• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess kit

alberthead62

Reaction score
I’m seeing retired folk in the Mess in mess dress. Is this legal/allowed (it’s obviously tolerated, but is it allowed per the regs)?

It depends on the mess at this point. For the centenary of the naval reserve of Canada (1923-2023), the Admiral has issued a blanket permission for retired naval reservists to wear mess kits to any function related to the celebrations that they chose to attend.

I’m seeing retired folk in the Mess in mess dress. Is this legal/allowed (it’s obviously tolerated, but is it allowed per the regs)?

Are they completely retired or did they transfer to, and still in, the Supplementary Reserve? Supp Res are still reservists and QR&O 17.06(2) applies to them as well.

(2) No member of the Reserve Force shall wear uniform except when
  1. on service; or
  2. attending a military entertainment or a ceremony at which the wearing of uniform is appropriate.

Retired. I am retired, most past CO's who were there are retired, a whole bunch of C&PO's are retired. We all got our nice letter saying so and in view of our good conduct, allowing us to call ourselves "Ret." :)

CCA recently approved a CAO permitting retired members to wear Army Mess Kit at mess dinners etc.

Retired. I am retired, most past CO's who were there are retired, a whole bunch of C&PO's are retired. We all got our nice letter saying so and in view of our good conduct, allowing us to call ourselves "Ret." :)
You forgot the quotes around "good conduct".

The obvious question of "how do retired members read CAOs" comes to mind.
More for the CO/C9md net to communicate this to their invitees I imagine 🤷‍♂️. I'm just a subbie who reads and knows things.

More for the CO/C9md net to communicate this to their invitees I imagine 🤷‍♂️. I'm just a subbie who reads and knows things.
i drink someone GIF

One of my favorite Bette Noire, now that I'm retired...

Nothing spikes the old blood pressure like watching retired POS you suffered under when they were serving getting saluted by serving troops, who don't know they're retired, just because said POS is strutting around in Mess Kit, preening their overwhelming egos.

Back