• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Professionalism

used-to-be-EGS

Inactive
Reaction score
This might be a bit of touchy subject, but I'm taking a class on Military Professionalism, and it seems that many educated individuals feel that officers are professional, and NCM's are not.  Now, taken at the higher rank/responsibility levels, such as LCol and above, this may be so, but in the case of many professionals, they feel that the commission alone is suffice to make an officer a professional versus say, a Cpl, Sgt or CWO.  I personally, am having a hard time wrapping my teeth around this concept, and was just wondering if there might be some other points-of-view on this subject.

Very good question.  The question really is, what do you mean by "professional" ?
As a noun, the dictionary has three entries:

1.  A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
2.  One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.
3.  A skilled practitioner; an expert.

The bias that says that Doctors and Lawyers are "professionals" and that truck drivers (for example) are not "professionals" comes from definition 1.  But it can take a heck of a lot of training to operate a huge truck safely, I would think.  Similarly, most soldiers (officers AND NCMs) receive a lot of training, and must do a lot of "learning".

I did a degree in Engineering, and this was always a hot debate... do engineers get to count themselves among doctors and lawyers as "professionals"?

I prefer definition 3.  A "professional" is somebody who is an expert in something.  A lawyer is a professional practitioner of law, a physician is a professional practitioner of medicine, a plumber is a professional practitioner of plumbing, and a soldier is a professional practitioner of whatever is his trade.  If you consider an airline pilot a professional, then you have to consider a military pilot a professional.  If you consider a civilian engineering technician a professional, then you have a to consider a weapons tech a professional.

I always liked the phrase "the profession of arms".  So, I personally think whether one is an officer or NCM is irrelevant to his/her status as a "professional".

I also happen to think that the officer/NCM distinction may be an outdated distinction that has survived.  We don't have a society of "classes" anymore... why should those of us soldiers with a university degree have special status among soldiers??  Shouldn't our training and education as soldiers make that distinction??

Two of the criteria for "professional" I never leave off the list are:

1) Self-regulating body.

2) Serves society and places society's interests paramount.

All soldiers, irrespective of commissioned/non-commissioned meet these.  Many other so-called professionals have abdicated professionalism; for example, professions which have become wholly or mostly unionized may have explicit or implied codes of conduct which place the interests of the union paramount, while others have subverted the purpose of their professional colleges to protect the membership rather than society.

Professionalism cannot be bought (degree)

I only know (not having a degree) that Education can be bought but years of experience cannot.

Your question is age old - pitting NCM against Officer with many feeling that because the Officer has the degree they are more professional.  Does a degree in History make a cmbt arms officer more professional in what he or she does on a daily basis?  Not sure if that late night paper on Napoleon or the various skills  he or she may have learned in Univ may help them keep soldiers alive on the battlefield?  We can debate this for days upon days - All I know is that at the end of each day we must ask did I do everything today to the best of my "given" abilities, did I help my fellow soldier get a bit further ahead in his/her life, did I help my superior get our team ahead in achieving "our" goals?  If you can answer yes to any of these questions, then at least in my mind you have defined professional with or without a degree.

P.S.  If Professionalism was based upon Educated (Degree) pers - I guess we would have a handfull of officers leading a smaller handfull of NCMs playing RISK in a parking lot someplace.  Its too bad people relate education with  professionalism.  As far as LCols go, (having more responsibility, etc) and having worked in more HQs than I can care to remember  - I dare say GM or FORD CEOs have more people under them and have more worries than some of our LCols will ever have.  So I am not sure if SOME or our LCols, when not at war,  really have "major" daily responsibilities.

profession
proessional
professionalism

This is a subject that is more in the area of semantics and requires comparison of contexts of original use with current usage.

In the historic sense, officers were considered "professionals" because of the learning they were expected to have developed through their upper-class educational systems and the knowledge they were expected to maintain to work in military-political sphere (think Victorian era). NCOs, on the other hand, not having defined educational requirements on joining, and only expected to know what the Army told them to know, were equated with tradesmen, and therefore were not considered professionals.

I doubt that many would uphold such distinctions now, which, frankly, makes the whole point irrelevant.

Current usage now leans more towards the effective and efficient application of learned skills and knowlege, which equally applies to officers and NCOs within their respective spheres of influence and responsibility. Similarly, we uphold soldiers as "professionals" not only throgh their specific skills, but also within the bounds of their general character, ethics and ability to set the example (among other traits of course).

