• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess kit

To often I see released members who don't have a post-CAF identity, which is troubling.
I will agree with you partially.

The ones that don't give up the ghost and rest on their previous titles and experience for clout ("I was a former Base Comd, so you should listen to me on everything...") definitely need to realise they are no longer serving in that role, thus, no one cares.

That said, there are a lot of members who retire or release and are left searching for the same camaraderie and belonging they had in the CAF for the rest of their lives.

The RCL withers, as has been discussed at length for decades on this site, precisely because former service members no longer see it as an avenue to maintain that aspect of service. Its a civilian club that role plays as a military service organization.

I think the CAF is wise to follow trends from the UK/US in this regard. You're part of the mob for life: you're welcome back to share in our celebrations, our milestones, and occasions within our regimental life. You're no longer left out in the wilderness, and its those folks that move on who are our greatest recruitment tool.... should we ensure that releasing from the CAF is no longer a "sign this, you're good to go, have a nice life.."

If folks want to wear their mess kit and this is an option now... good for them.

Or follow the Australians and have Mess Kit issued to Officers and SNCOs. The others don’t wear it, period.

I went with claimed because it would just become another POS Logistik product, IMHO, if it was issued...

I went with claimed because it would just become another POS Logistik product, IMHO, if it was issued...
True. I have no idea what the quality of their Mess Kit is like. Or their dress uniforms for that matter.

I will agree with you partially.

The ones that don't give up the ghost and rest on their previous titles and experience for clout ("I was a former Base Comd, so you should listen to me on everything...") definitely need to realise they are no longer serving in that role, thus, no one cares.

That said, there are a lot of members who retire or release and are left searching for the same camaraderie and belonging they had in the CAF for the rest of their lives.

The RCL withers, as has been discussed at length for decades on this site, precisely because former service members no longer see it as an avenue to maintain that aspect of service. Its a civilian club that role plays as a military service organization.

I think the CAF is wise to follow trends from the UK/US in this regard. You're part of the mob for life: you're welcome back to share in our celebrations, our milestones, and occasions within our regimental life. You're no longer left out in the wilderness, and its those folks that move on who are our greatest recruitment tool.... should we ensure that releasing from the CAF is no longer a "sign this, you're good to go, have a nice life.."

If folks want to wear their mess kit and this is an option now... good for them.
I agree with both you and dapaterson, in terms of:
  • once you're retired, leave the mess kit off and get a tux. The mess kit, like the DEU, should be for serving members only. I donated my mess kit to local Reserve unit. The wearing of the uniform is over once you retire. Let it go. I wear my old beret and medals for Remembrance Day.
  • do keep in touch with the Corps/Regt/Branch family since they did play a major part in the retiree's life

Cheers

Last edited:
I'll chime in with my 2 cents.
I don't care either way. You want to wear it, go ahead. You don't want, don't.

I've done both since retirement. I wear Blues and Grey's, the standard retiree uniform. My Mess kit is simply a military cut tuxedo.

In the end, it's none of my business, what anyone else wears. Just as it's nobodies business what I wear. I'm retired, I don't take orders anymore.😉 (except from my wife occasionally)

Personally, I don't really care either way. But I'm leaning towards the idea of 'once you're out, wear a tux'. Nevertheless, a while back, the RCAF took a sweet photo with all the former heads of the air force in their mess dress (Commander of Air Command / Chief of the Air Staff / Commander RCAF).

Attachments

• 414730460_894489978934044_8311638571198820740_n.jpg
    414730460_894489978934044_8311638571198820740_n.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 45
Personally, I don't really care either way. But I'm leaning towards the idea of 'once you're out, wear a tux'. Nevertheless, a while back, the RCAF took a sweet photo with all the former heads of the air force in their mess dress (Commander of Air Command / Chief of the Air Staff / Commander RCAF).
The boots on the first row, left hand side, are awesome.

All I will say is that it's good that all of them are now former.

Back