• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Canada says it will look at increasing its defence spending and tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever growing sanctions list.

By Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 7, 2022

Riga, LATVIA—On the 13th day of the brutal Russian bid to claim Ukraine as its own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is showing up at the Latvian battle group led by Canadian soldiers, waving the Maple Leaf and a vague hint at more money for the military.

Canada has been waving the NATO flag for nearly seven years in Latvia as a bulwark against Russia’s further incursions in Eastern Europe.

Canada stepped up to lead one of NATO’s four battle groups in 2015 — part of the defensive alliance’s display of strength and solidarity with weaker member states after Russia invaded Ukraine and seized the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Trudeau arrived in the Latvian capital late Monday after meetings in the U.K. with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier Monday, faced with a seemingly unstoppable war in Ukraine, Trudeau said he will look at increasing Canada’s defence spending. Given world events, he said there are “certainly reflections to have.”

And Canada tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever-growing sanctions list.

The latest round of sanctions includes names Trudeau said were identified by jailed Russian opposition leader and Putin nemesis Alexei Navalny.

However, on a day when Trudeau cited the new sanctions, and Johnson touted new measures meant to expose Russian property owners in his country, Rutte admitted sanctions are not working.

Yet they all called for more concerted international efforts over the long haul, including more economic measures and more humanitarian aid, with Johnson and Rutte divided over how quickly countries need to get off Russian oil and gas.

The 10 latest names on Canada’s target list do not include Roman Abramovich — a Russian billionaire Navalny has been flagging to Canada since at least 2017. Canada appears to have sanctioned about 20 of the 35 names on Navalny’s list.

The Conservative opposition says the Liberal government is not yet exerting maximum pressure on Putin, and should do more to bolster Canadian Forces, including by finally approving the purchase of fighter jets.

Foreign affairs critic Michael Chong said in an interview that Ottawa must still sanction “additional oligarchs close to President Putin who have significant assets in Canada.”

Abramovich owns more than a quarter of the public shares in steelmaking giant Evraz, which has operations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has supplied most of the steel for the government-owned Trans Mountain pipeline project.

Evraz’s board of directors also includes two more Russians the U.S. government identified as “oligarchs” in 2019 — Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov — and its Canadian operations have received significant support from the federal government.

That includes at least $27 million in emergency wage subsidies during the pandemic, as well as $7 million through a fund meant to help heavy-polluters reduce emissions that cause climate change, according to the company’s most recent annual report.

In addition to upping defence spending, the Conservatives want NORAD’s early warning system upgraded, naval shipbuilding ramped up and Arctic security bolstered.

In London, Johnson sat down with Trudeau and Rutte at the Northolt airbase. Their morning meetings had a rushed feel, with Johnson starting to usher press out before Trudeau spoke. His office said later that the British PM couldn’t squeeze the full meeting in at 10 Downing Street because Johnson’s “diary” was so busy that day. The three leaders held an afternoon news conference at 10 Downing.

But before that Trudeau met with the Queen, saying she was “insightful” and they had a “useful, for me anyway, conversation about global affairs.”

Trudeau meets with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Tuesday in Latvia.

The prime minister will also meet with three Baltic leaders, the prime ministers of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, in the Latvian capital of Riga.

The Liberals announced they would increase the 500 Canadian Forces in Latvia by another 460 troops. The Canadians are leading a multinational battle group, one of four that are part of NATO’s deployments in the region.

Another 3,400 Canadians could be deployed to the region in the months to come, on standby for NATO orders.

But Canada’s shipments of lethal aid to Ukraine were slow to come in the view of the Conservatives, and the Ukrainian Canadian community.

And suddenly Western allies are eyeing each other’s defence commitments.

At the Downing Street news conference, Rutte noted the Netherlands will increase its defence budget to close to two per cent of GDP. Germany has led the G7, and doubled its defence budget in the face of Putin’s invasion and threats. Johnson said the U.K. defence spending is about 2.4 per cent and declined to comment on Canada’s defence spending which is 1.4 per cent of GDP.

But Johnson didn’t hold back.

“What we can’t do, post the invasion of Ukraine is assume that we go back to a kind of status quo ante, a kind of new normalization in the way that we did after the … seizure of Crimea and the Donbas area,” Johnson said. “We’ve got to recognize that things have changed and that we need a new focus on security and I think that that is kind of increasingly understood by everybody.”

