• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Recruit Questions and Adivce

chubbierlemon

Inactive
Reaction score
I have some questions about training. My recruiters weren't very specific about where or when i would be training, just that it would be sometime in the summer. My questions are:
- How do the courses work?
- Do i sign up for them while im at my unit and then they just tell me when im going?
- Since im artillery what are the specific courses that i have to to take that are mandatory and what courses would i be able to do that aren't mandatory?
-  Whats the likelihood of me being able to do advances courses like parachuting and such?
- Are there any other general ti[s for training and such?

P.S - If you have any tips for a new recruit, i would really appreciate them so please feel free to add them to your comment!

Thanks a lot! - Zac

havent been to bmq or anywhere i was sworn in on monday to the reserves in the Niagara Region if that has any effect

chubbierlemon said:
I have some questions about training. My recruiters weren't very specific about where or when i would be training, just that it would be sometime in the summer. My questions are:
- How do the courses work?
- Do i sign up for them while im at my unit and then they just tell me when im going?

They Should ask you for your availability and then they will try and work around it. Your priority will be BMQ/SQ/Dp1 this summer ( 3months) If you can get all that great, but the reason your recruiters where being un helpful is they likely don't know how many spots the unit is getting and who has priority over you. You will have to wait out for a bit

chubbierlemon said:
- Since im artillery what are the specific courses that i have to to take that are mandatory and what courses would i be able to do that aren't mandatory?
Not sure exactly what is optional

But in theory you could get this done: BMQ, Sq, DP1

Not sure what optional arty courses there are. Search around or ask at your unit.

chubbierlemon said:
-  Whats the likelihood of me being able to do advances courses like parachuting and such?

It is possible, your unit/brigade/divison likely won't get many spots so you have to be in really good shape and a be a good soldier to get that one. People in my unit have it, though I don't recall anyone getting it since I've been in nor do I recall anyone trying to actually get it though.

chubbierlemon said:
- Are there any other general ti[s for training and such?

Read around there is tons of knowledge already posted on this site

P.S - If you have any tips for a new recruit, i would really appreciate them so please feel free to add them to your comment!

Thanks a lot! - Zac
[/quote]

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/89381.0

Good guide, although it is based on infantry it is quite similiar

Other then that, take it all with an open mind, and have fun.

chubbierlemon said:
havent been to bmq or anywhere i was sworn in on monday to the reserves in the Niagara Region if that has any effect

Ahh, either Artillery or Lincoln and Welland, my old Unit.

If you went L&W then they will let you know what courses they intend to put you on and then you will have to confirm availability for them.  At most you can look forward to being offered your BMQ and your your appropriate trades training (Infantry or other, depending upon what you joined as).  Once they know what is available to be run this summer they will let you know.  Most courses are set that you can do them over the 2+ months of summer break the standard student gets.  Take what you can and wait for the rest.

As to advise to offer someone new like you....quit being so impatient.  Ask a question once and wait for the answers without fishing around for a different answer.  There is a big difference between someone who is keen and someone who is a pain in the butt.

So I've passed CFAT. Waiting on checks. Whats next? I would like to put myself higher in the enrolment list. is there anything I can do for the next few weeks ( courses, training ,ect.) that will help me look better on my interview?

Back