own answers.

I don't mean to sound rude, especially because everyone here was very patient with me during my application process for pilot. Come to think of it, they're still pretty patient with me.  ;D But you will find examples of the pace of training if you use the search function (A question of mine here which was answered by Supersonic Max, a member who is much further along his pilot training than me. And there are many more.) Take whatever you find with a grain of salt, as courses and their respective waits are shifting constantly. We're not being rude not giving you an exact answer, it's just impossible.

Good luck,

Benny

PS
Urban said:
2b) If private uni was selected in step 2a, apply to military.

Quick nit-pick for Someone's knowledge, you can go to a private (civilian) university AFTER joining the Forces under ROTP. Once you figure out what trade you want to apply for  you can look into entry programs

Someone said:

age 256: finished pilot training to wings standard
age 27: finish conversion training on your first operational aircraft type and start working as a pilot for the Canadian Forces

adjusted timeline

Far too many factors to get any better idea than that.  By the time you get to your first operational aircraft, there could be notably different timelines to each of the respective phases.

I was done college and slinging cargo on a hook at my first line unit 20 months later.  Nowadays, it takes longer than that.

G2G

benny88 said:
What George posted was not the answer to your question, but rather the tools with which to find your answers. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish.... What I meant by that is that if you learn the site here early on, you will be more likely to find your own answers.

I don't mean to sound rude, especially because everyone here was very patient with me during my application process for pilot. Come to think of it, they're still pretty patient with me.  ;D But you will find examples of the pace of training if you use the search function (A question of mine here which was answered by Supersonic Max, a member who is much further along his pilot training than me. And there are many more.) Take whatever you find with a grain of salt, as courses and their respective waits are shifting constantly. We're not being rude not giving you an exact answer, it's just impossible.

Good luck,

Benny

PS
Quick nit-pick for Someone's knowledge, you can go to a private (civilian) university AFTER joining the Forces under ROTP. Once you figure out what trade you want to apply for  you can look into entry programs

LOL, yeah i clicked all the links and read the other pages...thanks for the link of your questions!
i know you guys are tired of answering the same questions over and over, this happens in every forum...i don't mean to be rude but, imagine if teachers get tired of answering the same questions for every class they have, they cant go and say: ''I've already taught that before, if you want to learn it, go back in the past''
i know here it is different, you actually CAN go back and see what was said in the past, but it's too much, LOL ;D, i could spend all year looking for all the info! and i am aware that you guys organized everything with pages of links to go...and I really appreciate it. they really, REALLY helped me! thanks!
what i want you guys to understand is that the info in all those links helped me answer hundreds of questions i had, but there are still some question that wasn't answered yet (2-3 questions, not many) but i guess I'm asking too much LOL...i apologize if this was offensive (this is the problem in forums) to anyone in here, I really didn't mean to. I also thanks everyone for even have the patience of answering my questions here. i know its boring for you...thanks guys! :salute:

cant wait to finish high school and join the CF!
BTW, I got the card from the recruiter in Calgary (my city) and there is and e-mail address on it...can i contact him through that e-mail?

Good2Golf said:
adjusted timeline

Far too many factors to get any better idea than that.  By the time you get to your first operational aircraft, there could be notably different timelines to each of the respective phases.

I was done college and slinging cargo on a hook at my first line unit 20 months later.  Nowadays, it takes longer than that.

G2G

thanks! that's all i wanted! just a basic thing...
ok, so that's a basic idea of what its gonna look like going for pilot right? how about for infantry, sniper? (sorry for the off topic) i promise this is gonna be the last question! lol

Someone said:
....................................how about for infantry, sniper? (sorry for the off topic) i promise this is gonna be the last question! lol

This is an AIR FORCE thread.

Try a quick search of "SNIPER"     >:D    ........................................in the INFANTRY threads.

Someone, here's my timeline:

(late) 16: joined the CF
23: Graduated from RMC
25: Got my CF Pilot Wings

To this date, I'm not qualified yet on the Hornet.  Heck, I didn't even start the OTU.  I'm on the Fighter Lead In Training.  I anticipate being qualified on the Hornet late 26 years old.  Yup, 10 years.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
Someone, here's my timeline:

(late) 16: joined the CF
23: Graduated from RMC
25: Got my CF Pilot Wings

To this date, I'm not qualified yet on the Hornet.  Heck, I didn't even start the OTU.  I'm on the Fighter Lead In Training.  I anticipate being qualified on the Hornet late 26 years old.  Yup, 10 years.

Max

thanks! so you can choose which airplane you want? i mean if I want to be a CF-18 pilot I can but it will take more time...is that right? or do I risk on not being a CF-18 pilot?
BTW when you joined did you have a High School diploma?

@ George Wallace: LOL, i knew it, sorry for the off topic... ;D

Someone said:
thanks! so you can choose which airplane you want? i mean if I want to be a CF-18 pilot I can but it will take more time...is that right? or do I risk on not being a CF-18 pilot?

Co-operation with the Staff is one of this Forum Guidelines and if you can't follow the Guidelines then you will be introduced to the Warning system fairly quickly. Consider this your freebie!

Milnet.Ca Staff

Someone said:

Someone, before someone (see what I did there 8)) corrects you more harshly, take heed of what we've said and DO A SEARCH. There's lots of questions here about which stream of aircraft you select (or which selects you.) Try a search on BFT (Basic Flight Training) at the end of which you are streamed.

Also, try to educate yourself on general CF knowledge. For instance, you should know that Supersonic Max couldn't have joined the Reg Force at 16. He can correct me if I'm wrong but I gather he was a reservist until he decided to apply as a Pilot and go to RMC. There's a lot of info and it can seem like drinking from a fire hose, but it's stuff you should know.

SupersonicMax said:
benny, I did join at 16.  You can join ROTP junior at 16.

Quebec's secondary school system ends at Gr 11, then one can go to two forms of Cegep.  Prep Year at CMR Saint-Jean is equivalent to Cegep, so it's possible to join the ROTP program at 16.

SupersonicMax said:
benny, I did join at 16.  You can join ROTP junior at 16.

Roger, apologies for making the assumption; I didn't take CEGEP and the prep year into account. My point for Someone still stands.

Someone said:
yeah, ill do some more search...thanks guys.

And you can begin your Officer development right away by improving your written communication skills - proper capitalization and punctuation. "LOL" is not punctuation.

Good advice. I'll stop using expressions like ''LOL'', the problem is that I use MSN a lot to talk to my friends and I got use to it. Thanks.

PS: I found more information in the Air Force Forums, thanks guys!

Someone said:
Good advice. I'll stop using expressions like ''LOL'', the problem is that I use MSN a lot to talk to my friends and I got use to it.

The improvement and its immediacy have both been noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back