• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Clothing Worn by Politicians

Good2Golf said:
It never ceased to amaze me why we FOD-walked the tarmac at the Squadron, but then didn't have any problem landing in some of the most crap-filled LZs with nary a mention of the word FOD.  ;D

Well, it's like this:

Many years ago, while the earth was still cooling and aircraft had open cockpits, there were some who had a problem with the perception that pilots were idle when on the ground. The senior Warrant Officer at a small airfield was busy trying to get all the rocks painted white and lined up outside the officers' tent lines and was tired of hearing their endless banter – ”there I was, and he was like this behind me, I'd gone up before breakfast and already pranged two jerries with the old stringbag, he pulled away as the black archie filled the air around me, I gave my kite full rudder and headed for the drome and two eggs sunny side up, must remember to write up my VC rec before lunch.” The W.O., a pre-war Permanent Force type, bet his buddy, the Chief Cook, that he could get those young aviators off their butts on a regular basis, and the bet was taken. So the W.O. went to the C.O., an old cavalry type with a bad leg and hate on for anything that stunk of petrol (or that stunk of anything but horse-sweat for that matter, which explained his choice of mistresses), and he explained to the C.O. the danger of loose bits of garbage and cigarette butts on the airfield and how the loss of any air-planes because the trash got sucked into engines might delay his return to command of a Remount Station. The C.O. didn't bother asking his Maintenance Officer if the explanation made any sense because he hated the lingering smell the man's clothes left in his office, for which reason he was already drafting an annual Confidential Report which would see the man transferred to the Veterinary Corps in charge of field forges.  The C.O., who secretly, or perhaps not so secretly, despised the frolicking joviality of his self-professed magnificent men, and their flying machines, readily signed off on an order making all ranks available for the W.O.'s plan, thus clearing the Mess on a regular basis for him to enjoy a large measure of good Scotch Whisky with the Senior Major, an old Gunner who appointed a Squadron Bugler to blow all calls immediately outside his office or quarters, the only way he could hear them. And thus, through the inadvertent collusion of an annoyed W.O. and a cranky old Colonel, the Air Force today still sweeps its parade squares by hand under the new-fangled name of FOD-walking.

Michael O'Leary said:
Well, it's like this:

Many years ago, while the earth was still cooling and aircraft had open cockpits, there were some who had a problem with the perception that pilots were idle when on the ground. The senior Warrant Officer at a small airfield was busy trying to get all the rocks painted white and lined up outside the officers' tent lines and was tired of hearing their endless banter – ”there I was, and he was like this behind me, I'd gone up before breakfast and already pranged two jerries with the old stringbag, he pulled away as the black archie filled the air around me, I gave my kite full rudder and headed for the drome and two eggs sunny side up, must remember to write up my VC rec before lunch.” The W.O., a pre-war Permanent Force type, bet his buddy, the Chief Cook, that he could get those young aviators off their butts on a regular basis, and the bet was taken. So the W.O. went to the C.O., an old cavalry type with a bad leg and hate on for anything that stunk of petrol (or that stunk of anything but horse-sweat for that matter, which explained his choice of mistresses), and he explained to the C.O. the danger of loose bits of garbage and cigarette butts on the airfield and how the loss of any air-planes because the trash got sucked into engines might delay his return to command of a Remount Station. The C.O. didn't bother asking his Maintenance Officer if the explanation made any sense because he hated the lingering smell the man's clothes left in his office, for which reason he was already drafting an annual Confidential Report which would see the man transferred to the Veterinary Corps in charge of field forges.  The C.O., who secretly, or perhaps not so secretly, despised the frolicking joviality of his self-professed magnificent men, and their flying machines, readily signed off on an order making all ranks available for the W.O.'s plan, thus clearing the Mess on a regular basis for him to enjoy a large measure of good Scotch Whisky with the Senior Major, an old Gunner who appointed a Squadron Bugler to blow all calls immediately outside his office or quarters, the only way he could hear them. And thus, through the inadvertent collusion of an annoyed W.O. and a cranky old Colonel, the Air Force today still sweeps its parade squares by hand under the new-fangled name of FOD-walking.

:nod:

That is the most plausible answer I have ever heard.  Danke schön, MO'L!

Michael O'Leary said:
Well, it's like this:

Many years ago, while the earth was still cooling and aircraft had open cockpits, there were some who had a problem with the perception that pilots were idle ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~under the new-fangled name of FOD-walking.

Ah.....finally explained.....I always wondered......

SeaKingTacco said:
. . .  how it works when flying dignitaries. They often get loaned flying gear for their personal protection. . . .

Years ago, in Germany, we were graced with a visit from a (then) future politician.  After the last election, he is now an ex-politician.  At the time of his visit to CFE (courtesy of the Canadian Club of Southern Germany) he was most known as a former professional hockey player, a goalie of great reknown.  As part of his stay in Lahr (besides the speaking engagements that were the purpose for the visit) he was entertained by 444 with a familiarization flight.  Though they were generally amenable to requests for such flights for Canadian Club visitors, they were particularly eager when the guests were well known sports figures or attractive female entertainers (especially if the entertainer had large breasts).

In the case of this former hockey player, he was a large man, a very large man.  It was difficult to find flying clothing on short notice that would fit him (even, as usual, from clothing stores on temporary loan).  Suitable items were acquired from one of the pilots at 444, also a very large man.  In those days, name tapes and wings were not on velcro so our visitor took to the sky with the protective clothing as borrowed.  Unfortunately, the flight was scheduled for an afternoon following a rather long lunch at the BFOM.  Nap of the earth flying and lunch did not mix well.  Projectile was one word that came to mind.  There was some obsuring of the windscreen and some of the instruments.  The flying clothing required considerable cleaning before it was returned to its owner.  The visitor was very apologetic.  The observer (who had to do most of the clean-up) and the pilot were probably not completely truthful when they accepted the apology.

But the flying clothing did serve to protect the wearer.

Nothing more than manufactured "controversy" from the usual suspects. I've seen politicians on official visits wearing PPE. Nobody I served with ever took offence or read more into the issue other than the requirement for PPE.

So in today's photo ops of the PM in Afghanistan, he is not wearing combat clothing.
As discussed above, politicians are usually not in the habit of wearing somthing they are not entitled to wear.

Back