• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

The Australian numbers are wrong to the tune of being 1/3 their actual numbers. But what’s lost in this is often that the USMC doesn’t have to fill the same HQ roles as the CAF does because it’s not the all singing all dancing service.

We also have way less generals listed on Dashboard than that figure, so I'm not sure where our numbers are coming from.

We also have way less generals listed on Dashboard than that figure, so I'm not sure where our numbers are coming from.
147 as of December 2023.

The Divs now have a Reg F MGen in command or did that change?

Also, looking (obviously too far) back at this meme, the CAF to USMC similarities sort of end once you go beyond “the USMC has this many people”. The USMC doesn’t have its own medical pers - those are the USN. The USMC doesn’t even crew the ships they sail in - again, those are the USN.

But hey, why bring “facts” and “context” into memes, right?
When I look the USN doesn't have medics they are corpsmen. :) So those facts are really out there then.

The Divs now have a Reg F MGen in command or did that change?
Div Comds are BGen, less Comd CADTC who is MGen (as he is also double tapped as the Army Training Authority as well as the L2 Comd)

When I look the USN doesn't have medics they are corpsmen. :) So those facts are really out there then.
Never bring facts to a meme fight.

147 as of December 2023.

Is That All American Horror Story GIF by FX Networks

Well yes and no, at least in Canada.

A 3 or 4-star? Definitely.

A 2-star? Sure.

Some of the 1-stars will have a Maj or a Capt EA if they aren’t in a Command position. Unlikely to have anybody else.

I can’t say for sure about other countries.

Also, looking (obviously too far) back at this meme, the CAF to USMC similarities sort of end once you go beyond “the USMC has this many people”. The USMC doesn’t have its own medical pers - those are the USN. The USMC doesn’t even crew the ships they sail in - again, those are the USN.

But hey, why bring “facts” and “context” into memes, right?
The fact is that Canada is top heavy. Period. Even if we play with the numbers...

Div Comds are BGen, less Comd CADTC who is MGen (as he is also double tapped as the Army Training Authority as well as the L2 Comd)

Never bring facts to a meme fight.
Well never clued into that, guess I would have paid attention if I really cared enough. When we went from MA to LFA the comd went from a PRes BGen to MGen while the BGen became DComd. Guess they downgraded it when it changed to Divs. Never thought they would downgrade it.

Well never clued into that, guess I would have paid attention if I really cared enough. When we went from MA to LFA the comd went from a PRes BGen to MGen while the BGen became DComd. Guess they downgraded it when it changed to Divs. Never thought they would downgrade it.
Yet somehow the navy can justify RAdms on each coast to command the Commodore on each coast...

Meanwhile

The Commander, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Command (COMMARFORCOM), headquartered at the Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads in Norfolk, Virginia, commands service retained-operating forces; executes force sourcing and synchronization to affect force generation actions in the provisioning of joint capable Marine Corps forces, and directs deployment planning and execution of service retained-operating forces in support of Combatant Commander (CCDR) and service requirements; serves as Commanding General, Fleet Marine Force, Atlantic (CG FMFLANT) and commands embarked Marine Corps forces; coordinates Marine Corps-Navy integration of operational initiatives and advises CDR U.S. Fleet Forces Command (USFF) on support to Marine Corps forces assigned to naval ships, bases, and installations; conducts Service directed operational tasks as required. COMMARFORCOM is also the Commander, Marine Corps Forces Northern Command (MARFORNORTH), the Marine service component command of U.S. Northern Command.

One General. Three hats.

Meanwhile

The Commander, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Command (COMMARFORCOM), headquartered at the Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads in Norfolk, Virginia, commands service retained-operating forces; executes force sourcing and synchronization to affect force generation actions in the provisioning of joint capable Marine Corps forces, and directs deployment planning and execution of service retained-operating forces in support of Combatant Commander (CCDR) and service requirements; serves as Commanding General, Fleet Marine Force, Atlantic (CG FMFLANT) and commands embarked Marine Corps forces; coordinates Marine Corps-Navy integration of operational initiatives and advises CDR U.S. Fleet Forces Command (USFF) on support to Marine Corps forces assigned to naval ships, bases, and installations; conducts Service directed operational tasks as required. COMMARFORCOM is also the Commander, Marine Corps Forces Northern Command (MARFORNORTH), the Marine service component command of U.S. Northern Command.

One General. Three hats.
I mean, if we’re going with that, Comd 1 CAD commands 1 CAD, the Joint Force Air Component (JFAC), the Canadian NORAD Region (CANR), and Search and Rescue Region (SRR) Trenton…

:sneaky:

I mean, if we’re going with that, Comd 1 CAD commands 1 CAD, the Joint Force Air Component (JFAC), the Canadian NORAD Region (CANR), and Search and Rescue Region (SRR) Trenton…

:sneaky:

Fair comment. ;)

So what are the rest of them doing?

Yet somehow the navy can justify RAdms on each coast to command the Commodore on each coast...
With ships that chop out to CJOC when deployed internationally, so they are responsible for ships only when doing non-expeditionary sailing, and the various lodger units that fall under the area Commands. MCC, the Navy interface into CJOC, is usually combined with a wide variety of swear words (in both official languages) due to being generally useless and only serving to slow things down like request for technical assistance visits by sitting on the paperwork.

To confuse things further there is is a unified Command for the schools located on both coasts that is based on the West coast, which has weirdly led to the schools on the East coast going to shit. There is something similar for a Command on the East coast that looks after something else on both coasts that also went to shit out west, but I can't remember which particular shit show that is at the moment, as they all kind of blur together into a giant institutional pile after a while.

My favourite bit is the units that are under a single command have different internal org structures and coastal proceses, so not sure what it actually did, other than create a new report for the school COs and a new approval gate for all things.

It's been about a decade though, so probably time for the routine 're-org' back to 'organization chart loadout A' after getting used to 'loadout C' for a while. I've been in long enough that my original courseware from when I was a trainee now has the correct org structure again after a few shuffles (even if the acronyms are different).

Back