• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves In Toronto

the 48th regulator said:
ps ignore Armyvern,  she just got released from the home of the beret bewildered...
Not true; she is simply procrastinating to avoid packing up her remaining belongs to move back to Gagetown tomorrow. Arghhhh.

Hatchet Man said:
And ArmyVern, I would hope you wouldn't be caught "dead" in a kilt, being dead is kinda crappy, unless you are a zombie, those are cool  >:D

Yeah ... dead was indeed the operative word in the sentence. Good on you for picking it up.

I have indeed worn a kilt once or twice.

Ok, back on topic.

I'll still be going to highschool after I join, would one regiment be better than the other with school involved?
I WAS kind of convinced to join the 48th highlanders because their weekday nights are on Fridays, until i found out about the kilts and Balmorals  ;)

Nothing wrong with kilts and balmorals (FYI we only wear kilts on special occaisons, its not worn as part of the regular uniform).  It give you a little piece of idividuality if you will.  And you defintely stand out in the crowd if you happen to be the only one wearing one (which is sometimes a mixed blessing).  But seriously, what items of dress you would be wearing should be at the very bottom of the list when choosing a regiment. 

Sukintu said:
Ok, back on topic.

I'll still be going to highschool after I join, would one regiment be better than the other with school involved?
I WAS kind of convinced to join the 48th highlanders because their weekday nights are on Fridays, until i found out about the kilts and Balmorals  ;)

Although the weekly parade nights may differ, both Units will have some weekend work involved; they also do combined training as noted below.

Best thing to do is talk to the recruiters from each Unit ... and go with your gut.

Vern

Hey whats wrong with the kilt and balmoral!  :mad: Once you go through your trades courses you will change your mind dont worry.

- Cheers

- Syed

interesting.......my 16th birthday is in December, so I'm in no rush. My parents don't care if i go or not.

Does the 48th provide a para course, like QOR?

Sukintu said:
interesting.......my 16th birthday is in December, so I'm in no rush. My parents don't care if i go or not.

Does the 48th provide a para course, like QOR?

QOR get priorty for the para course, however several 48ths have their wings, anyone from any regiment (in theory) can go on a jump course provided there is space, you pass the requirements and you get down on your knees and grovel like no tomorow.  I have no hard numbers, but we seem to do alright getting guys on, must be something to do with sharing the same building as the QOR  8)  Worry about a para course later, there are other more important hurdles first.

Hatchet Man said:
QOR get priorty for the para course, however several 48ths have their wings, anyone from any regiment (in theory) can go on a jump course provided there is space, you pass the requirements and you get down on your knees and grovel like no tomorow.  I have no hard numbers, but we seem to do alright getting guys on, must be something to do with sharing the same building as the QOR  8)  Worry about a para course later, there are other more important hurdles first.

Important Hurdles? I've kind of been through that stuff at my previous school. We basically did the same thing as BMQ, except no fire arms and it was shorter ( well not really), so I kind of already get the feel of how BMQ might be. I was told that my school was harder than BMQ training in general from reservists themselves. Pretty NEAT!

Another Toronto Inf unit is better...and I learned that the hard way...  >:D

Sukintu said:
Important Hurdles? I've kind of been through that stuff at my previous school. We basically did the same thing as BMQ, except no fire arms and it was shorter ( well not really), so I kind of already get the feel of how BMQ might be. I was told that my school was harder than BMQ training in general from reservists themselves. Pretty NEAT!

I doubt any school for someone under 16 can recreate the mental stress put on by nco's in a 2 month summer BMQ course, the inspections, the yelling.
Even the SQ field excercise was physically and mentally exhausting.

popnfresh said:
Another Toronto Inf unit is better...and I learned that the hard way...  >:D

whats that unit?

Future Unknown said:
I doubt any school for someone under 16 can recreate the mental stress put on by nco's in a 2 month summer BMQ course, the inspections, the yelling.
Even the SQ field excercise was physically and mentally exhausting.

Well, we got yelled at quite a lot when we first got there, plus we were inspected by Ex-Army people, so they knew all the scams and tricks of the trade, so if we got caught it was major discipline. Not just the 25 pushups that i hear from the reserves, pack laps and stuff, and it gets to wayy more than 25 pushups if we're lucky. The student's parents had to sign stuff so that the staff could do this too,basically a behaviour modification school for BAD kids. Althought i wasn't really one  :'(

Sukintu said:
Important Hurdles? I've kind of been through that stuff at my previous school. We basically did the same thing as BMQ,

No you didn't no matter what you think.  What you went through is nothing like what you will go through on your BMQ, SQ and BIQ (doubly so, when talking about regs)

except no fire arms and it was shorter ( well not really), so I kind of already get the feel of how BMQ might be.

No you have no idea what BMQ is like, you only think you do, and you are sadly deluded in your thinking.

I was told that my school was harder than BMQ training in general from reservists themselves. Pretty NEAT!

Doubtful, or they were being facietous.

Sukintu said:
Well, we got yelled at quite a lot when we first got there, plus we were inspected by Ex-Army people, so they knew all the scams and tricks of the trade, so if we got caught it was major discipline.

Yelling thats nice, BMQ is lot more than just yelling

Not just the 25 pushups that i hear from the reserves, pack laps and stuff, and it gets to wayy more than 25 pushups if we're lucky.

Who told you, you only ever do 25 pushups on BMQ, they are talking out of their ***.  On all your courses I guarantee you will do a helluvalot more than 25 pushups.

The student's parents had to sign stuff so that the staff could do this too,basically a behaviour modification school for BAD kids. Althought i wasn't really one  :'(

So you went to one of those boot camps for brats basically?  Trust me, it is NOT the same as BMQ (even a reserve BMQ) 

the 48th regulator said:
There are other units in Toronto?

dileas

tess

Rumour has it 8)

Sukintu you are way out of your lanes here. Take some friendly advice from someone who has taught more GMT/BMQ courses than you can imagine and switch from send to receive for a while.

popnfresh said:
Ask around. They are the best. It's widely known, so just ask what the best unit is....  ^-^

haha ok..... what's the best unit?

the 48th regulator said:
Shhhh it's the 48th, however being from some other regiment, he is embarrassed to admit it....

dileas

tess

Hah. I'm not even in this "best regiment", and yet I know my place.  ;D

A certain arrangement of letters on an epaulette strikes fear into my heart, and always will...

But yeah the 48th is great for fashion ;)...

Cheers,

popnfresh said:
Hah. I'm not even in this "best regiment", and yet I know my place.  ;D

A certain arrangement of letters on an epaulette strikes fear into my heart, and always will...

Rearrange the letters and share to us!

Back