• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Party of Canada Leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Tuesday, McGuinty accused Conservative MPs from Alberta of "shilling" for the Alberta oil and gas industry.

"They are national legislators with a national responsibility," McGuinty told Sun Media in an interview Tuesday, "but they come across as very, very small-p provincial individuals who are jealously guarding one industrial sector ... the oilsands business specifically, as one that they're going to fight to the death for.

"They really should go back to Alberta and run either for municipal council in a city that's deeply affected by the oilsands business or go run for the Alberta legislature."

On Wednesday, McGuinty apologized for his comments and resigned his position as the Liberal natural resources critic.

Mr Trudeau, on the other hand, said fuddleduddle, flipped off Western Canada, and treated himself to a jaunty new cravat and a haircut.

Mr Trudeau needs to go back to grade school to learn plural and singular forms of nouns as he thinks "Albertans" can be singular.

"it's Albertans who control our community and socio-democratic agenda."

He is now saying he really meant an Albertan and specifically Mr Harper. Spineless and dishonest to backpedal an attack on all Conservative Albertans to one just about Harper. He should either apologize if he didn't really mean it or stand behind it if he did mean it.

He's doing damage control and trying to spin it and use people's dislike of Harper to make him sound like a hero. Considering the current Nanos poll that suggested Harper was trusted by 41% of the surveyed people when the closest Lib/NDP leader was 13%. But of course he's evil...

The Twitterverse suggests that Mark Garneau now has his money lined up (much more than the $75,000 "entry fee" I presume) and will announce his candidacy on Wed, 28 Nov, in Montreal and then, again, in Ottawa.

While I, normally, regard Ezra Levant as a buffoon, he does, now and again, play a useful court jester role. He does that in this (only modestly overstated) column about the "free ride" which the media party has given Justin Trudeau:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/23/speaking-in-liberal-mother-tongue-media-party-gives-justin-trudeau-a-pass-on-anti-alberta-remarks
Speaking in Liberal mother tongue: Media Party gives Justin Trudeau a pass on anti-Alberta remarks

BY EZRA LEVANT, QMI AGENCY

FIRST POSTED: SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 24, 2012

Two years ago, Justin Trudeau sat down for an interview on a French-language TV show in Quebec. It was a celebrity-style interview — the kind he likes best. Trudeau was wearing a Zorro-style hipster moustache and his shirt was, as usual, unbuttoned low.

He joked around, even doing a gag where he fell down a flight of stairs. But then the host asked him a serious question about Quebec’s place in Canada.

Trudeau summoned his best substitute-drama-teacher acting face — think of the male models in the movie Zoolander — and got serious too. Things aren’t going so well for people Quebec, he said, because “Albertans control our community.”

When the host asked if Canada was better when Quebecers were in charge, he agreed heartily: “I’m a Liberal, so of course I think so, yes … This country — Canada — it belongs to us.”

Trudeau’s claims are stunningly anti-Alberta. But they’re also just false. Canada is as socially liberal as ever — gay marriage, abortion on demand, affirmative action, bilingualism, etc. Stephen Harper hasn’t touched those in nearly seven years as prime minister.

And even if he had tried to, he couldn’t have undone those policies just with a band of wild Albertans. Only 28 seats out of our 308-seat Parliament come from Alberta. Harper’s Ontario caucus is almost three times bigger, and most of his senior cabinet ministers are from central Canada.

So it was a baseless accusation. But the facts weren’t Trudeau’s point. He just needed some generic grievance in order to bash the West, to demonize Alberta. That’s called bigotry.

So why did he do it?

Well, he’s a panderer. He was speaking in French, so he was counting on no one in Alberta hearing it. He has a different, lovey-dovey speech for them, in English, when he’s out West.

The insults came easily to Trudeau, because anti-western sentiment is every Liberal’s mother tongue. Earlier this week, David McGuinty had to resign as the party’s natural resources critic when he said Alberta MPs should get out of Ottawa and go back home. That’s not a gaffe; that’s standard-issue Liberal thinking.

But this story is bigger than Trudeau.

See, his Quebec supremacist video wasn’t hidden. It was broadcast, two years ago, to all of Quebec. To be fair, English-speaking journalists wouldn’t have understood it. But what about every bilingual reporter in the country? What about every reporter in Quebec?

To them, what Trudeau said was unremarkable. It wasn’t offensive, or even newsworthy. It wasn’t until Sun Media “broke” the story in English this week that it was grudgingly covered by other reporters. And even then, the Media Party did its best to minimize Trudeau’s gaffes. While Trudeau himself hid from the press, his media surrogates offered up any excuse they could. It was two years ago! He was just 38! It was just a small part of a large interview! It was out of context!

