• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP Pay Questions ?

ChaosTheory

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey There, I was accepted into the RoTP and have been sworn in.  I will be a CELE and I will be going to a civilian university to study Computer Sciences, at Simon Fraser University here in BC.  My question is, as I have not been told, how does the CF pay for our tutition, books, instruments etc when we are attending a civilian university?  Thank you.

OCdt Josh Weissbock.

On a message, of which you should have been given a copy, is a section that states the contact information for your University Liaison Officer (ULO).  If that information is not there then contact your CFRC/D and ask them.  You will be required to report to your ULO at a certain time and everything will be explained to you about tution, books, pay, etc.

Alright, I've got a question. I found a thread in a search that had a semi-similar topic but it was old and I didn't want to derail the original topic.

My question is to for anyone who is doing ROTP at the RMC or has done it: How much can you afford out of your monthly pay? I'm asking because I'm looking at applying up in a couple of years but just bought a truck. Is it possible to be able to afford a total monthly payment of about $380 outside of deductions and living expenses?

From my experience, yes you can afford that. However, the caveat is that you will not have a lot of money for other things. Case and point: last year, in fourth year, I was making combined payments of close to $800/month from December through until May. So, it is possible to do but you must ensure that you properly budget your money in order to make sure that you have the money to pay your bills. I was netting approximately $600/month and was only able to make payments because I planned ahead and saved money to make sure I could meet all my obligations.

Thanks Big Foot, it's reassuring that you tell me this :). Is that including what you get deducted for your housing and the portions that go to food, etc.?

Yes, though it is not including things like credit card bills, cell phone bills, things of that nature. Just remember though, it is doable just watch your finances.

Hey, I just got into ROTP, transferring from the reserves. Unfortunately my time in wasn't enough to keep my former OCdt pay and they just about cut it in half. However, qualifying for PLD makes it a pretty sweet deal anyway.

So today I went in to get paid, and they said that I pay about 40% taxes, which is a huge deduction for me that I didn't plan on, especially making <25 000. Is this similar to what most of you pay? I thought 40% tax was for like, wealthy people. But yeah. Please let me know.

It does seem a bit high. A problem that occurs with taxes is when an enrolment is processed late (ie. Enrolled in Aug but processed in Oct). It's hard to say speaking in general terms. All that I can tell you is that we do process tax adjustments back to the member if the taxes are wayyy out of whack.

I suggest you speak with your pay clerk and request that your file be sent up to be audited. You might get some back depending on your situation.

Did you check to see if your most recent pay was your retroactive backpay from the recent pay increase? There is a chance that you are still in the Reserve Pay System, and haven't been transferred over to the Reg F one. I also CTed in to ROTP, and the only pay I recieved this week was the backpay from my reserve time (Apr-Sep 08). Talk to your ULO to ensure you are in correct pay system, and get a copy of your pay statement to be sure. Due to vested pay rights, it is unlikely that you are getting paid any less that you had been while you were in the PRes, although I am not 100% sure on that one.

Radcliffe said:
Hey, I just got into ROTP, transferring from the reserves. Unfortunately my time in wasn't enough to keep my former OCdt pay and they just about cut it in half. However, qualifying for PLD makes it a pretty sweet deal anyway.

So today I went in to get paid, and they said that I pay about 40% taxes, which is a huge deduction for me that I didn't plan on, especially making <25 000. Is this similar to what most of you pay? I thought 40% tax was for like, wealthy people. But yeah. Please let me know.

When you take into account your pension contributions, CPP/QPP , income tax, EI and all the other deductions that get taken from a RegF paycheck, 40% is about right. I have no doubt that by "taxes", this is what they meant.

Thanks for all the replies, but yeah I'm sure that my pay is being reduced despite vested pay rights, I suppose I don't have enough time in. (Only a year)

If it's true that deductions are about 40%, that's really crappy and I'm probably going to have to take on a part time job in order to pay rent and bills. :( Do you still get the income tax part back when you file taxes because you're a student?

Once I get on the system and get a look at a pay stub I'll check to see what deductions are actually being made. Thanks for your help everyone.

SMP said:
Did you check to see if your most recent pay was your retroactive backpay from the recent pay increase? There is a chance that you are still in the Reserve Pay System, and haven't been transferred over to the Reg F one. I also CTed in to ROTP, and the only pay I recieved this week was the backpay from my reserve time (Apr-Sep 08). Talk to your ULO to ensure you are in correct pay system, and get a copy of your pay statement to be sure. Due to vested pay rights, it is unlikely that you are getting paid any less that you had been while you were in the PRes, although I am not 100% sure on that one.

