• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMC After a University Degree

Is it sound to wait till 2012 September to enroll to ROTP? since I have missed 2011's enrollment date.
Does RMC only start in September?
I have studied in university for 2 years now.
But the psychology degree I'm taking won't get me to any trades,
it's not "direct" degree to any trades, quoted from my recruiter.
So DEO might be a disadvantages for me.

nickanick said:
Is it sound to wait till 2012 September to enroll to ROTP? since I have missed 2011's enrollment date.
Does RMC only start in September?
I have studied in university for 2 years now.
But the psychology degree I'm taking won't get me to any trades,
it's not "direct" degree to any trades, quoted from my recruiter.
So DEO might be a disadvantages for me.

Don't worry about that. Many trades have "recommended" degrees, but they will still take people with a recognized degree in presumably anything [assuming you meet the other qualifications and there are no other suitable candidates with the recommended degree].

What trade did you want to apply for?

dangles said:
Don't worry about that. Many trades have "recommended" degrees, but they will still take people with a recognized degree in presumably anything [assuming you meet the other qualifications and there are no other suitable candidates with the recommended degree].

What trade did you want to apply for?

ASCO or NCM ENG

A degree in Psychology should get you into MARS, pilot, Artillery, Infantry, and Armour without question.  It should also be acceptable for a wide variety of others (including Logistics).  Remember you don't even have to have an Engineering degree to be an engineer in some cases (Physics and Computer Science work for some Engineering Officer occupations).

dangles said:
Well you do not require a degree for any NCM position.

Sorry, What I meant is the NCS ENG, the naval combat system engineer officer.
Do you think there is a different in joining the army res and navy res,
if NCS ENG is what I would like to pursue in the future?
Would joining the navy res benefit me in the position of the merit list? e.g. to get on a topper position on the list.

Thx guys

nickanick said:
Would joining the navy res benefit me in the position of the merit list? e.g. to get on a topper position on the list.

Thx guys

The Naval Combat System Engineer Officer is a trade that is Navy only. If you wanted this trade, first you would have to improve your English skills. Second, you would have to join a Navy reserve [assuming you meet all qualifications and they are hiring]. So yes, I think there is a big difference in joining the Army reserve and Navy reserve for this occupation.

gcclarke said:
If you are what the CFRG considers to be an "Undergraduate Applicant", you must require between 3 and 1.5 of subsidized education in order to get a degree that would qualify you for your target trade, unless you're a BMOQ by-pass. If this is the case, you must attend a civvie university.

That part confuses me. So a PLQ, 6A-qualified ex-reservist sergeant doesn't have the option of applying for RMC, presuming BMOQ by-pass?

Brasidas said:
That part confuses me. So a PLQ, 6A-qualified ex-reservist sergeant doesn't have the option of applying for RMC, presuming BMOQ by-pass?

Sorry. Miswording on my part. If you're an Undergraduate Applicant, you must attend a civvie university, BMOQ bypass or not. I guess they only like sending people to RMC for the full 4 years. I think the BMOQ by-pass just affects which range of subsidized education required might allow you to be considered an Undergraduate Applicant, although it didn't specify whether or not it bumped it up or down.

Someone with a BMOQ by-pass can still go to RMC, assuming they need the full 4 years.

nickanick said:

Thx guys

To be frank, it often seems like it's quicker to apply fresh off the street than it is to join up in the reserves and then attempt a component transfer / occupation transfer. Administration can be a pain sometimes. I always advise people not to join up in one trade solely with the intention of changing trades later. It's never a guarantee.

I finished my Business degree with low GPA. I'm thinking of applying ROTP for my second degree in science. My Gr12 marks were pretty good, my top 6 were 82%. Do I have a chance?

In my opinion, unlikely. The ROTP programme is primarily concerned with providing an initial degree. That being said, there's always exceptions. The only answer that really counts is the one you get from Recruiting.

bdb1231 said:
I finished my Business degree with low GPA. I'm thinking of applying ROTP for my second degree in science. My Gr12 marks were pretty good, my top 6 were 82%. Do I have a chance?

