• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question, Help

Chemoney

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is NO way I can become a pilot without 20/20 vision.  I was told by someone that you can't even have laser eye surgery and become one.  If not, is there something that may change in the next 8 years? I am in Grade 9, and I have my heart set on being a pilot, but i recently went to the eye doctor, and I need a very small perscription.  I am a great, wellrounded student, and I was just wondering if I have no chance now.  If I don't I'd have to change my career path, become a different kind of officer.  Help would be greatly appriciated. :cdn: :'(

I'm afraid you must have perfect vision for CF pilot. (And they will not accept laser correction).  There are several threads on this issue - try looking under the search mode.

cheers, mdh

Not only 20/20, but a bunch of other standards to meet, too (colour-blindness, refraction, etc.) ...

OTOH, this suggests 20/20 vision is for DEOs only (different for ROTP?): http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/pilot/Pilot_e.pdf
(see footnote under "Attitude, Aptitude, Altitude," bottom left of page 3) ... kincanucks, can you clarify?
(This is old information and no longer applicable).

So how did the guy on page 4 in the pic just to the right of the "Jet Training" heading get in?  ;) 

Hint: Look at what he is wearing...

WannaBeFlyer said:
So how did the guy on page 4 in the pic just to the right of the "Jet Training" heading get in?  ;) 

Hint: Look at what he is wearing...

Once you are in your vision can deteriorate a certain amount, so there are pilots who wear glasses: also for returning pilots the standards are lower.

Nonetheless, for new Pilot applicants the vision standard is V1, part of which is 20/20 uncorrected.

WannaBeFlyer said:
So how did the guy on page 4 in the pic just to the right of the "Jet Training" heading get in?   ;)  

That gentleman is an NFTC civilian instructor "flying" the Harvard 2 simulator at Moose Jaw.

Back