• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Training Vessels

Readers seeking YAG updates, might go to CASR DND Navy Systems Section-Training Vessels
today, 11 November 2004 for photographs of existing YAGS, and news about new vessels.
None of our guys have seen an RFP from DND or PW&GS Canada about a replacement, and
have, thus far, found no specs. Pleased to see a Canadian Shipyard generating some badly
needed work however. MacLeod

SeaKingTacco said:
Granted, PSS could use a better boat.   I'm led to believe that those are in the works.   My point was that a RHIB (with all its faults) is not a canoe.   As for the doctrine side- keep making suggestions up the chain.   It is the only way things change (and things do change for the better).

Didn't know about the Puget Sound trip (must have been for Ex Sea Hawk?)- that's the first US trip I have heard of in a while in for a YAG.   Hope that you had fun.

Cheers.

I had a blast on SeaHawk.
Im not crapping on the RHIBs. A canoe was an unfair comparison for sure. They are good for certain applications but they arent super great for intercepting- there are MUCH faster boats out there and the RHIB isnt armed well enough. The Americans have 50 cals mounted on RHIBs- that is stopping power. A C7 does not have the stopping power required. The RHIB is good for delivering personnel.

As for an Argument for FPB's at present they arent required but they have been throwing around the idea of following suit with the Yanks and deploying Port Security Units overseas eventually to secure water ways and protect HVA's. This will require a new set of boats/tactics. Its would be easier to ge started on that now instead of waiting and deploying our present set up and having to play catch up later.

My problem with this "upgrade" to Orca class seems to be more about putting money into some companies than an honest attempt at correcting some Naval issues. My first remarks may have seemed flippant but they most certainly werent supposed to be inflamatory. Its was just quick note in passing.

I would like to see us get a dedicated inshore patrol capablity. Not only could we use the PBs for harbour security but we could also use them to actually patrol our coastlines. Such a force would cut down on smuggling and also provide a search and rescue presence as well. Arming such craft with light cannon such as 20 mm (backed up by a couple of .50s) would provide a deterence level needed for most security ops and the fire power if needed. Most PBs are fast and are not man power intensive so they are economical to run.

My problem with this "upgrade" to Orca class seems to be more about putting money into some companies than an honest attempt at correcting some Naval issues.

Does this not remind you of the LSVW, The new Challengers, ..........I think you may have a point there

Ex-Dragoon said:
I would like to see us get a dedicated inshore patrol capablity. Not only could we use the PBs for harbour security but we could also use them to actually patrol our coastlines. Such a force would cut down on smuggling and also provide a search and rescue presence as well. Arming such craft with light cannon such as 20 mm (backed up by a couple of .50s) would provide a deterence level needed for most security ops and the fire power if needed. Most PBs are fast and are not man power intensive so they are economical to run.

Yes I think the PB's could be run well with a 4-6 man crew small, and high speed. We do need a  deterence for smugglers. They see our coastlines as open season( according to the Americans- so take what you will from that) I dont think the boasts themselves are that expensive- but again the amount of quick boats required would be a price and manning factor. We have an awful lot of shoreline. Of course I doubt people are trying to smuggle drugs into Baffin Island. Maybe if we prioritize coatline- North requires soveriengty patrols, B.C. requires a a mix of smaller interception boats as well as soveriengty....and so on.

aesop081 said:
My problem with this "upgrade" to Orca class seems to be more about putting money into some companies than an honest attempt at correcting some Naval issues.

Does this not remind you of the LSVW, The new Challengers, ..........I think you may have a point there

Yeah it does unfortunately remind me of them....

My problem with this "upgrade" to Orca class seems to be more about putting money into some companies than an honest attempt at correcting some Naval issues. My first remarks may have seemed flippant but they most certainly werent supposed to be inflamatory. Its was just quick note in passing.

Hmmmmmm......Are you saying that the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Defence, Dr Keith Martin (Member of Parliament for Esquimalt-Juan de Fuca), the very same MP that defected from the Conservative party to the Liberals, and during the election campaign, campaigned on "restoring shipbuilding on the Left Coast" and whose riding includes Victoria Shipbuilding (company that won the bid) could be about a game of dirty, back room pool? Nah......thats crazy talk.  ;)

The ORCA Class YAG replacement vessels will be very welcome, as the current YAGs are 50 years old, were not designed for their current use, and are sub-par in terms of modern habitability standards. The ORCAs will have sufficient planning space for the navigation training conducted in these vessels, and will be fitted with state-of-the-art systems, such as electronic chart and nav radars. The greater speed available and enclosed bridge will also increase their ability to train at sea.

A couple of things:

Port security are getting new boats (2 for each coast)
They are based on the Lifetimer type boats
There will be all weather protection for the crew (bosun and MP's)

.50 cal in harbour; are you nuts!!!! Talk about collateral damage!

The current YAGs are killing our budget, the maintenace of the wooden hulls are very expensive.
The training of the MARS officers in the yags are limited due to the poor electronic package which has little commonality to what they will be exposed to on the MCDVs and the heavies.

Oracs will be an excellent platform for MARS training and its patrol duties will be limited to inshore Gulf Islands, Strait of Georgia, Inside Passage and maybe if the weather is nice, Broken Island Group Nootka Sound.

Back