• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trade to Officer careers

jackamela

Reaction score
Hi all,

In the middle of recruitment, just completed CFAT and fitness tests. High scores in both, unofficially.

Looking mostly at Army (but also still considering RCAF & Navy). I'm particularly interested in physical hands-on type roles which are also available as Officer - either direct entry or to work towards.

Any advice on Vehicle Tech & Weapons Tech - and whether it is possible to enlist as/work up to Officer in either of these trades? I saw them on the site only as NCM roles.

Construction Engineer is something I'd love to do - but looks like you can't be an Officer in that trade without an Engineering degree? (I have a degree, not Engineering).

Armour Officer is also interesting so any advice/opinions anyone has on that role would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long question, any advice appreciated.

The most physical officer trades will generally be the combat trades- Infnatry, Armour, Artillery, Combat engineer. The nature of those jobs is such that, at least early in the career and periodically in future, the officers will be in the muck and the suck with the troops. You cannot lead a platoon attack from a headquarters.

Most other officer trades will not be as physical, though some will have their own degrees of arduous working conditions, at least from time to time. But officer trades aren't generally where you do the technical work with your hands. Even the infantry officer isn't behind a machinegun; while they have a rifle, their weapon is their radio and their ability to direct the troops they lead.

The two specific trades you named are NCM only, and are led by officers who are not doing the actual technical work of fixing weapons or vehicles. The officers in these trades are managers. It's completely normal for people to start in a non-commissioned trade in CAF, do the physical stuff for some time, and then commission from the ranks. The fact that you already have a degree would ease that path.

If you really want to work hard and embrace the suck for a few years, go combat arms, and do so directly as an officer. The basic training for officers in those trades is a young person's game; it's hard on the body. If you want to build, fix, and maintain things, then go NCM for a bit. The officers are not the wielders of the toolbox in that world.

Thanks a lot for the information, very much appreciated.

The NCM route for vehicle/weapons tech, then later applying for an officer role might be a good option then. Could take a while, though, as I'd be going in part-time, Reserves. I suppose I could also join as Officer, then do specific mechanic training courses with the Army. (Assuming that's a thing that can happen. I notice you mentioned that Officers aren't wielding the toolbox - but can Officers also sign up for that sort of skills training?).

Armour Officer may be a compromise, I guess - since I'm assuming they would also need to have a good understanding of the mechanics?

I'm also a bit hesitant to join as Officer as I don't have prior military experience. Not sure if that matters a little, a lot, or not.

Thanks a lot for the information, very much appreciated.

The NCM route for vehicle/weapons tech, then later applying for an officer role might be a good option then. Could take a while, though, as I'd be going in part-time, Reserves.

It would take a while regardless. If your intent is to enjoy doing hands on work, you would presumably want to stick it out long enough to actually do a decent amount of it.

I suppose I could also join as Officer, then do specific mechanic training courses with the Army. (Assuming that's a thing that can happen. I notice you mentioned that Officers aren't wielding the toolbox - but can Officers also sign up for that sort of skills training?).

Realistically, no. Training is tailored to demand, and even at that it seems like there's never enough people qualified. And your available training time as an officer would be prioritized to taking the courses you would need for your career as an officer.

Armour Officer may be a compromise, I guess - since I'm assuming they would also need to have a good understanding of the mechanics?

I mean, to some extent? There would be some crew level maintenance that the officer might sometimes have a bit of time to assist with, but most of the real work is done by noncommissioned vehicle techs.

I'm also a bit hesitant to join as Officer as I don't have prior military experience. Not sure if that matters a little, a lot, or not.

No it doesn't. Most officers come in off the street and are trained from the ground up with the knowledge they need.

Really, it sounds like you just want to make and fix things. If you're looking at the reserves, this likely won't be your primary income or full time job, so the difference in NCM versus officer pay shouldn't be a big deal. I suggest strongly looking at simply joining as an NCM in a trade YOU would enjoy showing up for and doing,a nd then doing that. Noncommissioned reservists with a degree aren't at all weird. I was a reserve infantry NCO with a degree, and one year commanded a section of ten troops where fully half had degrees, the rest were mostly going to school, one was working on her masters and one was an engineer. I've had lawyers, accountants, nurses etc all work for me part time in the reserves. We showed up because we enjoyed the trade we were in, and what we did for our full time job didn't really figure.