When Jason Kenney, the Conservative point-man on this issue, stepped out into the foyer of the House of Commons to talk about it, the scrum of reporters didn’t ask him questions. They debated him — asking him three times if his concern about Trudeau’s comments wasn’t just a reflection of his own party’s desperation.

The Toronto Star’s headline on the story was this: “Trudeau faces uproar for alleged anti-Alberta comments.”

Alleged?

The Canadian Press, the unionized, left-wing news agency, topped that. Their headline: “Tories target Trudeau as poll suggests his popularity keeps growing.”

Say what? No mention that Trudeau had slurred Alberta. The attackers were … the Tories! Oh — and in case you were wondering — Trudeau is super awesome, and they have polls to show it.

Some journalists practically asked Trudeau out on a date. Christine Tam, a CTV producer, posted a pretty picture of Trudeau on Twitter and wrote the caption: “Justin Trudeau can make anti-Alberta comments to me anytime!”

Oh, get a room. Or, don’t, actually — I prefer that kind of drooling to be done in public, for the country to see, rather than Liberal spin doctors pretending to be neutral reporters.

I need to be clear: I believe the media is biased - in all directions; I accept, even relish a biased media but I wish TV was more like print journalism with editorials, columnists and reporters (different types of people say different types of things (opinions vs facts)) and publicly stated political points of views, like the Toronto Star. As it is, I generally regard TV "news" as infotainment and I watch, mainly, for Brooke Baldwin's body ...

dirtyphplxjw0r.jpg

I also believe there is a media party, led, mainly, by TV news programmes that are desperate to fill a 24/7 news cycle; when there is no real news, per se, they must resort to either fabricating it (see the erroneous Postmedia reports on Conservative donations) or do fluff journalism - and Justin Trudeau is the perfect bit of fluff: beautifully telegenic and a celebrity just because of his name (think Princess Eugenie of York). But the media party is, largely, a herd: most are of the same generation which means they were "educated" (journalism is a craft, fer chrissakes, like plumbing, not a profession like engineering or the law) in a few schools, by a small cadre of like minded professors and they share a common social position which is, broadly: anti-conservative ... they aren't really FOR much of anything, just against that which they (erroneously, again) define as conservative, which they think of as being old and maybe even fascist.

Justin Trudeau is a celebrity, and that may be enough, in 21st century Canada, to make him our prime minister.

E.R. Campbell said:

Justin Trudeau is a celebrity, and that may be enough, in 21st century Canada, to make him our prime minister.

And Cam Cardow, the Ottawa Citizen's editorial cartoonist captures my deepest fears:

7602275.bin

Courtesy of the Ottawa Citizen

E.R. Campbell said:
And Cam Cardow, the Ottawa Citizen's editorial cartoonist captures my deepest fears:

7602275.bin

Courtesy of the Ottawa Citizen

Get used to it. I, personally am looking forward to being governed by a gang-banger from that gritty 'hood of South Central Stratford.

article-2238267-1635913F000005DC-355_634x573.jpg

Another contestant, according to the Winnipeg Free Press: Joyce Murray, a Liberal MP representing Vancouver Quadra.

Ms Murray brings one big issue to the table: "she believes Liberals, New Democrats and Greens should have the option of conducting run-off nominations to choose a single candidate in tightly contested ridings where a united progressive front would guarantee defeat of the ruling Tories," according to the Winnipeg Free Press article.

220px-JoyceMurray.jpg

Joyce Murray, MP

I'm glad she's in the race and I hope her idea is debated seriously.

I think (maybe just hope) the idea is a loser; it is, defacto, a partial "unite the left" project without the need for commonality of views on anything except Conservative = bad.

I think her idea will lead to less democracy rather than more. It will mean the disenfranchisement of great swathes of the population where their preference is not given the opportunity to face the electorate on an even footing with others. It also smacks of the "natural governing party" entitlement thinking that got Liberals into trouble last time, and reflects that the goal is to rig the system so as to return to government at all costs.

:goodpost:

It certainly reflects a not too tight grip on the feelings of the 99.5% of the population who are not in the political class. Even the members of the political class may be luke warmish to the idea. Why should a true blue grit knock on doors and contribute time and money to elect a dipper rather than work for someone of his or her own political persuasion? You may not like the Tories but that doesn't mean you like the NDP way of thinking and governing any better.

