• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot Ejection & Fighter Crash

Sask HCAO

Inactive
Reaction score
Check out this video at an air show where the two pilots eject, then the plane crashes.
Fortunately no-one was hurt. I think that's an SU-27, but I'm not sure.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jetcrash.html

pardon the sarcasm, but

1989----------you---------------------------------------------Present.

LOL Really? When did this happen? I got it off of EBaumsworld, so it didn't have the date.

Not to keep this thread alive on purpose, but the best part of it was watching the two Russian pilots slug it out afterwards.  Some news teams got vid of them duking it out... ;D

Cheers,
Duey

Originally, I thought this video was of the SU-27 crash in the Ukraine where 78 people died in 2002. I believe the pilots were charged in that crash and found guilty.

Duey said:
Not to keep this thread alive on purpose, but the best part of it was watching the two Russian pilots slug it out afterwards.   Some news teams got vid of them duking it out... ;D

Kind of reminds me of the crash video in which two MiG-29's collide at RAF Fairford during an airshow in 1993. Nobody was hurt thankfully. Some of the news coverage captured the entire event but what was unusual was the moment one of the pilots hit the ground after ejecting, he stood up, disconnected his gear, then very rather casually lit up a smoke and walked away with the most rediculously calm look on his face. Hardly the reaction you would expect. It was almost as if it were part of the show. If I find it, I will post a link. (I have found the video but not of him lighting up a smoke and walking away.)

These demonstration crashes always erked the western airforces when it was seen first hand how efficient/advanced the Russian ejection seats were beyond western technology...

MG said:
the moment one of the pilots hit the ground after ejecting, he stood up, disconnected his gear, then very rather casually lit up a smoke and walked away with the most rediculously calm look on his face.

Well, one usually works harder on the part that is required the most.....

Bruce, point I was making is that if the same kite failure and ejection had happened from a western aircraft, the pilot would have probably been really beat up (may not have survived ejecting with some western systems from low altitude).

The Russian ejection seat system was tested with the aid of live dummies taken out of the Russian prison system (along with some good engineering) which contributed to its outstanding performance.

Quote,
with the aid of live dummies taken out of the Russian prison system

.....you guys are killin' me this morning..... :crybaby:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18425/post-311741.html#msg311741

I had no idea there was such a thing as a demonstration crash. I hope the job pays well.

BFGoodrich Completes Acquisition; Expands Position in The Ejection Seat Industry
(Source : BF Goodrich Co. ; issued March 6, 2000)

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?prod=1784&session=dae.16972255.1135182187.Q6mBasOa9dUAABSTzuA&modele=jdc_1

CHARLOTTE, N.C.---The BFGoodrich Company announced today that it has completed the purchase of the outstanding stock of The IBP Aerospace Group Inc. Previously the companies announced a letter of intent on Dec. 2, 1999 and indicated they would close the transaction in the first quarter pending government approvals.

As a result of the transaction, BFGoodrich now will be able to offer the K-36/3.5A ejection seat for U.S.- built aircraft. The seat, considered to provide unmatched pilot safety, has been adapted by IBP and Zvevda, a Russian manufacturer, for U.S. production and use in American-built aircraft. The new technology is part of the company's existing aerospace segment. BFGoodrich is one of the world's leading suppliers of aerospace components and systems with 1999 sales of $3.6 billion.

David Watson, President, Maintenance Repair and Overhaul and Landing and Safety Systems Groups within BFGoodrich Aerospace, said, "We are delighted that we can now offer manufacturers of military aircraft the K-36/3.5A seat, widely acknowledged as the most advanced ejection seat in the world. The combination of the proven K-36 seat and soon-to-be released BFGoodrich inflatable restraint technology promise to further enhance the capability to protect our pilots in the future. We are on the verge of what is quite possibly the greatest development for the protection of our tactical pilots since the jet age.''

Watson also noted that the BFGoodrich Safety Systems Division integration of the K-36/3.5A program offers new market opportunities internationally and supports the United States - Russian government to government initiatives for future joint programs.

The K-36/3.5A seat, which was developed in Russia, is recognized for its outstanding ability to protect the occupant at all ranges of the ejection envelope. The seat has been demonstrated in operation above 700 knots and can accommodate occupants of all sizes. By utilizing stabilizing booms, air deflector, limb restraints and variable rocket technology, the K-36/3.5A seat offers superior pilot protection.

The company expects that it will be able to offer these advanced ejection seats within two years for use on U.S. built aircraft flying anywhere in the world. The Joint Strike Fighter, which is currently in development and retrofit opportunities for the F-5 and the T-38 aircraft, are excellent applications for the K-36/3.5A ejection seat. The company expects to obtain U.S. Government funds to support the K-36/3.5A qualification efforts.

And this comparison of western and Russian ejection seat technology...
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/eject.htm

Within the last 10 years, dramatic escapes from Russian fighter aircraft have captured the attention of military pilots and aviation enthusiasts around the world. The low-altitude ejection from a MiG-29 just prior to ground impact at the 1989 Paris Air Show and a pair of miraculous escapes from two exploding MiG-29s that had collided over Fairford, England, in 1993, vividly demonstrated the potential downside of flying high-performance, military aircraft. The pilots ejected successfully thanks to the K-36D ejection seat designed and built by the Zvezda Research, Development and Production Enterprise in Russia.

