• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lieutenant Pronunciation

George Wallace said:
Oh I think we can now state that the Chicken came before the Sparrow and went the way of the DODO, which brings us full circle back to Officer Rank....... ;D

GW

I always think of them more as magpies; squawking loudly but having such lovely plumage....

Found this on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieutenant

The British pronunciation of lieutenant is prevalent during 14th and 15th centuries with the word being variously spelled as lieftenant, lyeftenant or luftenant. It may have originated from a mistaken reading of the 'u' as a 'v', lev-tenant eventually becoming lef-tenant. Some sources state that the original French word lieu had an alternative form spelt and pronounced lieuf, and that the modern British English form retains the former spelling and the latter pronunciation.

It has also been speculated that it may have come from a fanciful etymology which associated it with the verb 'to leave', as the lieutenant only took up his duties once his superior officer had 'left'.

Another theory comes from the fact that in typical propriety the person or persons standing to the rear-left of a gentleman held power and were typically those directly second to him. The person or persons standing to the rear-right were considered to have no or less standing than those to the rear-left, such as aides, bodyguards, wives, etc., often holding this position for simple facility rather than societal importance. This tradition remains in military parades, with lieutenants standing to the rear-left of the commanding officer (when facing the advance.)

Thanks for all your help,folks. I guess we can safely discount the left behind story as fiction after all. :)

Hi everybody!

Here is the information that come from http://www.readyayeready.com/tradition/customs-of-the-navy/4-ranks.htm, and was also found in my Military Occupational Course manual.

Lieutenant is French in origin - (en) lieu tenant - and means holding a place or position for someone else, e.g. lieutenant-governor, acting for a governor. The Americans pronunciation 'loo-tenant' is closest to the French though our obsolescent naval pronunciation 'le-tenant' is close, whereas the army's 'LEF-tenant' seems a corruption of the worst sort. Lieutenants with over eight years in that rank were considered as a separate rank after 1877, the year the 'half-stripe' was introduced. Before World War I a lieutenant who held a command was called lieutenant and commander; in 1912 this was officially abbreviated to lieutenant-commander. In most branches promotion to this rank is automatic after eight years as a lieutenant, though regulations now provide for future promotions to that rank to be by selection.

Have a nice day!

One story I heard was that Brit officers objected to being referred to as occupants of a lavatory.  >:D

Walt's explanation is probably the most logical though.

Acorn

You don't like using the 'extra' U's and find lieutenant insulting? Well now, that is english. Color is not an english word. American-English yes, but we're not Americans now are we? They seemed to have changed a few things as I guess they tried to get away from the British as much as possible, I'm not very certain. I personally thing that who ever pronounces it loo-tenant, has been influenced far too much by american war movies. :p

I just say "Ell-Tee", like in "Tour of Duty"....

I always thought that the British didn't want to be thought of as tenants of the loo (Loo being the head or porcelain goddess over in England), so they came up with the term of Left-tenant.

G!

Wow, you obviously didn't catch the same joke two posts up.... :p

Yo,Aquilus! It's called freedom of speech(expression).That's something guaranteed in our constitution,but denied by our courts,my ex-wife,and some who respond to questions in these forums.Like I said,I was born and raised in Calgary,Ab,not Oxford ,England.

Thats Calgary, Republic of Alberta.... ;)

Attaway,Infanteer!!!Although,Sovereign Nation sometimes sounds appealing.

Then we invade Canada and make her back into the great nation she once was.

Wait a minute...isn't this digressing from the original topic,Lootenant?

Calgary is still part of Canada last I heard :p
Growing up in Canada compared to England is a moot point, Canadian English...
I wasn't trying to toy with your freedom of expression, you can speak any language you wish, however you are in Canada, so why not make the effort? yar.

I like to sound like an individual,not a member of the Canadian adjunct of the BORG collective! I'm also not known for being politically correct. Nuff said,boys?

Back