• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Canada says it will look at increasing its defence spending and tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever growing sanctions list.

By Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 7, 2022

Riga, LATVIA—On the 13th day of the brutal Russian bid to claim Ukraine as its own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is showing up at the Latvian battle group led by Canadian soldiers, waving the Maple Leaf and a vague hint at more money for the military.

Canada has been waving the NATO flag for nearly seven years in Latvia as a bulwark against Russia’s further incursions in Eastern Europe.

Canada stepped up to lead one of NATO’s four battle groups in 2015 — part of the defensive alliance’s display of strength and solidarity with weaker member states after Russia invaded Ukraine and seized the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Trudeau arrived in the Latvian capital late Monday after meetings in the U.K. with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier Monday, faced with a seemingly unstoppable war in Ukraine, Trudeau said he will look at increasing Canada’s defence spending. Given world events, he said there are “certainly reflections to have.”

And Canada tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever-growing sanctions list.

The latest round of sanctions includes names Trudeau said were identified by jailed Russian opposition leader and Putin nemesis Alexei Navalny.

However, on a day when Trudeau cited the new sanctions, and Johnson touted new measures meant to expose Russian property owners in his country, Rutte admitted sanctions are not working.

Yet they all called for more concerted international efforts over the long haul, including more economic measures and more humanitarian aid, with Johnson and Rutte divided over how quickly countries need to get off Russian oil and gas.

The 10 latest names on Canada’s target list do not include Roman Abramovich — a Russian billionaire Navalny has been flagging to Canada since at least 2017. Canada appears to have sanctioned about 20 of the 35 names on Navalny’s list.

The Conservative opposition says the Liberal government is not yet exerting maximum pressure on Putin, and should do more to bolster Canadian Forces, including by finally approving the purchase of fighter jets.

Foreign affairs critic Michael Chong said in an interview that Ottawa must still sanction “additional oligarchs close to President Putin who have significant assets in Canada.”

Abramovich owns more than a quarter of the public shares in steelmaking giant Evraz, which has operations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has supplied most of the steel for the government-owned Trans Mountain pipeline project.

Evraz’s board of directors also includes two more Russians the U.S. government identified as “oligarchs” in 2019 — Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov — and its Canadian operations have received significant support from the federal government.

That includes at least $27 million in emergency wage subsidies during the pandemic, as well as $7 million through a fund meant to help heavy-polluters reduce emissions that cause climate change, according to the company’s most recent annual report.

In addition to upping defence spending, the Conservatives want NORAD’s early warning system upgraded, naval shipbuilding ramped up and Arctic security bolstered.

In London, Johnson sat down with Trudeau and Rutte at the Northolt airbase. Their morning meetings had a rushed feel, with Johnson starting to usher press out before Trudeau spoke. His office said later that the British PM couldn’t squeeze the full meeting in at 10 Downing Street because Johnson’s “diary” was so busy that day. The three leaders held an afternoon news conference at 10 Downing.

But before that Trudeau met with the Queen, saying she was “insightful” and they had a “useful, for me anyway, conversation about global affairs.”

Trudeau meets with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Tuesday in Latvia.

The prime minister will also meet with three Baltic leaders, the prime ministers of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, in the Latvian capital of Riga.

The Liberals announced they would increase the 500 Canadian Forces in Latvia by another 460 troops. The Canadians are leading a multinational battle group, one of four that are part of NATO’s deployments in the region.

Another 3,400 Canadians could be deployed to the region in the months to come, on standby for NATO orders.

But Canada’s shipments of lethal aid to Ukraine were slow to come in the view of the Conservatives, and the Ukrainian Canadian community.

And suddenly Western allies are eyeing each other’s defence commitments.

At the Downing Street news conference, Rutte noted the Netherlands will increase its defence budget to close to two per cent of GDP. Germany has led the G7, and doubled its defence budget in the face of Putin’s invasion and threats. Johnson said the U.K. defence spending is about 2.4 per cent and declined to comment on Canada’s defence spending which is 1.4 per cent of GDP.

But Johnson didn’t hold back.