Using the word in any sense to establish a sense of separation between officers and NCOs in the current era is poor usage. Modern post-secondary education does not establish the distinction it might have a hunded years ago, and, as noted, education no longer carries that sense of automatically qualifying oneself to be labelled a professional.

IMHO what matters is not what the dictionary, or common usage, defines as "professionalism" but rather the definition that we accept in the Canadian Military. If you read "Duty with Honour", the keystone CF book that lays out our ethos, raison d'etre, relationship with civil government, etc. you will see military professionalism very clearly defined.

The definition is strongly rooted in the definition used to describe civil professions. And no, a truck driver is NOT a "professional", although in common usage we abuse the term to death (we even have "Professional" shoe polish....). It has some variations due to the uniqueness of military service, foremost among these being the concept of unlimited liability, but the remainder of the parameters could apply equally well to medicine, law, engineering, the clergy, the executive level of the civil service, etc.

Our current position is that Officers and WO/NCOs, both Regular and Primary Reserve, meet the criteria to be considered as professionals. Not all armies take this point of view, and a number of civilians would question if military service can be considered a profession at all. Be that as it may, as far as our Army is concerned, we have a clear definition of ourselves as professionals.

I recommend reading Duty With Honour-it is a fairly short read but quite well done.

Cheers

Interesting read on the RMC producing officers as professionals in the "profession of arms".

http://www.rmc.ca/boardgov/reports/withers/06_developingofficer_e.html

"The situation of the military profession is analogous to that of the medical or legal professions. Potential candidates must, in the first instance, be accredited by the profession's governing body. In the case of the Canadian military this formal accreditation occurs when the Queen's Commission is bestowed upon an officer. At this first stage of the officer's professional development they must possess a certain body of professionally relevant knowledge, a keen understanding of the corporate nature of their profession and a thorough awareness of the social responsibilities it entails."

P Kaye said:
Interesting read on the RMC producing officers as professionals in the "profession of arms".

http://www.rmc.ca/boardgov/reports/withers/06_developingofficer_e.html

"The situation of the military profession is analogous to that of the medical or legal professions. Potential candidates must, in the first instance, be accredited by the profession's governing body. In the case of the Canadian military this formal accreditation occurs when the Queen's Commission is bestowed upon an officer. At this first stage of the officer's professional development they must possess a certain body of professionally relevant knowledge, a keen understanding of the corporate nature of their profession and a thorough awareness of the social responsibilities it entails."

Not to be too critical, but your post seems to give the impression that only officers in the CF are professionals because they have been presented a commisioning scroll.  It is sort of derogatory towards the Soldiers of our Armed Forces, who should also be considered Professionals, by thier actions and beliefs in the performance of their duties.

GW

I agree.... I just cut-and-pasted that from the RMC website.
CWOs get commissions as well, but you're right, I don't think the commission should be taken as a sign of professional status... they gave me my commission before I had even completed one day of training.

P Kaye said:
I agree.... I just cut-and-pasted that from the RMC website.
CWOs get commissions as well, but you're right, I don't think the commission should be taken as a sign of professional status... they gave me my commission before I had even completed one day of training.

This presents an interesting question: if the commission is not a "sign of professional status", then what is it? CWOs, BTW, do not get commissions in our Army-they receive a warrant. If we accept the definition in Duty With Honour (as I do) that NCO is a professional, then what is the "sign of professional status" of the NCO?

Cheers

>>  CWOs, BTW, do not get commissions ?

Really??  That's interesting.  I had a CWO as a course warrant once.  He was a stalwart guy and I had a lot of respect for him.  He told us that CWOs do get commissions, and then mentioned that he was bitter when his unit didn't give him his scroll in a frame...
He went on about how CWO is the only "commissioned" "NCM" rank (noting the oxymoron).
I'm suprised if he was making that up...

As for what a commission is for, if not a distinction of professional status, as I indicated in an earlier post, I think it may be an outdated relic of history that has survived because it is so deeply rooted in military culture.

I'd say that there was a confusion in 'terminology'.  He did not receive a 'Commission', but a 'Warrant', which I suppose he falsely related to a Commission.  We have Scrolls for many of our awards and sometimes they become incorrectly identified.

