• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ottawa Remembrance Day

Out of curiosity, anyone going to make a special trip into Ottawa to attend?

My girlfriend wants me and her to drive down to Ottawa for the parade/ceremony.  Im not going in uniform though.  Just casual dress.  In case I can't make it to Ottawa, does anyone know where the ceremony will be held here in Montreal?

I think it is absolutely disgraceful that some full-time CF members will not be or are contemplating not wearing their DEUs on this most solemn day.   I think this may because of one or all of four reasons:

1.   Not enough respect for those who have fought and died to keep us free;
2.   Too freaking lazy;
3.   No discipline instilled in them because of lazy and ineffective leadership; and/or
4.   Their DEUs don't fit anymore and because of their piss poor planning they did not order new ones in time (PC'd).

A bloody shame that for one freaking day some people can't make an effort.   Shameful.

I've personally overheard a few people on my QL3 sister course complain about wearing them and actually trying to think of a way to get out of it. I couldn't believe my goddamn ears.

I love to see leave passes on my desk for people trying to get out of parade.

I used to say go see the COXN and he can sign it.

Just watched Crash Land on CBC, that was pretty sad to watch fellow CF members going through agony. (before somebody jumps me, I know its on another thread). Thanks!

I went to my son's school today, it was a pretty cool ceremony.

I like that guys casual dress statement.

1.  Not enough respect for those who have fought and died to keep us free;
2.  Too freaking lazy;
3.  No discipline instilled in them because of lazy and ineffective leadership; and/or
4.  They are too fat to wear their DEUs.

...Or soldiers like me who don't yet have DEU's....  Try not to make such statements.  They don't reflect too well on your personality.

Nope, there are plenty my size.  Unfortunately, i'm a rather new trooper, and in the reserves, you are not entitled to DEU's until you are fully qualified.  Since I became qualified, I found out that the supply depot in my area (Longpoint) is open at hours when I work.  I got a day off of work to get sized, but they told me that I had to wait for my clothing to come from Ottawa as that is their new policy.  They don't carry the clothing anymore.  They size me and then place the order and my clothing is sent from Ottawa.

I got a call stating that my clothing is ready, but I have unfortunately not been able to take more time off to head all the way down there to pick it up. 

Is that enough detail for you?

But anyway.  As per my first request.  Does anyone know if/where the ceremony in Montreal will be held?

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=feature/week2005/W05_events/W05_details&eventid=1931
I have no idea where Place du Canada is, but apparently there is one there.

Not a problem, bud. Besides, I know what you mean about not being able to go in uniform. Unfortunately I have my arm in a sling at the moment so needless to say I won't be wearing a uniform. Physio has said that if I'm supposed to wear a uniform, I gotta wear tracksuit :S I was supposed to be on parade in Ottawa, but I guess I can't be now. It sucks, but thats life.

Kilts look awesome, wish I had one, but alas, air doesn't really wear them except for our few pipers. Instead I get the joy of riding herd on 30 cadets at Beechwood cemetery and the Vanier legion tommorow. Oh joy........dumb cadets....

kincanucks said:
I think it is absolutely disgraceful that some CF members will not be or are contemplating not wearing their DEUs on this most solemn day.   I think this may because of one or all of four reasons:

1.   Not enough respect for those who have fought and died to keep us free;
2.   Too freaking lazy;
3.   No discipline instilled in them because of lazy and ineffective leadership; and/or
4.   They are too fat to wear their DEUs.

A bloody shame that for one freaking day some people can't make an effort.   Shameful.

Oh I'll were my DEU's alright and with a sense of pride, but that won't stop me from complaining about the DEUs I was issued.
In reference to #4 "They are too fat to wear their DEUs." Well, I'm not actually fat, in fact, those who know say I'm scrawny. I just had the worst tailor working at NDHQ. Feels like I'm wearing a corset.
Secondly, at least for the Signal Corps, I believe our uniform is waaaaaaay under decorated. To the point where we look like a bell boy/girl. I think we should be like the Americans and plaster our uniforms like an antique shop showcase.

Of course I can get them replaced but is it worth the two times a year I wear DEUs? And besides, got to have something to complain about

Have a somber----appreciative------drunk with a vet (in that order) Remberance Day!

Lost_Warrior said:
Nope, there are plenty my size.   Unfortunately, i'm a rather new trooper, and in the reserves, you are not entitled to DEU's until you are fully qualified.   Since I became qualified, I found out that the supply depot in my area (Longpoint) is open at hours when I work.    I got a day off of work to get sized, but they told me that I had to wait for my clothing to come from Ottawa as that is their new policy.   They don't carry the clothing anymore.   They size me and then place the order and my clothing is sent from Ottawa.

I got a call stating that my clothing is ready, but I have unfortunately not been able to take more time off to head all the way down there to pick it up.    

Is that enough detail for you?

Sorry didn't see the R in front of the 011 and keep in up troop you will go far.

Apart from Downtown celebrations, does anybody know of where to take part in this in the Orleans area of Ottawa? I am new in the city and want to try and avoid downtown

Cheers

To add on to the request, does anyone have the specifics to the locations AND timings of these services?  I know some start earlier and some later, and some you need to get to fairly early to get any type of view.

Strike

The service at the National War Memorial starts sometime around 1030. You should probably be there between 0930 and 1000 to get a place within sight of the area.

Here in Kemptville I walk four blocks and have a great view of our war memorial. Following that I stroll two blocks to the local Legion and have a few beers with the troops from Petawawa here for the service. (Warning - last year the coy comd and CSM knew the planimal.) If anybody wants to come out and slum, I'll buy the first one. Just send a PM and I'll send directions.

opcougar said:
Apart from Downtown celebrations, does anybody know of where to take part in this in the Orleans area of Ottawa? I am new in the city and want to try and avoid downtown

Cheers

The Legion on Taylor Creek Drive in Orleans usually has a ceremony.  Outside of the Legion, there is a memorial where a parade takes place.  Usually, it's the local reserve CER unit that does the parade.

Strike said:
To add on to the request, does anyone have the specifics to the locations AND timings of these services?  I know some start earlier and some later, and some you need to get to fairly early to get any type of view.

NMC REMEMBRANCE DAY CEREMONY

Beechwood Cemetetary Pde forms up in FUP at 1000 - 1015 hrs and marches on at 1040 hrs.  Vigil is mounted at 1045 hrs.

Pretty sure there's a ceremony of some sort in Cumberland at their war memorial. I'm not to sure though, but I'm going to probably swing by there anyway and pay respects (great uncle is one of the boys listed on it, killed in Korea).

Back