• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Now the fun starts.

HIghFlyer

Inactive
Reaction score
As the subject says, now the fun starts. I am 36 and just enrolled in the Pres as a 2Lt. The experience to date, from initial contact with CFR to enrollment, went smoothly and quickly. But that was the easy part.

The unknown’s are mind boggling with the biggest being at the moment being, how to avoid making a complete idiot of myself while I wait for training to start. This site is great and helped a great deal in providing answers to a lot of my questions! Thanks to everyone who takes time to share their expertise with a new recruit like me.

This week will be my second parade night and I will try my best to avoid being the "village idiot".  Without BMQ, under my belt and the knowledge gained through it, I am flying by the seat of my pants. Any advice for a new officer is greatly appreciated.

Pay attention to your NCOs.

If you're not sure about something - talk to your Pl Comd, Coy 2IC, or Adjt (in that order).

Relax - no one expects miracles from a 2Lt, especially an untrained one.

Good luck to you.

As a pretty new no hook, i know advice from my ends is a mere ping compared to the thunder of some of the more senior members on the forum, but non the less i have some adivce from the bottom rung.

Watch how things work at first and give your Jr ranks some room to do their jobs. We know our jobs well and strive to get them done in the best way possible. As it's been said before, watch your NCOs and make sure you follow their lead. They know what works and what doesn't work, and will make your job easier (and will help prevent the "that idiot!" response from the Jr ranks.)

Other than that, lead by example and don't be afraid to ask questions. Nothing is more embarrassing than making a stupid mistake/assumption where a question should have been asked :).

Good luck Sir and congratulations  :salute:

Back