• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Moving is cheap?

scoutfinch said:
I can personally attest to it being referred to as a moving grant back as far as 1986.

I can remember going curtain shopping with my mother in the mid 70s with the 'moving grant'.

Same here.  I've been moving with the military since i was born........Started out in Lahr in 1976

TMM said:
that's easy. For all the different sized soap boxes! :D

Never even thought of that one...... ;D

TMM said:
that's easy. For all the different sized soap boxes! :D

:rofl:

That is too funny. All my life,  I thought that was a myth.... until I moved to Pet. :eek:

aesop081 said:
 Iregardless it does not cover propane tanks and cleaning of your residence.

I didn't mean cleaning the residence...that came out of a different envelope. I was talking replacement of cleaning supplies and the like.

I think things may be different with us since we were moving from the US back to Canada...hubby recalls being told it was for propane tanks and such too.

Regardless, now people have an idea of how expensive it is for the CF to move people.

Springroll said:
I didn't mean cleaning the residence...that came out of a different envelope. I was talking replacement of cleaning supplies and the like.

Ok, that clears that up

Springroll said:
I think things may be different with us since we were moving from the US back to Canada...hubby recalls being told it was for propane tanks and such too.

That is in fact not the case.  You do know that IRP gets a percentage of the money they save DND on every move right ?  So if they screw you out of you entitlements by giving you wrong information.........

Springroll said:
IRegardless, now people have an idea of how expensive it is for the CF to move people.

Yes and we have you extensive knowlege and expertise to thank for that   ::)

Over all of my postings, I don't recall ever getting an allowance for the cleaning of the PMQ.  I may have missed it but I think that is unlikely.

Typically, we did it ourselves so we didn't have to pay somebody else.  In fact, we were one of a few that  passed the Lahr Marchout on the first attempt during our APS!

scoutfinch said:
Over all of my postings, I don't recall ever getting an allowance for the cleaning of the PMQ.  I may have missed it but I think that is unlikely.

It in fact exists.  Did it back in petawawa in 1997.  With a receipt, you can claim it on your moving claim, max is $100.  And on a related note... almost everyone that cleans PMQs for money charges exactly $100  ;D

Cool.  But I have never seen a marchout cleaning that cost only $100.  I assume you didn't have to provide receipts?  Given the dollar value,  would it be fair to assume that it was to compensate for the cost of cleaning supplies etc rather than paying for a marchout cleaning?  (Obviously what you do with it is up to the individual)

Hmmm... did you modify your last post??? Ignore my above postings accordingly!  I didn't notice the portion referring to the average cost charged!

scoutfinch said:
Cool.  But I have never seen a marchout cleaning that cost only $100.  I assume you didn't have to provide receipts?  Given the dollar value,  would it be fair to assume that it was to compensate for the cost of cleaning supplies etc rather than paying for a marchout cleaning?  (Obviously what you do with it is up to the individual)

Hmmm... did you modify your last post??? Ignore my above postings accordingly!  I didn't notice the portion referring to the average cost charged!

You do have to rpovide a receipt.  I found CFHA to be very agreeable when they recognized the name of the person you hired to clean your PMQ ( or in my case , seen her do it) but i am sure not everyone is that lucky.

It was always standard when you were looking for your marchout cleaner to call housing and ask if they had anyone to recommend. It guaranteed you an easy time of your marchout, vice all the bullshit and heartache they'd give you if you did it yourself. It just wasn't (isn't?) worth the time and energy.

Springroll,

my financial workshhet for the move to Greenwood does state " non-acountable incidental allowance" therefore i will give you that.

However, make certain that you are clear in your terminology in order to avoid confusion.  if you had used the term "moving grant", i would have know right away what you were refering to, even though you were still wrong in the information you gave.  Everyone thats been in the military since at least last week knows "moving grant"

Oh yeah, sorry, you're not in are you

recceguy said:
It was always standard when you were looking for your marchout cleaner to call housing and ask if they had anyone to recommend. It guaranteed you an easy time of your marchout, vice all the bullshit and heartache they'd give you if you did it yourself. It just wasn't (isn't?) worth the time and energy.

Precisely

I can't recall ever hiring a cleaner.  Although I don't remember cleaning in Pet so we might have had someone come in then.  I remember cleaning for all of the other postings because we inevitably had a cleaning party with neighbours and friends, loud music and a few wobbly pops!  I have some GREAT memories of those days!!

aesop081 said:
Yes and we have you extensive knowlege and expertise to thank for that   ::)

We may not have moved lots, but it still qualify's as experience.
I guess you would take my husband's moving experience over mine, even though I was also involved in it... ::)

I'll get him to log in.

Springroll said:
We may not have moved lots, but it still qualify's as experience.

I said "expertise" but essentilay, ok
I guess you would take my husband's moving experience over mine, even though I was also involved in it... ::)
Yes i would......at least more than yours....
I'll get him to log in.
You go ahead and do that, i'll take talking to him over you everyday of the week and twice on sundays.