The K-36D ejection seat and its associated life support equipment are designed, tested, and produced under the direction of Professor Guy Severin. Professor Severin, a member of the prestigious Russian Academy of Science, has devoted his life to developing and perfecting life-support and life-saving equipment for air and space systems. His achievements include the design of the cosmonaut seats, pressure suits, and the first extravehicular maneuvering unit for the Russian space program; aeronautical fire suppression equipment; and escape systems for fighters, bombers, VTOL aircraft, acrobatic aircraft, and the Russian Buran space shuttle.

The K-36D ejection seat provides directional stability and crew protection features that significantly reduce the risk of injury during ejection, especially at the higher speeds associated with fighter aircraft operations in wartime. Successful K-36D operational ejections have occurred at speeds of 729 KEAS and Mach 2.6. The aerodynamic forces encountered at high speeds can cause severe neck, spine, and limb injuries. Our experience with Western ejection seats, which are aerodynamically unstable and have little or no limb restraint, indicates that the risk of major injury rises exponentially from about 350 KEAS to a high probability of fatal injury near the seat's structural limit, usually about 600 KEAS. The fact that the aerodynamic forces increase as the square of the velocity has made even incremental improvement of the performance envelope very difficult.

Russians have always excelled in bang seat technology.

There's another vid just posted in this forum, of the NFTC Hawk ejection in Moose Jaw.  They ejected much earlier than the russian did, with a far less decending vector, and one guy came out with serious injuries.  That's a Martin Baker seat

short final said:
Russians have always excelled in bang seat technology.

There's another vid just posted in this forum, of the NFTC Hawk ejection in Moose Jaw.   They ejected much earlier than the russian did, with a far less decending vector, and one guy came out with serious injuries.   That's a Martin Baker seat

There's a little more to the story than that. The guy that got seriously injured, got injured because he landed with his seat pack, which IIRC, broke his pelvis and his femur. I can't remember the whole story surrounding it, but I believe they're going to a torso harness for the Hawk vice the integrated harness. Martin Baker has found that the torso harness limits injuries much more than an integrated harness.

Forgive my ignorance of these matters of the air, but I have to ask -

1) what is a "seat pack" and why do pilots get hurt on ejection from cbt aircraft? (I'm assuming that it's the landing part)

2) One of the posts says that the Russians have successfully ejected a pilot at Mach 2.6 - is this a typo?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Just a few links I found on the subject:

Zvezda - Manufacturer
http://www.zvezda-npp.ru/english/00.htm

Photos, overview, testing, photos
http://www.ejectionsite.com/k36seat.htm

The K-36D Ejection Seat Foreign Comparative Testing (FCT) Program
(selling copies of the report)
http://www.stormingmedia.us/49/4921/A492123.html

GO!!!  OM had the ejection info...a seat pack is essentially a large box lunch with a cushion on top of it that sits in the seat tub, but is physically attached to your harness, so that when you eject, you take your survival kit with you.  Once you're released from the entire seat proper after the rocket motor fires, your chute will open, then you "release" the seat pack, which will let it drop several feet below you....kind of like dropping your ruck on the lanyard (?) before you hit the ground.

Cheers,
Duey

Let's see if I can remember all this.

You sit in the seat, on your seatpack, which clips to your chute harness. It contains amongst other things:
a one man life raft;
a days rations;
first aid kit;
shark repellant;
dye marker;
flares;
signal mirror; and
rescue radio.

When you are about to eject:
Visors down;
Feet back against the seat with heels and knees together;
Initiate your bail out bottle (pull the green apple);
Pull your ejection handles;
Hands in your lap.

When the handles are pulled:
The canopy initiator fires releasing the locks and jettisoning the canopy;
Once the canopy is clear, the rear seat rocket fires and sends the seat up the rails;
once clear the front seat will fire and leave the a/c;
at the top of it's arc, your buckle will initiate, releasing your shoulder and lap harness;
the "butt snapper" will initiate and kick you clear of the seat (this is a strap that runs from th top of the seat, down your back, under the seat pack and is attached to the front of the seat pan. It is actuated and wound up by a ballistic inertia reel at the top rear of the seat.

Once clear of the seat, your "rip cord" which is still attached to your buckle and seat has been pulled. It is attached to the "barometric release" which will allow you to free fall to 15000 ft +/- 500 ft (IIRC). This works in conjunction with your bail out bottle which force feeds you 90% oxygen. These systems are designed to get you to a warm and oxygen rich ambient atmosphere in case you've blacked out on ejection. A very real possibility when you pull about 8-10 G's leaving the cockpit.

If you are conscious and landing in a field or water, you pull the handle on your seat pack and it will release all the contents on a lanyard. Your life raft, which is at the end, will self inflate. If you are coming down into the trees, leave the pack secure and use it to lead you through the branches.

I'm sure I've forgotten some of it, it's been twenty years since I taught bail out procedures for High Altitude Indoc, but that's the general gist. Some may have even changed with the advent of zero/zero seats. I'm sure a zoomie can fill in the blanks.

Recceguy, sounds good to me!  Ahhh...HAI in YED...nothing better than Extra helping of babyback ribs, the Blooming Onion and several pints of Guiness at Tony Roma's immediately prior to the chamber ride...oh, that and make sure you sit next to the door when it's time to unmask and exit the chamber after the run! :D

Cheers,
Duey

Back