• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Log Officers

• Thread starter cameron_highlander
  • Start date
I agree the Army Common Course is a great idea..the EME School used to run their own course as well, while MPs were often on the CFSAL conducted courses, which were called the Land Log Environment Course.  CFSAL just never had the resources to do this properly, ie no crew served weapons, which in my day were borrowed from 1RCR which was the home unit of our Pl Comd. In latter years I recall the LFFL course officer was also responsible for the course, and I also recall the EME Phase II course officers were also tasked in.

One most positive point you missed on the new Army Common Course is that young officers are introduced to each other on a course that is identical for all, and hence I hope relationships are being developed on it that will last a career and spanning branches and corps. I still remember arriving back at 3PPCLI after a great summer wading through Borden swamps and my fellow Bn subbies were most surprised that I had spent the time there learning section and platoon infantry tactics. And I still remember someone, a cbt arms offiver, with good intentions trying to explain to me the intricacies of an Inf Bn adm coy after a.  I spent a total of four years with Inf units as a logistics officer, and b. having had this info drilled into me on at least two different formal courses and FOEs. Not a clue what my training involved to that point.

The "Common" bonding is a key element that will pay long-term dividends for the Army.  Much like the old RESO program brought together Reg and Res officers early in life.  A return to common DP1 officer training for Reg and Res (where possible) would be a great step forward in bridging the "We/They" attitudes that persist - whether between Cbt Arms and CSS, or Reg and Res.

Or, in the words splashed across the bottom of every PowerPoint deck produced by the Army HQ: "One Army.  One Team.  One Vision."

Back