• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Major embarrassment

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
For crying out loud.

http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2004/08/13/fCanada109.raw.html

Major embarrassment
Canadian soldiers frustrated at having to abandon Afghan trainees due to delay on Ottawa's part
By Stephen Thorne / The Canadian Press

KABUL - In what they see as a blow to their credibility in Afghanistan, Canadian soldiers have to abandon the Afghan army battalion they trained for more than seven months, just as it deploys, because of a delay in Ottawa.

Soldiers from Valcartier, Que., and, more recently, Edmonton have been nurturing bonds with the 4th Kandak, or battalion, of the Afghan National Army since last winter.

They were to accompany their trainees on their first two-month deployment but had to inform them on Thursday - the day they were supposed to leave on a reconnaissance mission - that American troops would be going instead.

"The past three or four days have probably been the most embarrassing I've ever had in my career," a veteran member of the Canadian embedded training team told The Canadian Press. "Our vehicle was packed and ready to go.

"Trust is now gone," said the soldier, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "The Americans are pissed off. The ANA guys were ecstatic that Canada was going with them; you could see it in their faces. Now they're crushed.

"There is serious disappointment. These guys work off of respect, honour, loyalty and we're turning around and saying 'We don't respect you, we're no longer loyal.' A black mark is an understatement."

Defence Minister Bill Graham was expected to sign an agreement last week committing Canadian army trainers to Afghanistan through 2008, the first long-term undertaking Ottawa has made to the war-ravaged country.

The deal would also permit the Canadians to leave the NATO operations area around Kabul on extended deployments with their trainees.

However, officials in the Prime Minister's Office and in the office of the deputy chief of defence staff have delayed the signing, forcing the 16-member training team to adopt a new battalion that will remain in Kabul through Afghanistan's Oct. 9 presidential election.

Ironically, Kabul is expected to be more dangerous than the region to which they were to have deployed, soldiers said.

After the reconnaissance mission, members of Edmonton's 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, were expecting to move with their trainees by Sunday. However, the battalion the Canadians have been training since last winter was turned over to a U.S. officer Thursday.

It is at least the fourth time since last September that Canadians have been forced to abandon their trainees before a deployment, frustrating the Americans, who are in charge of the program, and forcing them - in this case at least - to make last-minute plans.

The sergeant-major of the 4th Kandak, Asadullah Barkzai, was disappointed at the news, delivered by the new embedded training team commander, Maj. Brian Hynes of Comox, B.C., Thursday morning.

"It is very bad news for us," said Barkzai. "They trained us very well and we would like to stay with them. Unfortunately, the Canadian government won't allow them to stay with us.

"It hurt a lot. We were a team. We didn't think of them like Canadians and we are Afghan. We were one, working as a team. It is very hard for us that they are leaving."

"There are obviously requests for Canadians to assist in training all over," said the new Canadian contingent commander, Col. Jim Ellis. "The senior leadership of the military and the government are looking at that. They have all the paperwork right now.

"We should hear one way or the other later on. However, it doesn't mean our commitment to the forces here in town is going to change. It's a bit tough for our guys because they've taken their troops to this point."

Small groups of Canadian soldiers have been embedded with Afghan and U.S. troops since last fall, training two battalions. Several Canadian-trained ANA units have since been involved in heavy fighting south of Kabul.

"The whole team was very frustrated" by previous roadblocks to missions with the trainees, Maj. Sylvain Rheaume, the Quebec-based officer who commanded the training group for six months, said last week.

"We have trained these soldiers to do a job and when it was time to do the real stuff, we were not allowed to be with them. We developed a really good relationship and trust and it was very, very difficult to let them go."

The long-awaited deal with the U.S. military and Afghan government would "repackage and redefine a whole new mandate custom-made for this work," Col. Alain Tremblay, Ellis's predecessor, said July 27.

Tremblay said training a national army and breaking the 1,400-year dominance of Afghanistan's warlord culture is probably the most critical element of the country's reconstruction.

"No central government will be able to survive in such an environment without the proper institutions - the judicial, the military," he said.

"It took us six to eight months to . . . convince Ottawa of the strategic value and return investment of getting into that initiative."

Until now, Canada's role in the U.S.-led training program has been ad hoc, based solely on Ottawa's relatively short-term commitments to NATO's International Security Assistance Force in Kabul.

However, the program, which aims to train the first 70,000 ANA troops, is independent from NATO and its Canadian Operation Athena. Called Operation Archer, it is only the second time Canada has been involved in large-scale training of a foreign military force; Sierra Leone was the other.

"It's not a short-term commitment," Tremblay said. "It takes a long time to bring them to a proper and decent level of efficiency as a modern military force.

"You cannot think that you can be playing at this on a six-month to six-month basis. It cannot work that way."

Just under 15,000 soldiers are so far enrolled with the Afghan National Army, which is slowly shoring up its numbers as the country's disarmament, demobilization and reintegration program retires regional militias.

Maybe it won't matter because, in a yr, Canada won't touch Afghanistan again with a 10 foot pole?  ::)

Small groups of Canadian soldiers have been embedded with Afghan and U.S. troops since last fall, training two battalions. Several Canadian-trained ANA units have since been involved in heavy fighting south of Kabul.

Does anyone think this has something to do with why they keep having to leave them before deployments?  Ottawa doesn't want people to think our soldeirs actually shoot people?

