• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Racism in Canada (split from A Deeply Fractured US)

Racist meme circulating in Canadian military sparks apology, investigation from leaders

Military police are investigating reports of a service member spreading racist pictures even as top defence officials apologize for their slow response to questions about systemic racism in the Department of National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces.

Thomas and Vance did not provide specifics about the allegation that a member of the Armed Forces had distributed racist pictures except to say that it was reported to have occurred in Quebec and specifically targeted Black people.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7091550/racist-meme-canadian-military/

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/defence-leaders-apologize-for-slow-response-to-racism-as-forces-investigates-meme-1.4994057

Career suicide via social media?

Is making fun of another race racist? Or can it be someone just being an asshole? Does the word get overused or incorrectly used? Could racism in Canada be exasperated by our shit-posting culture?

Do people who respond/claim "all lives matter" to "black lives matter" statements et el harbor some kind of subconscious bias towards recognizing racism against black people?

You probably wouldn't call a black couple  Tyrone and Latisha if you didn't know their names.  Why does it seem okay, if not trending, to call a white couple Chad and Karen? Or stereo-type "take me to the manager" white women as Karen?Is pointing out double standards a passive-aggressive form of racism?

Jarnhamar said:
You probably wouldn't call a black couple  Tyrone and Latisha if you didn't know their names.  Why does it seem okay, if not trending, to call a white couple Chad and Karen? Or stereo-type "take me to the manager" white women as Karen?Is pointing out double standards a passive-aggressive form of racism?

To be honest, I thought "Chad" and "Karen" were attitude stereotypes, not race stereotypes.  There can definitely be Chads and Karens in all races.

"Racism" means whatever the user wants it to mean.  As long as there is no agreed definition, people talk past each other.

David Marcus at The Federalist:*

"There are two basic definitions of racism in the United States, one roughly associated with progressives and one roughly associated with conservatives. The former describes racism as the failure to acknowledge and seek to redress systemic discrimination against select disadvantaged minority groups. It is very broad and captures everything from unconscious bias to white supremacy. The latter views racism as making assumptions about, or taking action towards, an individual or group on the sole basis of their race. It is narrow and generally requires belief, intent, and animosity.

These definitions don’t simply differ; to a great extent they actually contradict each other. Much of the contradiction stems from the fact that the progressive definition of racism requires that an advantaged individual or group must be attacking the less privileged. The more conservative and narrow definition of racism requires no appeal to power structures, only to bias, and can be committed by anyone towards anyone."

*Don't bother with the obligatory "media bias" complaint.  The two paragraphs quoted are all that is relevant to the point.

Dimsum said:
To be honest, I thought "Chad" and "Karen" were attitude stereotypes, not race stereotypes.  There can definitely be Chads and Karens in all races.

Had to look them up in the Urban Dictionary.

Karen
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Karen

Chad was too disgusting!

Jarnhamar said:
  Why does it seem okay, if not trending, to call a white couple Chad and Karen? Or stereo-type "take me to the manager" white women as Karen?Is pointing out double standards a passive-aggressive form of racism?

White people, in my opinion, don’t seem to care if they are discriminated against by race. https://youtu.be/87LGmm1M5Is

Quirky said:
White people, in my opinion, don’t seem to care if they are discriminated against by race. https://youtu.be/87LGmm1M5Is
  Oh yes they do.  Every time the government runs a competition and a non-white wins there is resentment.  You can't convince the loser that it was anything other than colour, sexual orientation, or handicap that won it for the other guy.  And there is a lot of true stories behind that attitude to reenforce the negative feelings.  From white I have witnessed and experienced, most, like over 90 % of people are not racist by nature.  There are definitely exceptions but the vast majority of folks start off as accepting until an event such as relayed above occurs or until they see another race getting an advantage that they don't share because of colour.  Here is a simple example: check out any college or university and find out how many white students are on burseries or scolorships and then compare that to the number of indigenous students living on handouts.  Instant resentment

I just filled out an RFI for a Federal government proposal, literally half the questions revolved around "Are you a indigenous business or how will you help or employ indigenous businesses/people". I am all for a hand up, but even for me it's a bit much and the message is that it's impossible for a equally qualified business to compete fairly with a indigenous one for government contracts. I have seen what to much of this has done to Malaysia and it's very hard to scale back the handouts without being accused of racism, even when they are becoming a detriment. I know on one major project a FN company got a contract that was clearly to complex for them (it was a tough one for anyone, much less a brand new company, with new employees) the corporation had to hire another contractor to basically hold their hands through it as they could not be seen to fail. No one wanted to talk public about it though.