“What we can’t do, post the invasion of Ukraine is assume that we go back to a kind of status quo ante, a kind of new normalization in the way that we did after the … seizure of Crimea and the Donbas area,” Johnson said. “We’ve got to recognize that things have changed and that we need a new focus on security and I think that that is kind of increasingly understood by everybody.”

Trudeau stood by his British and Dutch counterparts and pledged Canada would do more.

He defended his government’s record, saying Ottawa is gradually increasing spending over the next decade by 70 per cent. Then Trudeau admitted more might be necessary.

“We also recognize that context is changing rapidly around the world and we need to make sure that women and men have certainty and our forces have all the equipment necessary to be able to stand strongly as we always have. As members of NATO. We will continue to look at what more we can do.”

The three leaders — Johnson, a conservative and Trudeau and Rutte, progressive liberals — in a joint statement said they “will continue to impose severe costs on Russia.”

Arriving for the news conference from Windsor Castle, Trudeau had to detour to enter Downing Street as loud so-called Freedom Convoy protesters bellowed from outside the gate. They carried signs marked “Tuck Frudeau” and “Free Tamara” (Lich).

Protester Jeff Wyatt who said he has no Canadian ties told the Star he came to stand up for Lich and others who were leading a “peaceful protest” worldwide against government “lies” about COVID-19 and what he called Trudeau’s “tyranny.”

Elsewhere in London, outside the Russian embassy, other protesters and passersby reflected on what they said was real tyranny — the Russian attack on Ukraine. “I think we should be as tough as possible to get this stopped, as tough as possible,” said protester Clive Martinez.

The GOC publicly announced an RFI process in Feb 2022 that detailed the requirements for a replacement aircraft in great detail including some HLMRs (high level mandatory requirements). I assure you, none of those HLMRs are “made up” so the P-8 was selected.

If no other interested parties submitted a response to the RFI that met the HLMRs, having a bid process would be nothing more than a waste of time; time the fleet can’t really afford to piss away.

Here’s a link to the RFI, look to Sect 5 for timelines and the Annexes for HLMR.

I’d also draw your attention to Annex C; MOTS was not the only option being considered during the OA phase.

View attachment 81877

RFI is simply a request for information that is one item that can be used in the early stages of the process to help determine if sole sourcing is the best option. IAW with the PAMs "The Request for Information and Letter of interest documents must clearly indicate that the request is not a solicitation and that there are no commitments with respect to future purchases or contracts."

Vendors don't even have to respond to an RFI to enter a bid when it goes out for solicitation. Purchasers still need to do their homework to show that another vendor couldn't and wouldn't fill the contract needs when it goes out for bids. McDonald's may not respond to an RFI for burgers but they can certainly produce a hundred burgers with ketchup mustard and onions if it went out to bid so still has to be considered. Sole sourcing to Wendy's simply based on RFI alone wouldn't stand the test.

Basically it is a "we are thinking of maybe purchasing something along this line and am wondering if you have something in mind that you might submit if we actually put out a bid process. Oh and feel free to give any advice on what we are considering, changes that we may want and how we should actually do this"

Directly from the RFI:

"Participation in this RFI is encouraged, but is not mandatory. Respondents should note that this RFI is not a pre-selection process and that there will be no short-listing of potential suppliers for the purposes of undertaking any future work as a result of this RFI."

I am sure the GOC is concerned about not pissing time away on a bid process. Oh wait, that is one of the supposed reasons the initial contract for 35's was cancelled, it was sole sourced instead of put out for bid. Maybe that will happen again after the next election or even before if enough pressure is used and appears the way to save much needed votes in Ontario and Quebec.

I hope that all these purchases do go through if they actually are what the military needs. I am not even trying to determine what is needed as I have no knowledge of that and will trust others with the knowledge. I simply don't trust the government, regardless of who it is, when it comes to the military until things are actually delivered and in our hands.

Usually there is a RFI, consultation with industry, then a RFP (sometime a draft RFP then more input from Industry then the actual RFP), but other times Governments can conduct a market survey and award via JNA for Sole Source.