But Canadian soldiers aren't supposed to shoot anyone *MAJOR SARCASM*

I knew a Major Embarrassment once but he was promoted to Lcol. shortly after... :salute: :cdn:

OLD SCHOOL said:
I knew a Major Embarrassment once but he was promoted to Lcol. shortly after... :salute: :cdn:

Darn...I guess that one was just too good to pass up.

But if the Gov't keeps going, Embarrassment may be a General soon.

Armymedic said:
Darn...I guess that one was just too good to pass up.

But if the Gov't keeps going, Embarrassment may be a General soon.

out of curiosity, just how many of our Govt (LIBERALs speficically) bureaucrats actually have operations exp or any kind of Military exp at all for that matter? seems like the pen-pushers in thier comfy ottawa offices just discuss and dance around issues while its our TROOPS that suffer the consequences. how long has this been going on and  for how much longer?

side note: we know the conservatives arent good for canada (in terms of social policies and perhaps other areas) but at least we know they'd take care of our boys with a sensible defence budget!!!

:army:

digital said:
out of curiosity, just how many of our Govt (LIBERALs speficically) bureaucrats actually have operations exp or any kind of Military exp at all for that matter? seems like the pen-pushers in thier comfy ottawa offices just discuss and dance around issues while its our TROOPS that suffer the consequences. how long has this been going on and   for how much longer?

side note: we know the conservatives arent good for canada (in terms of social policies and perhaps other areas) but at least we know they'd take care of our boys with a sensible defence budget!!!

:army:

We know they would?  No we don't.  They might bluster about it, but that means nothing.  At the end of the day they have to run a more or less balanced budget or face electoral wrath, and as sad as it might be for us, Defence spending is not something that gets a priority treatment from any party, because they all have things more important to the broader electorate to spend money on.

I highly doubt a Conservative government in the 90s would have done anything different from what Chretien's Liberal government did.

I agree.  They can say that they want to increase the defense budget and get all kinds of new stuff.  But bottom line is ALL politicians lie.  I'm sure that the conservatives wouldn't lie as much as the liberals when it comes to defense, but unfortunately harper is too much like Bush for Canadian voters. ::)

Redeye said:
I highly doubt a Conservative government in the 90s would have done anything different from what Chretien's Liberal government did.

I disagree completely....

The Liberal Party at its base is Anti-Military.   The Conservative Party is at worst Neutral....

The Liberal Party loves big bureaucracy.   The Conservative Party is much more pro-business and therefore pro-efficiency.

Obvious Differences:
Sea Kings would have long ago have been replaced with EH-101 Merlins.
The numbers balance between NDHQ and Front Line Personnel would've been different.
Funding for Operations would've been in addition to the regular budget allowing regular, scheduled re-investment.
We would have 2 less Challengers....

Extrapolated Differences:
With better eqiupment and a government commitment, I would argue recruiting would've been easier.
We would've likely had a strategic Air-to-Air Refueling Capability.
We likely would've upgraded or replaced our C-130's by now.
JSS likely would've been at least in construction by now.
etc.
etc.

Bottom Line:   Don't kid yourself, the Liberal Party is a cancer on the Canadian Military and always will be due
to its underlying Chamberlain-like mentality....

Matthew.   ;)

digital said:
side note: we know the conservatives arent good for canada (in terms of social policies and perhaps other areas)

Dumbest statement of the day award goes to...

Ditto...

Nicely summed-up Blackshirt.

digital said:
out of curiosity, just how many of our Govt (LIBERALs speficically) bureaucrats actually have operations exp or any kind of Military exp at all for that matter? seems like the pen-pushers in thier comfy ottawa offices just discuss and dance around issues while its our TROOPS that suffer the consequences. how long has this been going on and   for how much longer?

Can't speak for the bureaucrats, but I believe the only current MP with any military experience is the new Conservative party defence critic, who I believe is an ex-general or LCol.

Here's an idea for proper defence spending and equipment: pass a law requiring ALL cabinet ministers (PM included) and senior bureaucrats in DND to spend two weeks per year in what ever third-world crap hole that they have sent the CF too. A few foot patrols 'walking point' or in an ILTIS in Kabul may rapidly change some people's perspective on defence matters ;D

Dear lord, if you did that, you might actually affect some change...  I thought the modus operandi of the federal government, "see no evil, hear no evil, do no good".  If you actually put them in a situation where they got to be on the receiving end of the policies they dictate from Mount Sussex, we might have a functional government...  Isn't that against our constitution??  ;-)

B.N.S.

You may have to add another name to the list.   IIRC it was reported elsewhere that Uncle Bill Graham used to was a "Snotty" in the RCN around about 1957.   Not quite current Iltis service but better than most.

Cheers

>we know the conservatives arent good for canada (in terms of social policies and perhaps other areas

Really?  How do we know the "social policies and other areas" we have really are good for Canada in the long term, as opposed to selected Canadians in the short term?

I know several of the guys involved in the training program - talk about a kick in the nutz...

They are embarrassed and upset

Highland Laddie said:
Here's an idea for proper defence spending and equipment: pass a law requiring ALL cabinet ministers (PM included) and senior bureaucrats in DND to spend two weeks per year in what ever third-world crap hole that they have sent the CF too. A few foot patrols 'walking point' or in an ILTIS in Kabul may rapidly change some people's perspective on defence matters ;D

That is just brilliant.

Huge kudos on that idea.  I'm going to send it to the Conservative Defence Critic tonight....

Matthew.  :salute:

Back