• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running

My old rugby coach use to make us "run" in waist deep water (and snow in the winter), I do it every chance I get to this day.

I don't suggest doing it if you've ever had knee problems though.

armychick2009 said:
Thanks Tango! A very good suggestion and the second time I heard this today! My friend is a running coach (in Italy) and that's exactly what she suggested as well! Being so close to BMQ, she's trying to get me to avoid injuring myself the next few weeks and said the bike would be perfect.

No problem, its exactly what I was told to do when I first got in.

HavokFour said:
My old rugby coach use to make us "run" in waist deep water (and snow in the winter), I do it every chance I get to this day.

I don't suggest doing it if you've ever had knee problems though.

Most of us that have spent quite a bit of time at Combat Arms units have Knee problems. I have problems even walking in snow.

HavokFour said:

She actually suggested that one too!!  Man, you guys are goooooood....

Personally I would use water. All you need is one patch of crusty snow, and boom hello MIR

Good2Golf said:
??? 

Really?  How's that?

how's that...umm gee well how's about when ALL the pt you do is running, and you make long distance events mandatory for troops.

When I mentioned people failing pt tests...I was speaking from PERSONAL experience...i.e WHAT I'VE SEEN...and what I HAVE seen is that most people fail at "strength" portion (being hand grip, push-ups, and sit-ups).  Even though to call it a strength portion is a kind of misnomer...it should really be called strength endurance. Most people I see can run 5-10km, but can't do 1 chin-up to save their lives, or struggle to do 10-20 push-ups...and even then the push-ups, generally speaking are done with bad form. (head bobs without body moving, half reps, hip thrusts, etc)

I have only seen ONE person fail the running portion, and that was certainly not at 0.5

I second the water running, huge decrease in stress on your bones and joints.

Perhaps it's personal experience then.  I've seen significantly more failures on the shuttle run -- not 0.5, but certainly in the 3's and 4's.  While all elements of the CF fitness program are in the end the individual's responsibility, running is something that the CoC has far greater influence over, especially organizing it at the unit level.

Imagine prepping unit personnel for the Xpress test, "All right everyone, today the unit is going to have a wrist-strength workout," or the BFT, "Alright everyone, grab your shovels and let's hit the gravel!"  ;)

Cheers
G2G

Most people I know that failed the express test during BMQ and ended up in RFT was because of the beep test, as you could fail one strength portion and as long as you passed the run, you could stay on course.  There were a few that were there because they failed 2 strength tests, and passed the beep test, but that was very rare.  Aside from the running part, the 2nd most common thing people would fail was the pushups.

And the few times that I've seen the push-ups failed was for form, not amount. The FSP staff in Kingston were hideous at applying a common standard.

Hey guys, i've been trying to get back in shape for my entry exam. i should be due to do it in a few weeks. I've been trying to follow a running schedule that has me running one day and taking one off. Every time i run i go for about 2 to 2.5 km and run it in anywhere from 9m50s to 10m50s depending on how good i feel that day. My question is to anyone who might have the same problem or is knowledgeable enough to give me an idea of what my problem could be. After my runs i have a sharp pain in my right calf that will generally stay for days and get worst if i continue to run or walk. This pain occurs along the inner calf where the calf muscle meets the tibia. I've searched the internet in the past and found that stretching my calf before and after will make the pain less intense and allow me to run once every two days, but the pain never really goes away. Any idea's of what i can do to alleviate the pain, fix the problem or who i can consult?
As a side note, any comments on my readiness for the entry exam and for the military in general will be appreciated.
Finally, as a miniature rant, let me just say that i started the process of enrolling in the reserves in may and i'm still not done. It's been pretty frustrating so far. *End Rant*

genesis563 said:
Finally, as a miniature rant, let me just say that i started the process of enrolling in the reserves in may and i'm still not done. It's been pretty frustrating so far. *End Rant*

Do you know what reserve units are up to in the May-June-July-August timeframe ?