I believe CMMA had an actual RFP with only one bidder.

RFI is simply a request for information that is one item that can be used in the early stages of the process to help determine if sole sourcing is the best option. IAW with the PAMs "The Request for Information and Letter of interest documents must clearly indicate that the request is not a solicitation and that there are no commitments with respect to future purchases or contracts."

Vendors don't even have to respond to an RFI to enter a bid when it goes out for solicitation. Purchasers still need to do their homework to show that another vendor couldn't and wouldn't fill the contract needs when it goes out for bids. McDonald's may not respond to an RFI for burgers but they can certainly produce a hundred burgers with ketchup mustard and onions if it went out to bid so still has to be considered. Sole sourcing to Wendy's simply based on RFI alone wouldn't stand the test.

Basically it is a "we are thinking of maybe purchasing something along this line and am wondering if you have something in mind that you might submit if we actually put out a bid process. Oh and feel free to give any advice on what we are considering, changes that we may want and how we should actually do this"

Directly from the RFI:

"Participation in this RFI is encouraged, but is not mandatory. Respondents should note that this RFI is not a pre-selection process and that there will be no short-listing of potential suppliers for the purposes of undertaking any future work as a result of this RFI."

I am sure the GOC is concerned about not pissing time away on a bid process. Oh wait, that is one of the supposed reasons the initial contract for 35's was cancelled, it was sole sourced instead of put out for bid. Maybe that will happen again after the next election or even before if enough pressure is used and appears the way to save much needed votes in Ontario and Quebec.

I hope that all these purchases do go through if they actually are what the military needs. I am not even trying to determine what is needed as I have no knowledge of that and will trust others with the knowledge. I simply don't trust the government, regardless of who it is, when it comes to the military until things are actually delivered and in our hands.

RFIs are poorly thought out fishing expeditions where you don't catch anything worthwhile, usually.

If you want to receive some worthwhile responses you need to prove that you've already done your homework related to what you need, backed up by a competitive amount of cash, or you'll get what you pay for: not much.

The CMMA RFI detailed the intent and more importantly, requirements/operational capabilities the platform would need.

Ya; that was probably horrible information.

😂

How much of our current problems as a country are a result of an effective and prolonged war of strategic doctrine executed by our adversaries. Economic warfare, social warfare, psychological warfare... all of this degrades us steadily. Look no further than common sense to identify which areas we are being deliberately and effectively targeted in.
So the last time I essentially tried to suggest the same thing as you, I was widely called a conspiracy theorist. (I was drunk and it took me hours to finish my post...and I probably posted it in the wrong thread anyway)

I would say a bulk of the problems we currently face as a country (I wouldn't label what we have ahead of us as a challenge) I believe are the result of us being effectively targeted in social warfare, psychological warfare, economic warfare, industrial warfare, etc.

I believe the heated and emotional debate around gender issues is definitely something that was introduced deliberately & used to fuel an artificial divide between the citizenry.

Not supporting our oil & gas industry is a deliberate campaign to eliminate jobs & sources of economic prosperity across the country - while at the same time spending the coffers completely bare.

Last week our projected deficit for this upcoming year was $20B, now it is projected at $40B.

Our national debt jumped from $1.1 to $2.1 trillion dollars in just 8 years, and during this 8 years the government has taxed the citizenry more than at any point in our history...and what do we have to show for it?

A trillion dollars spent above and beyond what the government brought in during that same time period...and again, what do we have to show for it?

Where did all that money go?

A decade ago, these issues weren't what they are today.

Countries looked to develop their industries and resources, not boycott their own industry as much as possible and work against them.

People knew what gender they were through a mastered aspect of their sense of self (maybe not everybody, but everybody knew Bob wasn't multiple genders that changed depending on the moon cycle, including Bob...)

Nobody got violently enraged that there was a black person on the Aunt Jamima box, nor did anybody ask whether Uncle Ben was a real person or not (a question they don't seem to ask about Tony the Tiger, which is kinda racist in and of itself...)

Boys went to the boys washroom. Girls went to the girls washroom. Nobody had to be told why... it just magically seemed to happen on its own.