Trudeau stood by his British and Dutch counterparts and pledged Canada would do more.

He defended his government’s record, saying Ottawa is gradually increasing spending over the next decade by 70 per cent. Then Trudeau admitted more might be necessary.

“We also recognize that context is changing rapidly around the world and we need to make sure that women and men have certainty and our forces have all the equipment necessary to be able to stand strongly as we always have. As members of NATO. We will continue to look at what more we can do.”

The three leaders — Johnson, a conservative and Trudeau and Rutte, progressive liberals — in a joint statement said they “will continue to impose severe costs on Russia.”

Arriving for the news conference from Windsor Castle, Trudeau had to detour to enter Downing Street as loud so-called Freedom Convoy protesters bellowed from outside the gate. They carried signs marked “Tuck Frudeau” and “Free Tamara” (Lich).

Protester Jeff Wyatt who said he has no Canadian ties told the Star he came to stand up for Lich and others who were leading a “peaceful protest” worldwide against government “lies” about COVID-19 and what he called Trudeau’s “tyranny.”

Elsewhere in London, outside the Russian embassy, other protesters and passersby reflected on what they said was real tyranny — the Russian attack on Ukraine. “I think we should be as tough as possible to get this stopped, as tough as possible,” said protester Clive Martinez.

It's been eye opening for some when I express that the CBG is not the priority here. There grey floaty things are.
There are people in Halifax who seriously don't think the RCN is the big priority?

Unlike Esquimalt, where the base is tucked away in another cove, it's pretty impossible not to see the Atlantic fleet when driving over the bridges.

There are people in Halifax who seriously don't think the RCN is the big priority?

Unlike Esquimalt, where the base is tucked away in another cove, it's pretty impossible not to see the Atlantic fleet when driving over the bridges.

There absolutely are.

I truly think the CBG would be better supported if it was able to establish 36 Svc (Halifax) into a 3rd line CBG supporting logistics/maintenance unit and detach from needing to go through CFB Halifax units.

And it could be done. Just need the positions and the money.

I have truly loved my time at the CBG HQ. The Army Reserve has been absolutely refreshing. The can do and positive attitude is so refreshing. I just think things from a sustainment and maintenance perspective thing could be better done independently.

Two weeks off means just that. Off. No appointments, no “come in to sign X nonsense”, off. Everything is done while you are on your two week rotation.
So where do they do fitness training? What happens if they get injured ?

To save money buy equipment that doesn't require people.

Or at least requires fewer people.

Maybe you only need a 6 man security section and a regional maintenance team with a circuit to support.

All equipment requires people; the buildings and vehicles, even drones, require maintenance and up keep. Then those people required support.

So where do they do fitness training? What happens if they get injured ?

At their local gym or field house, CAF could partially subsidize memberships. Is $20 a month out of your own pocket really a deal breaker for a regular gym rat? I know it wouldn't be for me. If they get injured then there's the local ER, CAF members can experience what it's like seeking medical care like everyone else. Maybe then they'll appreciate the MIR services and the instant care they receive.

So where do they do fitness training?
Not OP, but I know that at least one unit had a deal with the nearby civ gym because it wasn't near the rest of the base and its gym.

What happens if they get injured ?
I imagine that they would go to civ hospital, like what happens during off hours.

I'm not suggesting that's a good idea...

At their local gym or field house, CAF could partially subsidize memberships. Is $20 a month out of your own pocket really a deal breaker for a regular gym rat?

And if it isn’t available? We talk a lot, to potential recruits, about all the benefits of the CAF. Call me crazy but it seems like we should provide them. While it can be said “those that want to go will go” fitness training should be more concerned about those that won’t go, who’s going to ensure thats happening whiles Cpl Bloggins on his two weeks off? Also where are you getting a 20 dollar gym membership? Very curious.

I know it wouldn't be for me. If they get injured then there's the local ER, CAF members can experience what it's like seeking medical care like everyone else. Maybe then they'll appreciate the MIR services and the instant care they receive.
If your expecting them to regularly use the civilian medical services I would expect the provincial health authority will have something to say about it.

Also where are you getting a 20 dollar gym membership? Very curious.
Right? The lowest that Anytime Fitness (pretty bare bones in terms of gyms) offers is $55/month.