I personally don't think the Army is in the business of paying for you to get extra degrees because you didn't like your marks. If you were already enrolled.... maybe.

I'm getting a second Science degree to get into a technical trade. Because with my Business degree I can't get an interesting job in CF.

I'm not doing my degree again to get a better GPA, I'm doing my degree again to get me into something I like to do.

I probably have much more education, job experience and more mature than 95% of the high school grads. Would CF pick me over a fresh grad for ROTP?

bdb1231 said:
I'm doing my degree again to get me into something I like to do.

First of all, you're not, "doing a degree again," you're doing another degree.

Second, I dare say that there are very few officers graduating from RMC who have actually used their degrees in their military work.

Personally never heard of someone going to RMC or going ROTP who already has a degree.  Heard of people going to RMC who have not completed a degree though.

Strike said:
Second, I dare say that there are very few officers graduating from RMC who have actually used their degrees in their military work.

3.5 years of a 4 year BBA complete and I'm wondering if there's anyone who will actually use anything from this degree for their civlian work either ;D

Strike said:
Personally never heard of someone going to RMC or going ROTP who already has a degree.  Heard of people going to RMC who have not completed a degree though.

I am in this position. I have applied for ROTP Nursing after having already completed a BSc and BEd. I have had no problems during my application and was advised that my education actually makes me a better candidate for the program. I would assume that they would not sponsor another degree if I had chosen a trade that simply required any degree. Since nursing is such a specific degree (and in demand), it makes sense that they would sponsor similar trades for second degree applicants.

bdb1231 said:

I'd say you have a chance, but your chance is likely lower than it would be had you just applied straight out of High School. If you had done well on your first degree, that wouldn't be the case. But, to be frank, you've already proven that you struggle academically at the University level, and you're now asking the taxpayers to subsidize your education for what could arguably be considered a more difficult program. When figuring out whether or not to extend this opportunity to yourself or someone else, the personnel involved in the choice must take into consideration their evaluation of how likely you might be to succeed in your studies.

Now, of course, you you didn't post your GPA, so it's entirely possible that your idea of what constitutes a "low GPA" and my idea of the same are wildly disparate. This is just the thought process that ran through my mind, but I think it's safe to assume that whoever gives the final nay or yea will be considering the same things.

Just for clarification, if you want to do ROTP at RMC, you will be starting again as a first year, regardless of how many years of university you already have. You may get lots of transfer credits that you can apply to your degree (depending on your program and what you've already done), which will lighten your course load, but you will start again as a first year, as RMC is not just about the academic aspects. This is especially true in first year. I was lucky enough to figure out a way to skip second year, as I had 19 transfer credits from other universities (I already had a degree that was deemed not applicable to my trade). But, skipping any part of the program is definitely not the norm, and only about one cadet a year does that at most (and it's usually due to CEGEP credits). RMC has a very structured program, and it's really hard to make it fit around different circumstances (but not impossible).

VeryMerry said:
I am in this position. I have applied for ROTP Nursing after having already completed a BSc and BEd. I have had no problems during my application and was advised that my education actually makes me a better candidate for the program. I would assume that they would not sponsor another degree if I had chosen a trade that simply required any degree. Since nursing is such a specific degree (and in demand), it makes sense that they would sponsor similar trades for second degree applicants.

I did say RMC.  ROTP nursing is a tad different as you need that specific degree in order to enter that trade.  Not comparable.

If all you want is some "Experience" i'm sure you can get it, just depends how long you want. When I toured RMC, i was sitting in a psychology stat class, the guy who was giving me the tour pointed out that this older guy, was a major and went back to RMC to do some classes , I forget the reason, but it is possible.

Obviously once you are in the CF if you can some how argue/persuade why you need to go back to school, you can do it but it will mean you have to add more years to your contract.

You can also call the CFRC. :p

Back