ModlrMike said:
I think her idea will lead to less democracy rather than more. It will mean the disenfranchisement of great swathes of the population where their preference is not given the opportunity to face the electorate on an even footing with others. It also smacks of the "natural governing party" entitlement thinking that got Liberals into trouble last time, and reflects that the goal is to rig the system so as to return to government at all costs.

But the results in Calgary Centre, last night, (Cons: 37%, Libs 33%, Greens 26% and NDP 4%) will give some impetus to the ABC (Anything But a Conservative) crowd, which has members in all three "progressive" parties.

In the bigger picture:

byelection.jpg

Source: National Post

Maybe the votes suggest that the "progressives" need to have a bitter internecine war, lasting a couple of election cycles (2015 and even 2019) to sort out which will be the "government in waiting," which the (distant) third party and the "conscience of parliament," and which a forgotten fringe movement.

I just read this. Former astronaut Marc Garneau has joined the race to become leader of the federal Liberals.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, is a sad but, I fear true analysis of why M. Garneau, despite having all the brains, ability, bottom or gravitas and so on that M. Trudeau lacks, will, likely, fail to win the leadership:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/does-garneau-have-the-right-stuff/article5743076/
Does Garneau have the right stuff?

LYSIANE GAGNON
Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Nov. 28 2012

“I have sailed across the ocean in a sailboat in both directions … I have gone into space, I have skydived. I’ve done all sorts of things in my life. I’m certainly not a dull person, even though I don’t necessarily bring that out when I’m acting as a politician.”

That’s what Liberal MP Marc Garneau, who will announce Wednesday that he’s running for his party’s leadership, told a reporter a few weeks ago, and what he said sounded altogether true and desperate. True, because the celebrated astronaut has, indeed, had an exciting life, filled with extraordinary achievements. And desperate, because whatever he did and whatever he says, people will still find him boring.

Politics is unfair. Here’s a man, the first Canadian astronaut in space and the hero of three shuttle missions, whose professional record is as thick as Justin Trudeau’s is thin. If substance trumped looks, Mr. Garneau would already be miles ahead of Mr. Trudeau, a former high-school teacher who, in four years in politics, has never expressed an original thought on policy. In fact, each time he’s made headlines, it was for some kind of silly comment for which he later had to apologize.

(I just received an e-mail from a 22-year-old law student who describes himself as a fervent “Trudeauite.” He went to a reunion where Justin Trudeau was the guest speaker to see whether he could transfer his admiration of the father to the son. “He told us we must change the world! This is what you say at 15, not at 40!” the student wrote.)

Yet, few within the Liberal Party believe Mr. Garneau has the right stuff. If Liberals are happy to see the MP for Westmount–Ville-Marie jump into the fray, it’s only because he’ll inject some competition into the leadership race and avoid a coronation. After all, he has much more name recognition than all the other potential contenders.

Alas, as a Liberal MP told Le Devoir, “Mr. Garneau has a good brain, he has good ideas on policy, but he won’t bring us back to power. He’s not a political animal.”

That’s an understatement. Mr. Garneau was elected at the same time as Mr. Trudeau, but he still has no high public profile as a politician. Even though he’s by far the most credible Liberal MP in Quebec (Denis Coderre is seen as an old-school organizer, and Irwin Cotler, although a distinguished scholar, is a rather silent figure), not a single mainstream magazine, whether in French or English, saw fit to write a full portrait of the astronaut-turned-politician, arguably because a cover story featuring Mr. Garneau wouldn’t sell many copies.

A consummate gentleman, he never raises his voice, and he avoids personal attacks. He’s not the kind of politician who rushes toward the limelight. I’ve heard him many times on radio public affairs programs, where he was interviewed on various policy points, and he always earnestly and rationally answers questions but in such bland terms that he doesn’t capture the audience. Maybe because of his military and scientific background, he seems unable to appeal to people’s emotions. He comes across as sensible, honest and, yes, dull.

On the other hand, Michael Ignatieff was anything but dull, and look where he led the Liberal Party. Who knows if Mr. Garneau will not be the surprise of this Liberal leadership race?

Indeed: "Who knows?" But the betting, the polls all say that M. Trudeau, despite offering nothing of any substance, nothing at all, beyond "great hair," will win the leadership race. The polling suggests that:

1. A substantial plurality of Canadian knows little about him;

2. That same substantial plurality Canadians does  not care about anything except his looks and name; and

3. Many of those Canadians - maybe even enough to give the Liberals a minority government - would vote for M. Trudeau (and for Liberal candidates) based on his charisma and their (Canadians') ignorance.

