• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve working more than the minimum 37 days a year?

ThatsLife

Inactive
Reaction score
I don't know what forum to put this into so i'm guessing this would be the correct one.

Alright, i'm joining the reserves as opposed to regular force because of my relationship right now. I've been reading up on the reserves and it says "minimum 37 days a year"  but would it be possible, say perhaps...work every day through the week? sort of like full time, minus the living on base thing? is there a maximum number of days you work? I'm not really sure how this all works, i've used the search functions and didn't find the answer to my questions.

What i'm meaning to say is...would it be possible to work full time as a reservist?

ThatsLife said:
would it be possible to work full time as a reservist?
Yes, but why not join the Regular Force if your goal is full-time CF employment?

Well, because i'm in a relationship and wouldn't want to jeopardize it by being stationed in Quebec or anywhere else other than Vancouver.

Look up the terms and conditions of a Class B Reservist contract. That seems to be the route you're leaning towards, mind you im not sure it will fit into what you want exactly.

if your relationship means as much to her as it does to you, why wouldnt she follow you if you were posted?  or just join the navy and hope to stay in B.C.

Sh0rtbUs said:
Look up the terms and conditions of a Class B Reservist contract. That seems to be the route you're leaning towards, mind you im not sure it will fit into what you want exactly.

"Class B service is performed by a member serving for a duration of 13 or more consecutive days of paid service in support of the Reserve Force, the Cadets, or the Regular Force. The work involved is usually in a temporary position on the instructional or administrative staff of a school conducting training, or when a member proceeds on such training or is on duties of a temporary nature when it is not practical to employ members of the Regular Force on those duties. This service is also used to provide continuous support to Reserve Headquarters units and to the Regular Force. The reservist on Class B is paid at the same rate as that which applies to Class A service, and from the same budget.

Class B annotated ``A'' service involves service in established positions in support of Primary Reserve or Cadet activities. The annotation ``A'' indicates that these positions must be filled by reserve personnel and that they are authorized for continuous service 365 days per year. These members are paid on the same basis as Class B reservists." 

I'm having trouble understanding this.

Krazy-P said:
if your relationship means as much to her as it does to you, why wouldnt she follow you if you were posted?   or just join the navy and hope to stay in B.C.

That's something I have to talk to her about. It would be great if she was willing to relocate, but she's really, really, really (0.33 repeater) close to her family and I wouldn't want to take her away from them. And concerning your suggestion on joining the Navy.......i'll just pretend you never said that  :p

ThatsLife said:
"Class B service is performed by a member serving for a duration of 13 or more consecutive days of paid service in support of the Reserve Force, the Cadets, or the Regular Force. The work involved is usually in a temporary position on the instructional or administrative staff of a school conducting training, or when a member proceeds on such training or is on duties of a temporary nature when it is not practical to employ members of the Regular Force on those duties. This service is also used to provide continuous support to Reserve Headquarters units and to the Regular Force. The reservist on Class B is paid at the same rate as that which applies to Class A service, and from the same budget.

Class B annotated ``A'' service involves service in established positions in support of Primary Reserve or Cadet activities. The annotation ``A'' indicates that these positions must be filled by reserve personnel and that they are authorized for continuous service 365 days per year. These members are paid on the same basis as Class B reservists." 

I'm having trouble understanding this.

Can't say I blame you.  "Bureaucracy speak" is something you'll eventually get used to, if you join the military.

What it's basically saying is that Class "B" reservists are temporarily employed on a "full time" basis.  - Think "office temp" on civvie street.  This type of service applies when you are on course, some exercises, etcetera.

"Annotated A", on the other hand, are employed full time, but ONLY in support of specific activities (as stated, in support of Primary Reserves and Cadets).  These folks are usually found in the Orderly Rooms of Reserve Units, and Reserve Brigade HQs.  (For those of you out there waiting to jump, I know there are other positions - I'm simplifying here).

Class "A" time refers to the Saturdays/week nights that you would attend as a "normal" reservist.

Don't worry about which budget the money is coming from - it's not your problem - that's why God invented Adjutants and Chief Clerks.

I'm not sure if this helps - if not, ask more questions - you'll get more answers.

I may be wrong since it's been a while, but 37 days a year is what each unit budgets for each member to train in any given fiscal year.  A reservist may work up to 120 days a year on Class A.  There are limits though.  At 60 or 80 days of class A training, a member requires a waiver from the Brigade headquarters to continue to train up to 120 days.  After that, they cut you off or they need to place you on a class B contract.

I used to hit my max every year in terms of Class A training and I only remember one year where they actually cut me off in the middle of February.  Being crazy, I continued to train on a voluntary basis until the turn of the fiscal year.  The unit made it up to me over time.

The reserves is not meant to be a full-time job but there is enough work at each unit to employ several people on a full-time basis.  How they work the numbers is magical but the CO usually has a say in convincing higher ups to allow soldiers to continue to work beyond the 120 day max provided the budget can handle it.

I would not join the reserves in the hopes of getting a lot of work once the basic training portion is over.  The soldiers who train the max number of days are usually guys who have been around for while and can perform a multitude of tasks and who can work unsupervised.  They don't keep you around if they have to chase you down to get things done.

PJ D-Dog

Back