• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running

Tango18A said:
Life after retirement always has to be considered.

Hell yeah !!!!

being a "hard core, fight through the pain, jump down off of everything, etc..." guy catches up with you in the end.....

And seeing the tough guys end their careers on P Cat all crippled up is sometimes quite heart breaking as they had such big plans for after the Army, and now they can't even get up a flight of stairs with out cringing in pain or worse.

Yea thanks guys but I've already been to the Dr. and his mentality is "your young you can get over it.". So i went ahead and got a pair of orthopedic insoles thinking it would fix the problem and it changed nothing (so much for 300$ eh?). So for now I'm living with it. I was wondering if people like physio therapists could help but i flinched when i heard it was $60 per session and I'm guessing that they "need" several sessions per week for several months -_-... Otherwise I'm waiting on my new medicare card before i go back to my wonderful Dr. to get him to take a more extensive look at it.
Otherwise as i originally asked as a side note, do you guys think that my running times are acceptable for the test? I've been looking around and saw that its better to run longer distances at slower paces rather than shorter distances and quicker paces. I run generally 12-14 km/h for anywhere from 2 -2.5 km in which equates to more or less 10 minutes... Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Most of the running day to day for reg force infantry is minimum 5km.  For you being a future reservist, I would say work on both, although I have no idea what trade you are interested in.  Regardless PT and being physically fit should be important to all CF segments.  I'm sure all this has been covered in the past.

Have you tried rolling your calves? You can buy a foam roller, but a piece of PVC is probably cheaper and will work better.

Just another idea. Not many people know about SMR and how awesome it is.

Have You ever given a defenition of SMR??

Here is what I found. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myofascial_Release which is a drugless therapy which sound alot like a Chiropractor. Not covered by the CF unless Physiotherapy perscribes it.

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_Relaxant which is a drug therapy which must be perscirbed by a M.O.

So which one is it??

It's the first one. I don't know much about chiropractors, but no one has to prescribe it to you. You buy a foam roller or a piece of PVC pipe and literally roll on it in various ways. It's exceptionally efficient at loosening up tight/sore muscles.

Check YouTube for some video examples.

Any kind of therapy is best advised about by an M.O. this way if something goes wrong, the system is in the know about it. And documentation is much easier with 663s and CF98s.

Tango18A said:
Any kind of therapy is best advised about by an M.O. this way if something goes wrong, the system is in the know about it. And documentation is much easier with 663s and CF98s.

It's not "therapy", doesn't need to be advised and nothing can go wrong. Is stretching after you exercise/lift weights therapy that needs to be advised? I would almost place SMR in the category of a necessity if you lift weights and/or run.

Here is an alright video explaining it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM7nKUCpJ6E

Here is one from Eric Cressey demonstrating a lot of different positions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8caF1Keg2XU

The difference it makes is incredible.

Maybe I should have explained it before, but it's really nothing complicated and certainly nothing that someone has to prescribe to you or monitor you doing it.

I have run an 8km in 42 minutes 2 days ago, and it was much easier that I expected. In fact, it's the first, well 2km that is the worst, after that it become easier. After it, I have run a 400meter in 1:35 so I was having plenty of energy left.

I just hope it will continue to keep getting better.

Algae said:
I have run an 8km in 42 minutes 2 days ago, and it was much easier that I expected. In fact, it's the first, well 2km that is the worst, after that it become easier. After it, I have run a 400meter in 1:35 so I was having plenty of energy left.

I just hope it will continue to keep getting better.

Yesterday I ran 7.4km in just over 38 minutes in mid-day (~30 degrees Celsius at the time). I usually don't run at this time of day, but figure I would try. It was one tough go considering I do not have anything to carry water with me (really stupid to run in that weather for that far..) Last kilometer I was VERY hot and really did not want to run.

When do you usually run Algae? I usually run early morning (what we do on course correct?) or late night (~9-10PM). I can run farther with ease. Should I switch my running time over to day or keep them where they are at? Anyone else find it makes a huge difference (I could potentially cut off 1-2 minutes in the regular 2.4km run)? I'm running the 2.4 in ~9 minutes now, which is good (I want it better of course) but would training in the heat opposed to cooler weather make a difference (tolerance wise maybe??)