As has been discussed in several threads (and even mentioned in the DAOD on CTing) vested pay rights DO NOT exisist when making the leap from the PRes to the Regs.

Hatchet Man said:
As has been discussed in several threads (and even mentioned in the DAOD on CTing) vested pay rights DO NOT exisist when making the leap from the PRes to the Regs.

Well the formula for a CT when you do ROTP is: all of your class B days + (.25 x all class A days) = x If x < 365, there are no vested pay rights. X > or equal to 365, vested pay righs apply. So, in my case I had 450 class A days and two summers class B, so 115 plus 95 class B days = 210. Therefore I get paid shit.

You'd have to be in the Pres for three years and have like three full summers of class B to get sweet pay, and then you'd get corporal pay all through university, and you'd be gold. So those high school privates who join when they're sixteen or seventeen have the right idea.

Talk about taxes!  I found out yesterday that my posting allowance was taxed at (approx) 48.3%!!  :eek:

As far as the Res to Reg pay calculations, I personally found that it depended on who was calculating your pay.  For instance, my time counted towards pension and I got Pte IPC 3 when I joined (after 5 years Class A & B, 1 year Class C and 1.5 years RegF time).  Other people who joined after me, with less Res time (and no Reg), kept their Cpl rank.  Go figure.

PMedMoe said:
Talk about taxes!  I found out yesterday that my posting allowance was taxed at (approx) 48.3%!!  :eek:

As far as the Res to Reg pay calculations, I personally found that it depended on who was calculating your pay.  For instance, my time counted towards pension and I got Pte IPC 3 when I joined (after 5 years Class A & B, 1 year Class C and 1.5 years RegF time).  Other people who joined after me, with less Res time (and no Reg), kept their Cpl rank.  Go figure.

Everyone is considered individually.  What you never included in your post was things like what positions they may have held in their Unit, what courses they may have had, and what deployments the may have had.  Those are all considerations that are taken into account, as well, towards the offer of IP level, Rank, etc. 

George Wallace said:
Everyone is considered individually.  What you never included in your post was things like what positions they may have held in their Unit, what courses they may have had, and what deployments the may have had.  Those are all considerations that are taken into account, as well, towards the offer of IP level, Rank, etc. 

I realize there is info missing.  Most of the personnel I knew had no "special" courses besides their QL3 of QL5 (Res).  I do know that a calculation method came out later but was only retroactive to a certain date, much like when the requirement for 5 years service to get 25 days of annual leave was changed to include reserve time.  I think the biggest point against me was that although I was QL5 qualified it was in a different trade.  Not that it particularly mattered as all of us did our QL3, QL5, etc, again. As we both stated, it is done on an individual basis.

PMedMoe said:

That is why you have to use it for Mortgage buydown (probably not an option as you went IR IIRC).  I love my mortgage rate and the low(er) payments makes up for losing PLD and LDA. :)

Radcliffe said:
Well the formula for a CT when you do ROTP is: all of your class B days + (.25 x all class A days) = x If x < 365, there are no vested pay rights. X > or equal to 365, vested pay righs apply. So, in my case I had 450 class A days and two summers class B, so 115 plus 95 class B days = 210. Therefore I get paid crap.

You'd have to be in the Pres for three years and have like three full summers of class B to get sweet pay, and then you'd get corporal pay all through university, and you'd be gold. So those high school privates who join when they're sixteen or seventeen have the right idea.

Despite this topic being a good 10 days, I thought I'd clarify something. To get 'sweet pay', you don't have to be in the 'Mo for 3 years and three full class B summers. I was in for just under a year with no class B time and I'm getting more then double what a 'normal' OCdt would make (I clear about $2800 a month after taxes).

If anyone is interested I can find the CBI I used to justify (and eventually receive) getting the proper pay.   

EDIT: The CBI ref I used was 204.211(10)(b) found at http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cbi/pdf/CBI_204_Sec_2.pdf

That was the ref used to justify me getting the amount I get now. Multiple ROTP types who joined from the 'Mo with less then a year in got vastly better pay, so don't just let it slide, you probably are entitled to it if you have at least finished BMQ.

I have seen the same thing Piper, there were guys in my old unit who left for RMC after completing their SQ's. Less than a year in, and getting Pte 1 Reg F pay. They pay you the equivilant to what your prior pay was. I saw no decrease in my pay, in fact it increased, when I went ROTP.

Back