• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Intelligence - Primary Reserves

In Montreal (4 Int) we provide almost all of the Int staff at HQ in Longue-Pointe, and deploy mobs of people every year.  We had 7 guys in Bosnia last year, and at least 4 in Afghanistan.  We've had guys in the CAR, Haiti and other places I can't be bothered to remember.

Anybody seriously considering military intelligence as a TRADE, and not as cop-out from their former trades, should get in right quick.  Loads of opportunities and tons of good work.  We do not stare at pictures and id tanks all day.  That's the TECH INT guys... ;)

The contrast between doing a tour as a combat arms guy and a tour as an Int Op is literally night and day.

We did recruit off the street at one point, but the results were...interesting.

And no, there is no James Bond stuff, but we have better chances of working with the James Bond guys on tour than anyone else.  ;)

Love the posts guys, long time reader first-time poster.

Cheers!

abeauchamp said:
The contrast between doing a tour as a combat arms guy and a tour as an Int Op is literally night and day.

This is an old thread, but I am curious.  Would anyone care to elucidate?

Gmen said:
For the member asking about Calgary.....yes we are currently recrtg....6 Int jst stood up a detachment there so if you are interested go see your rectg center or give us a call at (780) 973 4011 - 5283....and if you think all we do is look at pretty pictures :) ...well currently the Pl I am with has people in 3 theatres of Ops....and suporting of what is left of the reg force structure.....damn you go walk into a Reg Fr unit and you might find more res people feeling in slots dan the reg guys.....reality bites.....

That must have been real recent or some people have not gotten the word yet. This is long over due especially for this area and given the amount of suitable retired resources that would be more than happy to rejoin the colors in their former
trade(s).

Most have shyed away as there was no firm time ling time for a stand up aside from the usual 18mos worth of  "it's coming" and yes the drive back and forth to Edmonton was another factor.

shorinsakka said:
My cunning tactic of obfuscation succeeded.  ;D

yeah...you sound all edumacated-like

I went to loonieversity too.....i can use big words

shorinsakka said:
My cunning tactic of obfuscation succeeded.  ;D

Dood... this post was almost 2 years old and you resurrected it for small talk? 

Necroposting at its finest!

hey all I joining the reserves, and my choice is Int Ops, I was wondering what the courses were like?  are they like the res infantry course, where you are woken up at the crack of dawn and given all kinds of crap to do...and ran into the ground (figuratively)  or are they more like the Navy reserve courses where you finish at 4ish everyday and get all your nights and weekends to yourself??

Just curious what I am to expect, any helpful tidbits would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Well.  Everyone gets to enjoy that "getting up before you go to bed" and "bag drive" of the Infantry soldier for their first year, as they do their Reserve BMQ and SQ courses.  After all the chaff are weeded out then the remainer will go on to Trades Training in whatever Trade they have been selected for.  If you are Cbt Arms you will have lots of Classroom and Field Trg.  Other Trades have lots of Classroom and Homework.  Not many are "Navy Reserve" type courses that "finish at 4ish everyday".

Even if you are on a "done at 4 navy reserve" course, many of them require some serious homework to be done in the off hours in order to make the course more condensed.

Inquisitive08 said:
hey all I joining the reserves, and my choice is Int Ops, I was wondering what the courses were like?  are they like the res infantry course, where you are woken up at the crack of dawn and given all kinds of crap to do...and ran into the ground (figuratively)  or are they more like the Navy reserve courses where you finish at 4ish everyday and get all your nights and weekends to yourself??

A quick correction - it's "INT OP" not INT OPS".

Your local Int office/rep should be able to give you an overview of the current course requirements, as well as a 'reading list' to prepare you for the course (after you qualify for joining, of course).  Lacking that, its not as physically hard as the Infantry course, but its unlikely you will be hitting the pub for beer at 4 every day.  You will definately get all your 'nights and weekends to yourself' - expect to be in your room, on nights and weekends, by yourself, as you study... lots of studying... 

thank you for the correction.

A) I don't drink or hit the pubs...so that is inconsequential, and yes I know that maybe they "technically" finish their day earlier but they are studying and what not.

by having your nights and weekends I meant, not being confined to barracks, to be honest in my own time i'm just looking at hitting the gym, and maybe hitting up a movie now and again. In essence being left to my own device, and treated like an adult, expected to balance, work (including homework) and personal life.

George just wanted to say that your Other trades comment, is basically what the Naval Reserves courses are like.

Inquisitive08 said:
by having your nights and weekends I meant, not being confined to barracks, to be honest in my own time i'm just looking at hitting the gym, and maybe hitting up a movie now and again. In essence being left to my own device, and treated like an adult, expected to balance, work (including homework) and personal life. 

Each has their own way of doing things, different resources, different schedules and different budgets.  In the end, only the local Int office/unit putting on the course has the right information you need...

Back