I also just bought proper running shoes from The Running Room - Helped a lot with my time! Though, they put stress on different muscles (balancing out my running right now, apparently I ran on the outer part of my foot) which is a pain right now, good thing I bought them a month ahead of my training to break them in and get use to them :D

(I underlined questions so they are easier to find in that mess I just wrote)

Well, I run when it's not too hot. I'm going to BMOQ in September, so I guess it won't be 30C. I don't like the heat at all. I would much prefer to go in Alaska then Afghanistan. Since I'm going to be a logistic officer I guess BMOQ will be the most intensive physical training.

So, well, I try to run when it's under 22C :) At this time I'm unable to run 2.4km in 9 minutes. Last time I try I was doing it in 13minutes. But I feel lot more confident now after this 8km run, so I guess I would be able to do it in 11 or 12 now. Currently I start to see the result of my training. It's just started to materialize. So I will keep pushing, but I prefer to run at a slower speed and not to race against the clock. At least not each time, I prefer to simply enjoy my run.

I'm still swimming a lot, I just did 600 meter under 10 minutes. So everything is getting better and better.

I think people here will say to you, learn to run under different circumstances (cold, hot, dry, rainy), but I'm not there yet. I will focus on that later.

Good shoes is important. But for sure, when you run 8km for the first time (I was never doing more then 3.5km before) your feet hurt a bit next day. But nothing too bad. They just need some rest to heal correctly and with time they become stronger.

I would rather be in the heat. The cold annoys me, maybe because I have lived my life in extreme conditions where its more cold then hot (weather where I live goes from 30C+ summers to -40C or below winters and any storms and garbage conditions in between)

I am in for Armoured Soldier, so I'll have to continue my physical progress (fully plan on increasing my abilities as well). If you can do 8km in 42 minutes (~5 min/km, which should give you ~12 minutes for 2.4km) should give you under the time needed (13 minutes 42 seconds? Somewhere in there). If you push it you could hit 11 minutes ;)

I push every run I do, no matter long or short. have to break those walls (points in the run where you have to really push to keep going), and the more you run and the harder you run the easier those walls are broken, some even disappear :D

I wish I had a pool to swim in :( Been a long time since I have swam for anything! As for the feet, mine are good to go, its the inner muscles of my legs that are getting a workout with the new shoes! I ran so much on the outer part I did not have balance between inner and outer leg muscles, which is bad in a way.

Well, same here in Québec, +40C to -40C, but I really dislike +40C. I'm the type of guy who keep my inside house at 22C with a cooling system. I think I prefer the cold, at least you can put more clothes on if needed. But when it's hot, it comes to a point where you can't remove any more.

And we need to do 2.4km in 11:52, not in 13:42. But yeah, I'm sure I can push harder, but 8km was already a wall breaking for me from my previous 3.6km (I was ready to stop at 2.4, then a 5, then at 6, then at 7,4 and I say, well I will push it to 8km.) And I'm sure I could have done a bit more, but I was running out of time. I guess I would be able to run the 2.4 with more confidence now. Because it's always a balance between saving energy vs speed.

Algae said:
Well, same here in Québec, +40C to -40C, but I really dislike +40C. I'm the type of guy who keep my inside house at 22C with a cooling system. I think I prefer the cold, at least you can put more clothes on if needed. But when it's hot, it comes to a point where you can't remove any more.

And we need to do 2.4km in 11:52, not in 13:42. But yeah, I'm sure I can push harder, but 8km was already a wall breaking for me from my previous 3.6km (I was ready to stop at 2.4, then a 5, then at 6, then at 7,4 and I say, well I will push it to 8km.) And I'm sure I could have done a bit more, but I was running out of time. I guess I would be able to run the 2.4 with more confidence now. Because it's always a balance between saving energy vs speed.

Indeed you are correct on the 2.4km time! I was reading the threshold time (my bad!). Here I have trained thinking I had to run 13:43! The Canadian Forces site is all redone (will spend my night reading it now haha) and looks good.