[/quote]

scoutfinch said:
I can't recall ever hiring a cleaner.  Although I don't remember cleaning in Pet so we might have had someone come in then.  I remember cleaning for all of the other postings because we inevitably had a cleaning party with neighbours and friends, loud music and a few wobbly pops!  I have some GREAT memories of those days!!

We hired a cleaner in the US that guaranteed their work 100%. Cost us a bunch out of our own pocket(some covered by IRPP), but it was well worth not having the hassle of having to worry about it.

scoutfinch said:
Scott:

My experience has been that you are entitled to hotel accommodations until your F&E arrive.  Springroll indicated that it took 23 days for her F&E to arrive and that she received 23 days hotel... although 23 days seems like a tremendously long time... I don't think it took me that long to get my stuff back from Lahr!

The CF paid for the hotel accomodations for almost a month for my dad while he was waiting for his house to be ready to be moved into.

Springroll said:
We hired a cleaner in the US that guaranteed their work 100%. Cost us a bunch out of our own pocket(some covered by IRPP), but it was well worth not having the hassle of having to worry about it.
I hate cleaning......I agree that paying avoids a huge hassle, i mean time IS money, why spend it cleaning right ?

Pte.Shrubb said:
The CF paid for the hotel accomodations for almost a month for my dad while he was waiting for his house to be ready to be moved into.

Yup, i spent 21 days in hotels on my last move......

aesop081 said:
I said "expertise" but essentilay, okYes i would......at least more than yours....You go ahead and do that, i'll take talking to him over you everyday of the week and twice on sundays.

The CAN$650.00 is called a "non-accountable incidental allowance".  The CAN$650.00 is for blinds, curtains, cleaning supplies, BBQ tanks, and other things that you were not able to move with you.  It is under Chapter 3, Annex "B", Schedule 5 of the "Departure from CDLS(W)" publication.  It lists the items that are non-admisaible, and those are the items that the CAN$650.00 is to be used for. 

As for the attitude you are displaying to Springroll.  Regardless of her being my spouse, you are a member of the Canadian Armed Forces, and a MCpl on top of that.  You of all people should know that your attitude and demeanor reflects upon the CF.  We are not to be talking to anyone (civilian or serving) rudely or with disdain.  It displays a lack of character, and leadership.  It also portrays badly on the CF, Army.ca, and on your rank and trade. 

Squid278 said:
The CAN$650.00 is called a "non-accountable incidental allowance".  The CAN$650.00 is for blinds, curtains, cleaning supplies, BBQ tanks, and other things that you were not able to move with you.  It is under Chapter 3, Annex "B", Schedule 5 of the "Departure from CDLS(W)" publication.  It lists the items that are non-admisaible, and those are the items that the CAN$650.00 is to be used for. 

Excellent. Thanks for pointing that out.  Not afraid to admit i didnt know that for OUTCAN postings.

I apologize in advance for this threadjack but I can not hold it in any longer so here it goes and then I will respectfully bow out of the thread:

To be perfectly frank, I CANNOT imagine calling in my spouse to speak on my behalf either IRL or on the internet.

Secondly, Springroll has been equally flippant here with people on this thread.  Perhaps you should review some of her commentary before castigating others for behaviour that she has demonstrated herself.

Springroll has a reputation for a lack of veracity in her posts.  She has created the conditions through her own behaviour whereby people scrutinize every word she says.

scoutfinch said:
I apologize in advance for this threadjack but I can not hold it in any longer so here it goes and then I will respectfully bow out of the thread:

To be perfectly frank, I CANNOT imagine calling in my spouse to speak on my behalf either IRL or on the internet.

Secondly, Springroll has been equally flippant here with people on this thread.  Perhaps you should review some of her commentary before castigating others for behaviour that she has demonstrated herself.

Springroll has a reputation for a lack of veracity in her posts.  She has created the conditions through her own behaviour whereby people scrutinize every word she says.

I participated at her request because "her word" was not good enough for some of the people here.  It is my opinion and observation, that she is being treated differently and poorly, because she is not in the CF.  She has been "on guard" since 1998, and deserves as much respect as a serving member.  In regards to the moving grant, if she (or anyone) has made a statement or question that you are not sure of, ask them to clarify.  Perhaps the term "moving grant" is not used in all areas.  Therefore, not everyone will know it.  I have been in for almost 10 years now, and have never heard that term.

I was not castigating (it means to criticize severely) aesop081, I was merely pointing out that the attitude that he was displaying was not appropriate.  This rule goes for myself and for Springroll.  No one on this board should be rude or arrogant to another.  If I were to castigate someone, I would take it in the appropriate manner and message them privately.  The unwritten rule is "Praise in public, counsel in private". 

And next time, please don't use big words.  I had a heck of a time looking for them in the dictionary to find their meaning.

Back