Oops....

A video posted by the Public Service Commission (PSC) that depicts only white bureaucrats sent the wrong message to minorities and failed to reflect the diversity of the federal public service, Treasury Board President Jean-Yves Duclos said today.

The PSC, an agency of the federal government that manages "merit-based hiring" and helps develop hiring policies for the larger public service, posted a short video to its social media channels on Friday to mark National Public Service Week, an occasion meant to recognize the contributions of the country's public servants.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/public-service-all-white-bureaucrats-video-1.5622772

daftandbarmy said:
Oops..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/public-service-all-white-bureaucrats-video-1.5622772

Wow. I’m just glad I don’t have to grow up in this society, just a few more years and I can retire and watch the world burn down from a quiet place in the mountains.

It won't burn.  But people are going to find it a damned uncomfortable place to live with everyone walking around on eggshells hoping no zealot uncovers some indiscretion.

Brad Sallows said:
It won't burn.  But people are going to find it a damned uncomfortable place to live with everyone walking around on eggshells hoping no zealot uncovers some indiscretion.

We're there already and have been for years.  :2c:

Brad Sallows said:

So, what some people feared would happen with SHARP and Operation HONOUR? 

Relax. 

I suppose fears of what SHARP etc would lead to were hypothetical.

People getting fired because the mob demanded a head is not hypothetical.

daftandbarmy said:
Oops....

A video posted by the Public Service Commission (PSC) that depicts only white bureaucrats sent the wrong message to minorities and failed to reflect the diversity of the federal public service, Treasury Board President Jean-Yves Duclos said today.

The PSC, an agency of the federal government that manages "merit-based hiring" and helps develop hiring policies for the larger public service, posted a short video to its social media channels on Friday to mark National Public Service Week, an occasion meant to recognize the contributions of the country's public servants.

That would be a first, normally they are falling over themselves to add in every group they can think of. The joke was the dream employee was Gay, transgender black blind Lesbian woman in a wheelchair. With one employee you get to check so many boxes. In Vancouver it's almost impossible to have a all white office. the only group I see missing from being hired in government was Persian, because they generally look down on government jobs.

Colin P said:
That would be a first, normally they are falling over themselves to add in every group they can think of. The joke was the dream employee was Gay, transgender black blind Lesbian woman in a wheelchair. With one employee you get to check so many boxes. In Vancouver it's almost impossible to have a all white office. the only group I see missing from being hired in government was Persian, because they generally look down on government jobs.

You forgot to mention "bilingual".  :nod:

One of the things that raises my eyebrow is that when you devolve your perceptions of a person to the point where you start with their skin colour, you eliminate that person's unique history. A Kenyan immigrant descended from the Kalenjin people is not going to have the same cultural origin as someone descended from the San, for example. Yet they are both 'Black' by North American reckoning.

How many people are good, decent neighbours with people who would effectively be their sworn enemy in their country of origin? When I was at Sheridan, I got to watch with pride as an Israeli classmate proposed to his Iranian girlfriend - and neither family had an issue with it, because that was the best illustration of why both families came to Canada.

My sister-in-law (the Kenyan referenced above) made an interesting point where we were discussing how one applies their perception of what is and is not beautiful to people outside of their own ethnic group, which I honestly can't entirely discount. There appears to be a certain element of jealousy that underlies much of the racist behaviours.

I do not comprehend racism, as it seems to me like dissolving a relationship with a member of one's extended family simply because one does not like how that relative carries on with their life. There's generally no benefit to it whatsoever, and plenty of harm - the least of which is a seed of animosity.

RCMP officer drags student down hallway while handcuffed. Steps on her head when she tries to lift it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyuXUoGwbPc&app=desktop

Student talks about the incident.
https://youtu.be/2lxhL7i0luw

Video looks bad...

Curious to hear from some of the front line officers here.  Isn't there a better way to move someone, rather than cranking the shoulders back like that? 

Drag by ankles rather than wrists backwards & up by the head?  Stay in the room, if safety permits, until backup arrives?

Back