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Julius Caesar (I, ii, 140-141)

E.R. Campbell said:
But the results in Calgary Centre, last night, (Cons: 37%, Libs 33%, Greens 26% and NDP 4%) will give some impetus to the ABC (Anything But a Conservative) crowd, which has members in all three "progressive" parties.

In the bigger picture:

How much do you figure the drop in popular vote for the Conservative member had to do with the fight between the provincial PC and Wild Rose factions?

NP's profile on Mr Garneau:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/28/marc-garneau-liberal-leadership/

‘It’s not rocket science’: Former astronaut Marc Garneau launches Liberal leadership bid

Canadian Press | Nov 28, 2012 9:47 AM ET | Last Updated: Nov 28, 2012 10:29 AM ET
More from Canadian Press

It sets up an intriguing contest where the three most prominent names in the race are all set to position the Liberal Party as a comfortable home for progressive conservatives, rather than a less principled knock-off of the NDP.

Mr. Garneau is a former Mulroney-era Progressive Conservative voter who has criticized the Harper government for spending too much in its early years.

Continue reading…

MONTREAL — Former astronaut Marc Garneau has joined the race to become leader of the federal Liberals.

The Montreal MP made the announcement at a news conference in his home riding this morning.

“Believe me, this is not rocket science,” Garneau said. “And, I know something about rocket science.”

Garneau joins a crowded field that includes fellow Montreal MP — and leadership favourite — Justin Trudeau.

In his announcement, delivered to about 100 people packed in a room, he put an emphasis on fiscal matters.

“How we propose to deal with the economy will be crucial, not only for our party’s fortunes but for the future of our country,” Garneau said.

“If the Liberal Party is to become the choice of Canadians again, it will be because we are strong on their single most important issue of concern — the economy.”

The 63-year-old Garneau was first elected to the House of Commons in 2008 and was re-elected in 2011.

The Quebec City native became the first Canadian in space when he flew aboard the Challenger shuttle in 1984.

Garneau served as president of the Canadian Space Agency from 2001 to 2005 before jumping into politics.

Files from the Montreal Gazette
Related

John Ivison: Liberal leadership takes on look of Red Tory revival
    John Ivison: Fiscally restrained Marc Garneau a good contrast to Trudeau-mentia

Poppa said:
How much do you figure the drop in popular vote for the Conservative member had to do with the fight between the provincial PC and Wild Rose factions?

I really don't know.

I suspect that the demographic profile of most urban areas explains a lot. The central ridings are polyglot, mixed in every sense, and not surprisingly, more progressive on most issues than are neighbouring suburban and rural ridings.

I think the last provincial election and the election of Mayor Nenshi in 2010 exposed the fact that Calgary, proper, is unfriendly to the Wild Rose message, at least as it was delivered in 2012.

E.R. Campbell said:
I think the last provincial election and the election of Mayor Nenshi in 2010 exposed the fact that Calgary, proper, is unfriendly to the Wild Rose message, at least as it was delivered in 2012.

If I recall correctly, there was a fairly organized ABWR drive in both Calgary and Edmonton during the mid to latter part of the last provincial election.

Larry

Not only do I see the Dauphin getting the leadership, he'll be the next PM too come 15 I'd wager.  The populist mood swing that he evokes in certain circles will be strong by then if the discontent with the Harper government continues on it's present course which seems to be deepening as time passes.  The Calgary by-election should have been a cakewalk for the Tories.

jollyjacktar said:
Not only do I see the Dauphin getting the leadership, he'll be the next PM too come 15 I'd wager.  The populist mood swing that he evokes in certain circles will be strong by then if the discontent with the Harper government continues on it's present course which seems to be deepening as time passes.  The Calgary by-election should have been a cakewalk for the Tories.

I disagree for the reasons I gave above. I think the hard right wing of the CPC, the Wild Rose wing if you like, captured the riding association and nominated an ideologically pure but barely electable candidate.

Now that same wing of the CPC may capture more riding associations in urban ridings Prime Minister Harper really needs, in which case he may have to refuse to sign some nominations and parachute some of his own candidates into those ridings.

I think PM Harper has both his party and our our country on the right course: towards a moderate, centrist but less intrusive national government. A lot of CPC members disagree; they want to be US Republicans; if they capture the CPC then Canadian voters will do to us, the Conservatives, what Americans did to the GOP: hand us our asses on election day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back