• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Clothing Worn by Politicians

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
A bunch of bloggers have their panties in wads (again) over the issue of the PM wearing symbols he has not earned.

I don't care if the PM and certain ministers wear clothing, pull a lanyard, drive a tank, etc, etc, but I have some questions.

1. What is the technical (as in regulations) propriety of this?

2. How does it come about that politicians do so?  Do they ask?  Do their handlers ask/demand/suggest it?  Do the soldiers make the offer?

3. When this happens, is there a sense it is driven by the political photo op, or is it a gesture of good will from the CF to the politician?

(This should be moved if appropriate, but I can't see the issue in any context but "political".)

Ok i'll bite. What sort of symbols are we talking about?

Apparently during his recent visit to Slave Lake, the PM wore a jacket with aircrew wings.

Brad Sallows said:
Apparently during his recent visit to Slave Lake, the PM wore a jacket with aircrew wings.

Likely supplied by the aircrew. If they don't mind, I'm certainly not going to. I would expect that he be safely clothed for flight and was given the personal protective gear that was available.

He wore a flight jacket visiting the MB flood. He may be wearing a Sqn badge. No big deal.

He was given that jacket temporarily because it was windy and cool out.  He returned it after the flight - the badge is that of the flying school at Southport, MB.

He could follow Winston Churchill's example during WWII. He wore a boiler suit, i.e. coveralls, when visiting troops

The last time I can recall a politician being dressed in a uniform it was then PM Chreitien visiting the soldiers in former Yugoslavia. The helmet thing is what makes it stand out but the intent was valid; the PM needed to be protected from danger and military equipment was the obvious choice both for utility, availability and to (hopefully) prevent the PM from standing out too much and becoming a target. The crowd of horse holders kind of defeats the last point, but you get the idea.

Brad Sallows said:
A bunch of bloggers have their panties in wads (again) over the issue of the PM wearing symbols he has not earned.

The "clothing" is hardly something that is earned. If he was not wearing actual aircrew wings or another qualification badges or honour with an intent to deeive - then the bloggers are idiots.

If they really want to build that fantasy, let them propose th arrest of black bloc protesters merely for wearing combat boots.    ::)

It might be instructive to know which bloggers.

It's not a discussion, it's just another on line assembly of the great anonymous We Hate Politicians Club, Stephen Harper Chapter.

http://thegallopingbeaver.blogspot.com/2011/05/misrepresenting-himselfyet-again.html

Let some of the wannabee intelninjasnipers watch it for treasonous remarks. Call me if anyone says anything intelligent.  ::)

Michael O'Leary said:
then the bloggers are idiots.

That tends to be the case, hence the reason why I don't even follow blogs....

Nobody at the Galloping Beaver critiqued 'Bubbles' when he wore protective clothing during and after a flight in a CF-18 in Cold Lake

As others noted, the aircrew must have lent the PM the flight jacket, having taken care to remove the name tag, flying qualification badge and rank slip-ons.  No matter the efforts that folks go to to ensure things are done in a legitimate manner, there will always be some people whose major purpose in life appears to be complaining about one thing or another...

::)

Hmm, talk of bloggers being people who just have to complain about everything...

Did I wander into the F35 thread again?

Good2Golf said:
Nobody at the Galloping Beaver critiqued 'Bubbles' when he wore protective clothing during and after a flight in a CF-18 in Cold Lake

As others noted, the aircrew must have lent the PM the flight jacket, having taken care to remove the name tag, flying qualification badge and rank slip-ons.  No matter the efforts that folks go to to ensure things are done in a legitimate manner, there will always be some people whose major purpose in life appears to be complaining about one thing or another...

How did they get the slipons off? They are supposed to be sewed on ;)
Seriously, if you are flying on a helicopter, you are supposed to have proper gear.  I have personally loaned a liberal mnd flying gear...and it did not make a blog.

Good2Golf said:

He may have been lent it. Or he may not have. People complain because Harper left himself open to complaints. First mistake in politics.

A moot point, but a point nonetheless.

Zoomie said:
He was given that jacket temporarily because it was windy and cool out.  He returned it after the flight - the badge is that of the flying school at Southport, MB.

Nautilus, please try and pay attention.

Several serving aircrew have now patiently explained how it works when flying dignitaries. They often get loaned flying gear for their personal protection.  As was stated earlier, a flying jacket is just a flying jacket.

Nauticus said:
He may have been lent it. Or he may not have. People complain because Harper left himself open to complaints. First mistake in politics.

As mentioned by SKT (and I know I have mentioned it as well) please pay attention instead of mashing the reply button.

Patience wearing thin

SeaKingTacco said:
How did they get the slipons off? They are supposed to be sewed on ;)
Seriously, if you are flying on a helicopter, you are supposed to have proper gear.  I have personally loaned a liberal mnd flying gear...and it did not make a blog.

...because slip-ons could suddenly shrink to the size of a few microns and make it through a 146's particulate filter...back at you SKT.  ;)

It never ceased to amaze me why we FOD-walked the tarmac at the Squadron, but then didn't have any problem landing in some of the most crap-filled LZs with nary a mention of the word FOD.  ;D

Nauticus said:

Nauticus, are you implying that the PM 'stole' the jacket from the aircrew (and also de-badged it)?  ???  Seriously?  :facepalm:

Back