• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy MOCs

kelly874

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all.  I'm getting ready to apply to the CF and would like very much to join the Navy. I have a few questions - I hope someone can help me out with these.  My first question is regarding the spaces open for specific MOCs - does anyone know if there's still any open spaces in the Naval Weapons Tech, Naval Electronics Tech (A, C or T) and Marine Engineering Mechanic jobs? I asked at my local recruiting centre but got the relatively useless "They're always looking for people in the navy". My second question is regarding the MOC training. For NWT and NET the training is in Halifax and is about a year and a half. I am married and would have to move my family out there while I'm training.  Does the CF pay for our accommodation, given that I'd be out there for training purposes, or would I have to find a place out there? If anyone knows anything about that I'd be glad to hear about it. My final question is regarding postings.  I know that a lot of where you end up being posted depends on where the vacancies are on the ships, but I was wondering if anyone knew which fleet was the more common posting.  I was told by a recruiter that the majority of Navy recruits come from the East coast and would rather stay there, so they generally have a harder time getting people for the Pacific fleet - does anyone know anything about this? My wife has a lot of family on Vancouver island so a posting to Esquimalt would be perfect for me.  If anyone has any info on any of these subjects I'd be happy to hear from you.  Thanks!

kelly874 said:
Hello all.   I'm getting ready to apply to the CF and would like very much to join the Navy. I have a few questions - I hope someone can help me out with these.   My first question is regarding the spaces open for specific MOCs - does anyone know if there's still any open spaces in the Naval Weapons Tech, Naval Electronics Tech (A, C or T) and Marine Engineering Mechanic jobs? I asked at my local recruiting centre but got the relatively useless "They're always looking for people in the navy". My second question is regarding the MOC training. For NWT and NET the training is in Halifax and is about a year and a half. I am married and would have to move my family out there while I'm training.   Does the CF pay for our accommodation, given that I'd be out there for training purposes, or would I have to find a place out there? If anyone knows anything about that I'd be glad to hear about it. My final question is regarding postings.   I know that a lot of where you end up being posted depends on where the vacancies are on the ships, but I was wondering if anyone knew which fleet was the more common posting.   I was told by a recruiter that the majority of Navy recruits come from the East coast and would rather stay there, so they generally have a harder time getting people for the Pacific fleet - does anyone know anything about this? My wife has a lot of family on Vancouver island so a posting to Esquimalt would be perfect for me.   If anyone has any info on any of these subjects I'd be happy to hear from you.   Thanks!

What you were told is correct. It is much harder going east than it is to go west. My husband has served on both coasts in the last nine years.
DND should pay for you guys to move out there since the course is over 6 months, but who really knows nowadays. They will not pay for your accomodation, but they will pay you for your move, and if you work it right, you can come out of it with a bit of extra cash in your pocket. Victoria is a beautiful place to live(I was born and raised there) but the East coast has some awesome benefits too.

My husband is a SonarOp(TasOp or NacOp for those that didn't know the name changed yet again) and lived in Victoria for 5 years, the USA for 3 years with NATO and we are now heading into our 2nd year out east in Halifax.

Back