• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need Advice on Flag Party

RCD_Cadet

Inactive
Reaction score
i am a Flag Party Cmdr and want any advice that will help me make the flag party look amazing on parade

Practice. Practice. Practice. And don't forget to practice.

Using the spell check and proper grammar wouldn't hurt either.

condor888000 said:
Practice. Practice. Practice. And don't forget to practice.

Using the spell check and proper grammar wouldn't hurt either.

^^^ Practice.

use five or ten pound weights that are used for running and made to be strapped around ankles. Strap them to your flag barrers elbow during practice.
This will help them build muscle and keep their arm straight when on parade. We practice on drill team time, and do PT to help their health. The flag party should be healthy and able to complete the duties of the task. Flags, rifles, swords, etc.
for 14 to 17 year olds these pieces of kit may be heavy for them. PT is the key to clean and sharp drill. Someone who is not healthy will tend to slack off sooner.
And lots of practice.
Do not only practice, the simple drill that you will use during the parade. try to cover all the drill involved with the flag party. Practicing the same old thing get boring for youths.

Don't forget, PRACTICE.

Bergeron 971 said:
use five or ten pound weights that are used for running and made to be strapped around ankles. Strap them to your flag barrers elbow during practice.
This will help them build muscle and keep their arm straight when on parade. We practice on drill team time, and do PT to help their health. The flag party should be healthy and able to complete the duties of the task. Flags, rifles, swords, etc.
for 14 to 17 year olds these pieces of kit may be heavy for them. PT is the key to clean and sharp drill. Someone who is not healthy will tend to slack off sooner.
And lots of practice.
Do not only practice, the simple drill that you will use during the parade. try to cover all the drill involved with the flag party. Practicing the same old thing get boring for youths.

This is your post.

Bergeron 971 said:
Use five or ten pound weights that are used for running and made to be strapped around ankles. Strap them to your flag bearers elbow during practice. This will help them build muscle and keep their arm straight when on parade.

We practice on drill team time, and do PT to help their health. The flag party should be healthy and able to complete the duties of the task. Flags, rifles, swords, etc. should be used regularly in order to properly familiarize the cadets with their use. For 14 to 17 year olds these pieces of kit may be heavy for them. PT is the key to clean and sharp drill. Someone who is not healthy will tend to slack off sooner.

And don't forget to practice, lots of practice. Do not only practice, the simple drill that you will use during the parade. Try to cover all the drill involved with the flag party. Practicing the same old thing may become boring for youths.

This is your post after I spent two minutes in word reformatting and spell checking. In the future, if you take the time to do so, it makes your posts much easier to read. Which in turn, makes you advice easier to understand. So please, do us all a favour.

WoW i would never thought about there health or that 5-10 pound weight idea thanks for that piece of advice

get a "practice flag"
use a gray wool blanket....
try using it dry - it's light, easy
try using it wet (soak blanket) - it's heavy and will help you build character ;)
wet blanket being caught in the wind will toss the colour ensign around a bit but, good practice.

practice practice

I was flag party commander for 3 years, and you need to look up ALL the proper movements in the manuals and practice.  I dont recommend using a wool blanket and hockey sticks i personally found it rather degrating but thats up to you.  Meet up a half hour early every training night and practice the movements so you dont disrupt everyone on parade.  works well

never said anything about hockey sticks, enough flag staffs around for that use & you can use pert much anything you want.  My only point is that, if you are ever caught out in the rain and the flags do get soaked, the Ensign will have the challenge of his young life trying to keep control of said flag. 

geo said:
if you are ever caught out in the rain and the flags do get soaked, the Ensign will have the challenge of his young life trying to keep control of said flag. 

yikes, no officer in my corps would ever allow the flag to be used outside in the rain

wool blanket i need to find one dose it have to be wool... if your corp was on parade and it was outside and the flag where there and it was raining we would still bring them on unless it was like a gale than they would say no

Cadet Warrant-Mann said:
yikes, no officer in my corps would ever allow the flag to be used outside in the rain
Do we cancel parades if it rains?

Spring_bok said:
Do we cancel parades if it rains?

no We dont.  We only have flag parties for the ACR, and even then the flag party waits inside then marches on after the corps has marched on.

Don't call stupid commands and have them do something that isn't that command...ie flag party left left - form!....and they do a "left centre wheel"....on the subject of centre wheels, are they in some magic manual i've never been able to find? all i've been able to find in the way of turning a flag party are forms?

mandal said:
Don't call stupid commands and have them do something that isn't that command...ie flag party left left - form!....and they do a "left centre wheel"....on the subject of centre wheels, are they in some magic manual i've never been able to find? all i've been able to find in the way of turning a flag party are forms?

Your right, searching "centre wheel" in the 201 brings up nothing. Perhaps its just a command that units created to easily turn the flag party in the direction of the march pasts?

IIRC, it is a command.... somewhere or other... I know band drill contains similar movements, but I can't remember if their related... I'll need to find my old band drill notes

centre wheel???

try - "counter march"

Thats the one... I knew 'centre wheel' sounded rediculous.

Back