Most western countries have been infected with a true, tangible retardation of the fabrics of our societies.

This was partially our own doing as we tried to make our workforce more diverse, more inclusive, and resolve long standing social justice issues that had been nagging at our societies - we got a bit too carried away with the destruction of the pillars of our society, thinking we were leading change for the better.

The other part of this was the deliberate hijacking of western world governments by the WEF and their ilk.

You can't have a Prime Minister personally mentioned and introduced in Davos by none other than Klaus Schwab, and not realize that our PM has clearly been trying to make Klaus's book a reality. Fuck the citizenry, seriously, fuck em'...

Democracies tend to have the citizens vote for their leaders, who in turn work on behalf of the citizens to achieve the things they claimed they would when campaigning for those citizen's votes.

Yet in the last few years we have internet censorship legislation that NOBODY wanted and the citizenry weren't even consulted on...

We have firearms legislation that specifically targets law abiding gun owners who haven't violated the law...

We are about to quadruple a carbon tax that not only does the citizenry not want nor ever did, but economists the world over have looked at and seen as an amazingly efficient way to fuck up an economy...

We are taxing our farmers out of work, while big global companies are buying up that land at a record pace...

Etc etc - the list could easily go on, and on, and on...

My thoughts are yes. This modern day minefield of imaginary social issues, compounded by real government spending on nothing at all, the blatant attack on the traditional family, and government pushing ahead on internet censorship, speech censorship, etc etc is very much the result of a clear, sustained, deliberate effort by someone...

Who that someone is could be open to interpretation I suppose. (China? Russia? My guess is that someone is actually ourselves, knowing the consequences and deliberately pushing for them anyway...)

(KevinB, you aren't wrong about us F**king ourselves in some big ways, as much as we wish we could blame it on someone else. But the US of A is in the canoe right next to us, about 20km up a little known water way called Shit Creek...how's that southern border lookin'?) 🤨😉❤️

add something else coming, Christmas is coming to the CAF

Forge caps for all ranks (again)? New service dress? Removal of approval for beards in army units?

Happy Little Girl GIF by Demic

which to me tells me we are sending units that really are not ready to go over sea's are represent our nation. We shouldn't have really good units and really bad ones, thats a leadership failure, and a big one if units aren't ready are being sent instead of being given extra training.
Or maybe, just maybe, different people have different impressions of different groups they work with based on their deployment and the jobs they were doing at the time and individual anecdotes should be taken with healthy grains of salt. Unless it’s about the Spanish who are junk.

Or maybe, just maybe, different people have different impressions of different groups they work with based on their deployment and the jobs they were doing at the time and individual anecdotes should be taken with healthy grains of salt. Unless it’s about the Spanish who are junk.
"The guys in the other ship have no idea what they're doing!"
-Every bridgeteam of a ship conducting formation manoeuvres

I imagine the same sort of thoughts come up between battlegroups in the field...

RFIs are poorly thought out fishing expeditions where you don't catch anything worthwhile, usually.

If you want to receive some worthwhile responses you need to prove that you've already done your homework related to what you need, backed up by a competitive amount of cash, or you'll get what you pay for: not much.
YMMV; we did a market survey, did an RFI, and then spoke directly with vendors on multiple RFPs and used that to shape the RFP. It is an interesting poker game, and all gets vetted to make sure you aren't unfairly weighing something specifically for one bidder.

Things like scoring criteria, T&Cs etc are all really relevant (especially when ISED was doing the IRB replacement pilot T&Cs).

That was on smaller contracts under $20M, all the way up to big strategic things like AJISS and NSS. If it's a big enough for that market, you will get serious interest and real returns. If you are a small contract relative to the market no one will care and you are better off browsing the company websites and doing market survey yourself on google.

Anyway, a sole source contract award has a notification that goes out anyway where anyone can submit a notice that they could have bid (which can send a sole source back to an RFP), if one of the mandatories is a working aircraft in service with other militaries it's pretty hard for Bombardier to argue they would qualify, and it's a pretty reasonable requirement.

Back