They usualy stand down because the reserve schools standup for a multitude of trades training. That all equals to staff not around to deal with other things.

Adjust your rant accordingly.

CDN Aviator said:
Do you know what reserve units are up to in the May-June-July-August timeframe ?

They usualy stand down because the reserve schools standup for a multitude of trades training. That all equals to staff not around to deal with other things.

Adjust your rant accordingly.
I wasn't really asking for a reply to my rant. If i  wanted one i would have posted this in the personal stories section or something of the sort. Please don't post just to say something stupid or irrelevant or to add another post to your post count. I'm sorry if you work as a recruiter and took it personally but you should be more thick skinned than that. I'm really only looking for an answer to my original question.
Thank you.

genesis563 said:
I'm sorry if you work as a recruiter and took it personally but you should be more thick skinned than that.

I'm not a recruiter and i dont get money for each post so i am not worried about that. I do like rants that are based on facts and if you are going to bitch about something, educate yourself a little first.

I'm really only looking for an answer to my original question.

The next time, post only your question and keep the bitching to yourself.

Well, on my side I have no problem with strength. I can do 14 chin up, plenty of push up and sit up. But I think I have focused more on the upper body strength. So now I have added lot of legs exercises on my training, so I hope it will help with running. (Leg press, dead lift, lunge, squat, etc.) I try to make it really cardio vascular too.

Biking is a good idea, but again, it's not the same as running, I'm way better on a bike. My Cardio is really good in a pool, but when I run, I become tired rapidly, so I guess it's really a muscular problem. They are probably too weak and use too much energy. Also what is cool in a pool, it's that you stay cold and fresh, I don't like to be all sweaty. On a bike, same thing, lot of air flow to keep your temperature low.

But no mather what we like/dislike, the fact is that we have to run, and I will do everything I can do be good at it, and for that I need to keep running.

Thanks all, for those who are leaving in September like me, keep running and I'm looking forward to go for a run with you ;)

The best piece of advice I have received about running was from a female friend of mine who was on the track team at university.
She said that she couldn't run to save her life at the beginning.
In order to start, she would run as slow as possible. Slightly faster than normal
walking speed. She would do this for 30 to 45 min.

I tried training this way and it helped me a lot. I did it for a month and a half.
This way I was able to train my muscles and create endurance. The reason being
is I would always stop a run because of leg and shin cramps.
After training this way for the month and a half, I was able to run slightly faster for 30 min. Then faster and faster as the weeks went by.
I was able to build up my speed and cardio to the minimum standards in only 3 months.

All thanks for my new found ability and love of running go to my track friend.

Genesis563,

I have had a similar problem in the past involving my calves. While I have never had pain that lasted for days, I have experienced pain in my calves during and immediately following long runs. I found that if I simply stretched out my calves for a fair amount of time prior to running, I would never feel any pain or discomfort and am able to run much longer and harder as a result. Your problem sounds different than mine was, but I hope this helps. It's worth a shot.

I went to to a proper running shoe store today and they immediately were able to figure out why I was getting chin pain during and after running. Immediately I felt relief as I tried the shoes on in the store and ran with them, in the store... I'd suggest you go to a running shoe store (a proper one, that actually WATCHES you run with the shoes on) and see if that helps with your tibia pain. You may also have inflammation in there somewhere that takes aday or two to settle, which is why you can run every other day but  - not every day. Try taking a motrin for a few days (not heavy doses, follow the light dosage) and... if you can run a few days without pain, then it's inflammation somewhere. If it is still there, then it's likely something more significant.

A visit to the Dr. might be inorder if the pain is chronic. Just remember the damage done now will be forever.

Tango18A said:
A visit to the Dr. might be inorder if the pain is chronic. Just remember the damage done now will be forever.

Concur with T18A!

Even with good shoes, I was having an issue with my achilles; saw the M.O. and got inserts for my runners...huge difference!

G2G

And it also saves your Back, Knees, Ankles and Feet further down the line. Life after retirement always has to be considered.

Back