GW

The following document is very relevant to this discussion:

The Military as a Profession: An Examination
(Prepared for the Canadian Forces Leadership Institute)

http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/CFLI/engraph/research/pdf/15.pdf

Two interesting points in this paper worth highlighting:

1) Professionals see their task as a "calling", and not simply as an "occupation".  This certainly applies to the military profession.

2) "The ethic of a businessman is self-interest, while that of a soldier is self-sacrifice".  The idea here is that a "professional" is one who works in the service of society, not simply in the service of self-advancement or money-making (this concept applies to doctors and engineers, and certainly to soldiers).

This was a very hot issue in the '60s (especially) in the US â “ there was something of a consensus that conscripts are not members of a military profession: that privilege is reserved for 'regular' officers and NCOs in the British tradition and for regular officers, only, in the Franco-American tradition.   This was, very much, the thinking amongst many American officers and theorists (including Sam Huntington in The Soldier and The State, if my memory serves).

Some, especially in the British tradition, went even further, arguing that soldiers (officers and senior NCOs, alike) have a priest-like vocation which sets them apart from other professionals, like doctors, lawyers and engineers.

We, Canadians, explicitly rejected that notion, it seems to me, when (in the early '70s?) we decided to benchmark military salaries and, by implications, military status with the civil service.   (I, by the way, was happy, indeed, grateful for the substantial pay raises which were negotiated by militant civil service unions and passed down to us soldiers.)

There are usually three ways of using the terms professional and profession in reference to the military:

Professional as opposed to Conscript or Draftee, in terms that a professional is a volunteer of an Armed Service.  In this sense, yes, we are all "Professional Soldiers/Sailors/Airmen" as we all volunteered to be here.

Professional as in belonging to the profession of arms, which points out that soldiering, like plumbing or dentistry, is a profession bound by a certain level of knowledge and expertise with specialized equipment and techniques - one does not simply "pick up" the tradecraft of a soldier.  In this sense, then yes, we are all Professionals.

The final use of the word Professional is a little more murky and debatable.  I think that the point we're debating here and the general conception of the Profession stems from Huntington's classic, The Soldier and the State.  Here is a defintion of Huntington's professionalism I gave from another thread:

The military officer is first and foremost a member of his profession, a unique body within his country that possesses highly specialized characteristics.  As Huntington identified, the Military Officer's professional body is defined by its unique expertise, its responsibility, and its "organic unity and consciousness of themselves as a group apart...."  All the customs our military possesses such as the salute, the deference of higher rank, and total authority of command are built around the existence of this professionalism....  When one walks into a hospital, one can immediately determine the doctor as unique, part of his professional body.  When one sees a military officer, one shouldn't have to try and discern whether he is a true professional or a dressed up bureaucrat or a youth group leader.

The professional Officer is one dedicated to the "direction, operation, and control of violence on behalf of the state."

Now, when Huntington defined the "Professional" in the 1950's, there was really no such thing as a "Professional Army", an all volunteer force; most nations had professional Officer Corps that led units full of "national service" or "draftee" soldiers, which were watched over by long-service NCO's (which Huntington termed more as Master Tradesmen then professionals).

Clearly, the situation is different now and I'll admit that I didn't fully buy the applicability of this outlook when I first read it and I still don't.  There is two arguments that come out of this statement.

1)  In modern, Western Army's where NCO and WO's are long service soldiers who add their experience to the institutional "databank", they take part in planning by being on Military Staffs, are generally getting educated to the same level as officers, and they have an active role alongside Officer's with the "unique expertise, responsibility, and "organic unity and consciousness of themselves as a group apart...." of the NCO Corps.  Thus I would most certainly say that NCO's in a modern Western Military are "Professionals" in all three senses of the term.

Would the Other Ranks constitute professionals by the fact that they (should) have been transformed through basic training, and further through a sophisticated trades training, into something unique in society?  Undoubtedly, the individual soldier has "unique expertise, responsibility, and "organic unity and consciousness of themselves as a group apart...." within a larger social context.  All though it is stretching the classical definition of the word, I think a strong argument could be made that Other Ranks are part of all three definitions of "Professional".