Energy vs. Speed is hard for me...I can never keep pace as I've always been a sprinter and a guy that never kept a steady pace in any sport. Would fluctuate so much, which helped me build a fast recovering stamina...Though, running longer distances really drains me I find. I'm not use to it at all :(

Hello everyone,

I've been training to prepare myself for the BMQ this November but there was just one thing that has been bugging me. I have a corn on my foot(big toe mound) and I wanted to ask if anyone in this forum had a similar experience and had it removed before. It doesn't bother me directly when I run but it really hurts when I accidentally step on edgy surfaces. At first I tried removing it myself but it seems to get thicker and thicker over time. Do you normally see a walk-in doctor or just pay a visit to see a podiatrician?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

gwones

Good2Golf said:
Perhaps it's personal experience then.  I've seen significantly more failures on the shuttle run -- not 0.5, but certainly in the 3's and 4's.  While all elements of the CF fitness program are in the end the individual's responsibility, running is something that the CoC has far greater influence over, especially organizing it at the unit level.

Imagine prepping unit personnel for the Xpress test, "All right everyone, today the unit is going to have a wrist-strength workout," or the BFT, "Alright everyone, grab your shovels and let's hit the gravel!"  ;)

Cheers
G2G

In my opinion that's a cop-out. Getting troops together for a run is EASY, and requires little to no planning, at least in the runs the military does, where there is no quantifiable results to improve upon.  We just run for 45mins, no timed distance, no sprint work, etc...just kill time.

Now on the other hand, getting your troops together and training them on how to properly lift, or doing crossfit workouts, or strongman medley type workouts (scaled down) with pulling objects, flipping tires, suitcase walk, log press, etc (all stuff we have in our compound) is more complicated as you need to get everything set up, teach everyone how to do it, etc.

Also your sarcasm about a wrist-strength workout either demonstrates your lack of knowledge in regards to training or that you are simply trying to dumb this way to much.

you can work more then one bodypart at a time, and get stronger as a whole, carrying heavy objects over distances, or holding heavy items in your hands builds grip strength, but at the same time you could then use those objects to do many other lifts/events.

Biggoals2bdone, in your haste to denigrate my input and to make the case for the complexities of extensive, wide-ranging, proper fitness training that could be done at the unit level, you missed my point.  My point was this: without refocusing the unit onto a heavily PT-biased training program (because other things are Job #1), I noted that running is something that can, relatively easily*, be coordinated at the unit level to be beneficial for the unit. 

As you noted, when you start to get more complex in your range of PT-related activities, you begin to develop the need for a properly implementing PT regime, kind of like what the CFPSA folks are trained for, and implement for our benefit.  My "wrist-strength workout" was a tongue-in-cheek reference (note the smilie) to the Xpres test hand-grip as well as the difficulties that would likely be experienced trying to establish an extensive, varied PT program AT the unit (vice for the unit by CFPSA/PT folks).  Same with the gravel training.

My point remains, that the balance between what a unit can achieve collectively regarding PT, that still allows it to train for all its other mission-essential tasks, tends to keep group/unit training for those PT elements that can more easily be accomplished collectively; running being one of those elements.

Not seeing how this shows ignorance of training fundamentals or a cavalier attitude towards proper fitness by dumbing things down to too much?

Regards
G2G

* - meaning 'provide benefit, yet not become a detracting effort with respect to other unit training activities'

C'mon G2G, you got to drink the Kool Aid man. After all, you've only been in 25+ years. What the heck would you know about collective training and Unit admin?

C'mon G2G, you got to drink the Kool Aid man. After all, you've only been in 25+ years. What the heck would you know about collective training and Unit admin?

Perhaps my experience is skewed by working in and with sister units that have runs, then see the guys going off doing other things like Crossfit, on their own.  ???  I haven't seen unit-level tire flipping PT yet, but then again, I've only worked with the air force, army and non-conventional forces so I don't have as rounded a background as perhaps some other folks do.  That said, I'm certainly willing to learn from those who know what they're talking about.

Regards
G2G

Back