• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pre-BMQ

jerrythunder

Inactive
Reaction score
hi there, i have a situation and i was wonering if anyone could help me. Right now, since my group(everyone who is awating summer BMQ since we missed winter/spring BMQ) is confined to doing Quarter Master jobs and other tasks.( last thursday when i went in, i stacked some tables then hung out in the mess till i had to go home since there was no work for me to do).

i was wondering if anyone could provide a website that could show how to do proper military manoevers( such as saluting and marching, turning, standing at attention)  my group and myself are very eager to learn and get a jump start on BMQ for the summer.

Jerry Thunder,

I haven't found any websites that could help you.  However, you will of course learn all these basic military skills at your BMQ.  In fact, you might be, as I was ;D, sick of drill after having many, many classes of it per week in the sweat box buildings at St. Jean.  This was during IAP, however BMQ will be similar. 

The only thing I can suggest is to watch the other troops at parade ( I assume you are a Primary Reservist?) and observe their sharp drill to pick up some pointers.

Cheers and Good Luck on your BMQ!
Quag

Lucky me, my group has already been taught all sorts of stuff like polishing shoes, standing at attention, at ease, easy, rank structure.

My best advice is go into BMQ a blank slate, the instructors will teach you everything you need to pass. Though it is good you want to learn early it may lead to bad habits which are very hard to break.

thanks everyone, last night when i went in a corpral Redman i think his name was said that he will be showing us how to read maps and use the compass and such as well as show us the basics of drill(no marching tho) and how to salute. i am very happy that im going to be learning something new( for the past 3 weeks me and my pre-bmq section have been stacking tables and more tables) just last night we got to trace all of the roads of CFB Petawawa so they could be seen under that red light. then we had to Map Tac it(nasty sticky stuff!!!) is anyone else out there in right now and is waiting for summer BMQ?

Well this sounds like the shortfall of your unit.

In my unit(just as an example, not saying we are better then anyone else), we have a training coy. Right now it is a Capt running it, and myself and 3 other MCPL, Cpls the staff it. We pretty much teach them BMQ. This is proper stuff, right out of the Battle School lesson plans that they will get taught on the summer in. We do everything fromdrill, dress, and deportment, to map and compass, to rifle drills. If it is a group that has done their BMQ in say the fall, for the spring we will start on the things they will learn on the SQ, machineguns, and the like.

From what the guys we have taught tell us, they show up or course more prepared then anyone else, so it makes their course less stressfull, allowing them to put all their effort into perfecting their skills.

I dont know if this is a perfect way to do things, but, untill the member finishes their SQ, they cannot participate in section level training. So we offer them training opertunities, so they are not "stacking tables for 3 nights in a row". It keeps them motivated, and ready to go.

This is how we do it, most dont that I know of. It seems to be working...so....

I hate to say it, but, as somone who's picked up quite a bit of loose change working as a storesman, if they're working for your local RQ, they're being gainfully employed... there's always work to be done there and never enough people to do it... the work often sucks, but it's the nature of the beast...

And jerrythunder, don't rag on map tack, it's wonderful stuff, trust me, some day you'll be complaining because you can't get your hands on enough of the stuff :)

hey there, last night the corpral in charge of the pre bmq section told us to bring in our tac vests and helmets from now on and that next thursday night we will be doing drill!!! this is looking good! :warstory:

foerestedwarrior said:
Well this sounds like the shortfall of your unit.

In my unit(just as an example, not saying we are better then anyone else), we have a training coy. Right now it is a Capt running it, and myself and 3 other MCPL, Cpls the staff it. We pretty much teach them BMQ. This is proper stuff, right out of the Battle School lesson plans that they will get taught on the summer in. We do everything fromdrill, dress, and deportment, to map and compass, to rifle drills. If it is a group that has done their BMQ in say the fall, for the spring we will start on the things they will learn on the SQ, machineguns, and the like.

From what the guys we have taught tell us, they show up or course more prepared then anyone else, so it makes their course less stressfull, allowing them to put all their effort into perfecting their skills.

I dont know if this is a perfect way to do things, but, untill the member finishes their SQ, they cannot participate in section level training. So we offer them training opertunities, so they are not "stacking tables for 3 nights in a row". It keeps them motivated, and ready to go.

This is how we do it, most dont that I know of. It seems to be working...so....

Our unit has a PAT Platoon as well. its run a a couple of Sgt's.. mostly alot of BMQ/SQ Prep kinda stuff... last night they got to be enemy force for us while we practiced Section attacks.... some good refresher trg for us, and some good fun for them.

Okay Guys, I'm getting a little jealous here.  I have NO opportunity for pre-BMQ training.  My SQN said they'll have us recruits all in for an informal evening of,what I am guessing...Q &A.  I have to get my husband and his engineer buddies to teach me very basic drill/saluting, dress and deportment, map and compass, rank structure etc..especially now that I know most are gonna get some prior.  I wonder, though, if it wouldn't be bad to learn stuff prior as I would think "THEY" want to teach us all from scratch.  What do your current CPLs think of that?  Do they warn you that it may be different there? Jerry, Where are you going for BMQ?  Are you reg?  what trade?  later, GH

It's better to arrive at BMQ with no prior knowledge of any military stuff because you might have picked up a bad habit from who ever taught you.
I've espcially seens this true of former cadets who join.

Take my 2 cents for what they are worth.

greenhorn, i am going Reserve Infantry (unit: SD&G Highlanders) doing Summer BMQ in Meaford Ont.

On basic you will be taught drill from the ground up. The staff might march you to the drill square to teach you, but the first day on the square they will act and teach you as if you have never walked before let alone marched. They will break every command and action from turning to stopping to even the physical act of marching into multiple steps that you will do in "squads" calling out the number as you do it. It is aimed at the lowest common denominator, anyone should be able to learn off of it, and if you have previous training you may go insane. What might be good to learn beforehand is rank structure, it is very hard to teach that wrong. Dress and deportment also isn't to tough, do as your current chain of command says, but remember that when you get on course you are in a different world, if you are told to dress in a slightly different way, contradictory to how you have been taught... the way you are being told is the correct way. Don't argue, feel free to go back to the way you used to after the course, but the whole lesson of basic is how to follow orders, no matter how stupid they may seem. An example is bed making, I have never seen a hospital corner off of course, but on course, they will be your new friend :)

Pat

Hey,

My BMQ course was switched from Meaford to Petawawa, is anyone else going there?

Hey guys I just found out I was accepted. I leave for Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu august 19 and basic starts on tuesday the 21 for me.

P.S. I just wanted to let evryone on the site know how thankful I am for everyones imput on so many subjects throughout the site. Without it I may never have gotten to the point I'm at now.
"No drug, not even cocaine, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we’re looking for the sources of our troubles, we shouldn’t test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power."
- P.J. O'Rourke

Back