Also, for technical trades you still need the specific degree for the officer equivalent unless you are at least a sergeant (?). More likely offered to WO or higher.
So, for example, commissioning from Cpl weapon tech to RCEME officer would require an engineering degree. There is a plan where you go to school to get it but it is quite competitive. A junior rank commissioning from a trade that does not have a specific degree requirement would still need to get (or have) a degree.

Info is a bit dated, current members feel free to correct me.

Also, for technical trades you still need the specific degree for the officer equivalent unless you are at least a sergeant (?). More likely offered to WO or higher.
So, for example, commissioning from Cpl weapon tech to RCEME officer would require an engineering degree. There is a plan where you go to school to get it but it is quite competitive. A junior rank commissioning from a trade that does not have a specific degree requirement would still need to get (or have) a degree.

Info is a bit dated, current members feel free to correct me.
Ah, I see - so the specific officer over the Weapon & Vehicle Tech (RCEME Officer, or whichever specific title it is?) would also need an Engineering degree?

Ah, I see - so the specific officer over the Weapon & Vehicle Tech (RCEME Officer, or whichever specific title it is?) would also need an Engineering degree?
Look that recruiting site, for example electrical mechanical engineering officer.
If you already have a university degree, the CAF will decide if your academic program matches the criteria for this job and may place you directly into the required on-the-job training program following basic training. Basic training and military officer qualification training are required before being assigned.
The degree you have will assesesed to see if it suitable. Some say the degree or degree type required, others will be added. To be a direct entry officer you need a degree, either prior to enrollment, or attend a paid education program.

Out of curiosity, what’s your degree in?
I have two. One in English, one in Accounting.

Not sure which doors that does or does not open in terms of Officer roles. Intelligence or Reconnaissance maybe.

Unless I'm misinforming myself, a lot of Officer roles seem to require an Engineering degree. Or specifics like a Law degree for Legal Officer.

Accounting is highly desirable for logistics officers, but then you’d simply be doing what I’m guessing you do in day to day life. I don’t get the sense you’re looking at CAF to crunch numbers. Good news is that having pretty much any degree opens the door to a number of officer trades including most of the combat arms, should you want to do that. Subject of course to everything else that’s been said above.

I have two. One in English, one in Accounting.

Not sure which doors that does or does not open in terms of Officer roles. Intelligence or Reconnaissance maybe.

Unless I'm misinforming myself, a lot of Officer roles seem to require an Engineering degree. Or specifics like a Law degree for Legal Officer.
There is no such thing as a reconnaissance officer.

Generally officer classifications with engineer in the name need engineering degrees.
Accounting might get you into logistics.
English will get you into Infantry, Artillery, Armoured, Naval Warfare?, Aerospace Control?, Int, etc

I suggest you go to the recruiting page, read, learn, and gain some clarity on what you want to do.

Last edited:
I guess the other question is why are you looking to join CAF as a reservist, and what do you personally want out of it?

I guess the other question is why are you looking to join CAF as a reservist, and what do you personally want out of it?
Looking for the opportunity to do something useful in my spare time, be of service to the country, work in a more active occupation and learn some new hands-on skills. A combination of that.

Logistics, yes, would be a bit too similar to the day job.

It looks like there are still plenty of options though and some very useful feedback here.

Probably it will either be Vehicle Tech, Weapons Tech or Construction (if NCM) or possibly Armour or Artillery (if Officer). I'd referred to 'Reconnaissance' above but was meaning Armour.

As the other poster suggests above I am and have been going through the main job site and have talked to a couple of recruiters. About a month into the process and have completed CFAT and fitness testing (passed both in good order). Just now looking to firm up the three roles to apply to.

Army is the best fit as far as I can see, for me personally and in terms of available local reserve units.

Last edited:
Back