2)  The third model of the "Professional" designates full-time service as a necessary requirement, how does this apply to reservists?  Undoubtedly, our reservists are better then the "Professional" militaries of many countries, but in many respects, the reservist is an "Amateur".  In order to utilize Reservists, you have to "professionalize" them by putting them in a full-time service environment for six months before deployment.

However, what does this say with regards to full-time reservists, who do the exact same thing and hold the exact same responsibilities as their Regular Force brethren?  As well, differences in a Canadian context (at the tactical level at least) are largely limited to time dedicated to training - the skill sets and responsibilities for both Regulars and Reservists are the same, it is only the "training delta" that creates a difference.

A Dentist or a Lawyer would still be considered a member of their Profession if they only pulled teeth or litigated once or twice a week, so you could make a strong case that our Reservists are "Professional" in all three usages of the term as well.

(I see ROJ covered off some of my points while I was posting)

I'm not quite sure I see how benchmarking salaries and levels across the civil service (including the military) serves as a defacto rejection of professional status.
Some of the arguments for considering soldiers as professionals indeed apply to other occupations in the civil service as well.

We accepted quite detailed benchmarking by occupations - for some reason a draughtsman sticks in my mind as one of the benchmarks.

Now, I would have no objection to a simple system of benchmarks which said, for example:

"¢ CDS ≤ upper range of deputy ministers; and

"¢ Private trained (TQ-3 or Gp 1 or whatever it is called now - ready for first posting to a battalion) ≥ than the StatsCan LICO (Low Income Cut Off) for a family of four in most major Canadian cities; and

"¢ In the upper middle, Commander/Lieutenant Colonel = 1st level of civil service Executive.

That sort of benchmarking would deal with overall remunerations, only, and would not have offended me.   The much more detailed 'system' adopted (in the '70s) determined, for us, that some 'jobs' were more important or worthy than others.   In my view that - the decision to pay to retain certain types of people, is, and must be a military decision - which we make, and justify within our own ranks, on good, capitalistic 'market' demands ... a concept with which, I think, most soldiers are familiar and, broadly, agree.   When the civil service decided that our trades, rather than our ranks, were to used as the basis for comparison (and confirmed Mr. Hellyer's description as the corporal as a journeyman) then, I believe, we abrogated our professional responsibilities and, indeed, some of our professional status.

Michael OLeary said:
profession
proessional
professionalism

This is a subject that is more in the area of semantics and requires comparison of contexts of original use with current usage.

In the historic sense, officers were considered "professionals" because of the learning they were expected to have developed through their upper-class educational systems and the knowledge they were expected to maintain to work in military-political sphere (think Victorian era). NCOs, on the other hand, not having defined educational requirements on joining, and only expected to know what the Army told them to know, were equated with tradesmen, and therefore were not considered professionals.

I doubt that many would uphold such distinctions now, which, frankly, makes the whole point irrelevant.

Current usage now leans more towards the effective and efficient application of learned skills and knowlege, which equally applies to officers and NCOs within their respective spheres of influence and responsibility. Similarly, we uphold soldiers as "professionals" not only throgh their specific skills, but also within the bounds of their general character, ethics and ability to set the example (among other traits of course).

Using the word in any sense to establish a sense of separation between officers and NCOs in the current era is poor usage. Modern post-secondary education does not establish the distinction it might have a hunded years ago, and, as noted, education no longer carries that sense of automatically qualifying oneself to be labelled a professional.
I agree with you, but this is an OPME, and this course uses such strong (yet outdated) opinions of people such as Huntington that it can influence younger members opinions.  Anyone with time in would most likely just disregard these opinions, but I have personally seen ROTP's read this literature and believe whole-heartedly that the day they get their commission, they will be a "professional" and the WO who has to babysit them, will not be.

So what's wrong with the definition in Duty With Honour? it seems to me to be quite well reasoned out, it conforms to the premises and thought processes in the rest of the publication, and it embraces the fundamentals of how most true professions (as opposed to trades such as plumbing, barbering and carpentry) are defined. It appears to me to answer some of the questions posed on this thread.

As I alluded to, I think we have tossed the word "professional" around in our society so much that we no longer have a clear conception of what it means. The conventional cultural understanding (or misunderstanding, take your pick) seems to be that any job that is performed on a full time basis and involves some skill that requires training is a "profession". By this token, almost everybody is a "professional" which IMHO is either just egalitarian rubbish or lazy thinking.

Cheers.

Back