• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PRES Sup Tech Course Duration

rage said:
anyone know if there will be an option of mods in the near future. getting that kind of time off work is difficult.

None in the works that I'm aware of. Simply too many sections, process' and regulations applicable to Sup Techs in the performance of their daily duties; way too much to get a "basic" understanding of, and that, indeed, is all you are getting even with it's current length.

MSO overload pretty much sums it up! Oh, and you become an expert on how to copy and paste! lol

Well, I am getting tired of waiting for something to change. The "hurry up and wait thing" I could tolorate for a while but can't do it any more. I am going to see what being a CIC with the Army Cadets intails. 3 months off  for a ql3 just isnt realistic for my civie job. Is anyone in a simliar situation as me?

rage said:
Well, I am getting tired of waiting for something to change. The "hurry up and wait thing" I could tolorate for a while but can't do it any more. I am going to see what being a CIC with the Army Cadets intails. 3 months off  for a ql3 just isnt realistic for my civie job. Is anyone in a simliar situation as me?

Unfortunately 3 months is what it takes for our trade to obtain just the very basics.

On top of that, there's future hazmat packaging/handling/transport/disposal courses, standard packaging courses, procurement courses, FMAS, POL handling, ... etc etc

The 3 months only gives you the basics of our sections, and of our variously used computer databases and systems. It's the QL4s (OJT) portion where you will get down and dirty in the trade and then, dependant upon which section you are assigned to (POL etc) ... it's back to Borden (or elsewhere if the course is run elsewhere) for AvPOL (even if you're serving with the Navy or Army -- they have whirleybirds at those locations!!)handling etc.

It's a technical trade, with various laws regarding procurment, hazmat, WHMIS, DC etc coming into play. The Sup system is considered the entry point of these items into the system vice being considered the "end user", thus compliance with statutes governing their purchase/transport/storage etc is a very important thing.

Although it is possible that one would never work in any of the sections requiring specialization courses/trg -- it is also quite possible that throughout one's career, one could eventually work in many or all of them to some capacity.

Just seen the course dates for 08: 2 JUN - AUG 20, something like that. Awesome! No way in hell I can get that time off from work.

rage said:
Yeah, I'm like you. I'm waiting for QL3, but it is very difficult to work around the courses. That's what I really hate about the reserves. Most of us can't get full time work with the reserves, when we are only SQ qualified, yet we can't get the time off from our civie jobs. I'm not like you, exactly, in that I only have a part time civie job. However, how do you find a job that fits around your courses? I kind of wished that they trained us right out of SQ, or trained us on parade nights.

Maybe if they broke it down into modules for the specific situations, then that would be better use of instructors. In my regiment, I'll probably never use a lot of the skills. I only need the basics of kit exchanges, plus how to manage the goods in the stores. Any skill that won't be used would only be forgotten.

It would be really cool if we could take it by correspondance.

rage said:
Just seen the course dates for 08: 2 JUN - AUG 20, something like that. Awesome! No way in hell I can get that time off from work.

Where did you see these course dates?

i googled cfsal 2008 course calendar. if you are going on course you should be getting course loaded before it is too late. i'm not going.

There's also PRes Sup Techs courses run out of Camp Aldershot in Nova Scotia. They are same length however.

I'll see what I can pull up on courses scheduled this summer for you all today when I go into work.

Vern

Just to let you know,

I just got word of my Pres supply course (QL3) this summer from May 22 til august 8 total: 11 weeks (rounded down), things change...allot... Ill spent my summer in Valcartier...all tough there are rumor's that it might be held in Montreal...but rumors are rumors.

:)

A PRES held in Valcartier? And this starts next month? This is just weird; I thought CFSAL was the only place other then Aldershot for QL3 Sup Tech courses. What is the scoop on this course?

rage

Could be because its a franco course.

I know in the past CFSME had franco courses held at Valcartier but now they seem to want to have everything done in Gagetown.

Back