If your expecting them to regularly use the civilian medical services I would expect the provincial health authority will have something to say about it.
I think the regular shifting of med records btwn the CAF and provincial health authorities will be a massive headache. As it stands, if you get injured and go to the ER, you then need to contact the MIR to ensure billing and records are transferred properly. But @Quirky says that folks shouldn't be doing any work-related stuff in those two weeks that they're off.

Does this count as work-related stuff? If not, would the hospital wait for up to 2 weeks before med records are transferred and/or they get paid?

Edit to add: How about folks who need long-term stuff like physio, etc? Do they keep flipping between CAF physio and civ physio, depending on when their appointments land?

Right? The lowest that Anytime Fitness (pretty bare bones in terms of gyms) offers is $55/month.

I think the regular shifting of med records btwn the CAF and provincial health authorities will be a massive headache. As it stands, if you get injured and go to the ER, you then need to contact the MIR to ensure billing and records are transferred properly. But @Quirky says that folks shouldn't be doing any work-related stuff in those two weeks that they're off.

Does this count as work-related stuff? If not, would the hospital wait for up to 2 weeks before med records are transferred and/or they get paid?

Edit to add: How about folks who need long-term stuff like physio, etc? Do they keep flipping between CAF physio and civ physio, depending on when their appointments land?
This is what I mean; the admin hassle we have because of using our medical system becomes enormous. Let’s talk about admin; what do you do when your off and your pay is messed up and they need a signature to fix it / pay you via cashier ? Or finalize a claim ? How about your ripped you clothes day 14 of your shift do you wait two weeks to get reissued ? All of this would require some kind of support for those folks in their “off” time.

I only can speak to my own experience and observations. The most I have been exposed to how the RCAF operates were in and out of 8 Wing to head to theatre.

My point was mainly that while we need more $, we tend to take that money and piss it away in acts of delusions of grandeur thar making what we have more functional.

I would love to see more money as well. I need to get folks firing more than 49 rounds a year to stay proficient on their personal weapons. I need more money to perform the crucial O&M tasks that have been kicked down the road for decades.

The Army is garrison bound, yes; but there has been a lot of "ridden hard, put away wet." In the past 10 years that has come to roost in 2022. Especially personnel wise.

I find exercises in "who has it worst" only serve to deflect from those truly at fault, and continue the infighting between the L1s.
I’ll take some of that, and I would like my workplace to not be made out of lead and asbestos. It would also be nice if I could drink a beverage without being concerned about its content of heavy metals.

And if it isn’t available? We talk a lot, to potential recruits, about all the benefits of the CAF. Call me crazy but it seems like we should provide them. While it can be said “those that want to go will go” fitness training should be more concerned about those that won’t go, who’s going to ensure thats happening whiles Cpl Bloggins on his two weeks off? Also where are you getting a 20 dollar gym membership? Very curious.

I said subsidized, meaning the CAF would cover a portion of the gym membership while you're "off" living in civilization unlike in isolated places like Cold lake. I used to take a month off during the summer away from any base and paid the 30-day fee, which was $40-50. Given the current physical fitness state of our Air Force, I doubt many would use that fitness allowance. The amount of GenZs who work-out for their own health is extremely low compared to those who game all day pounding back energy drinks.

You use regular medical service while on shift and use the civilian services when off for any emergencies. Like we do now. I don't book regular medical appointments when I'm on leave.

I only can speak to my own experience and observations. The most I have been exposed to how the RCAF operates were in and out of 8 Wing to head to theatre.

My point was mainly that while we need more $, we tend to take that money and piss it away in acts of delusions of grandeur thar making what we have more functional.

I would love to see more money as well. I need to get folks firing more than 49 rounds a year to stay proficient on their personal weapons. I need more money to perform the crucial O&M tasks that have been kicked down the road for decades.

The Army is garrison bound, yes; but there has been a lot of "ridden hard, put away wet." In the past 10 years that has come to roost in 2022. Especially personnel wise.

I find exercises in "who has it worst" only serve to deflect from those truly at fault, and continue the infighting between the L1s.

Wait you get 49 “live” rounds a year?

I get less than that in the SAT, for the 9mm.

But ya, we all need more money and a procurement system and training system that will allow us to put it to good use.

I said subsidized, meaning the CAF would cover a portion of the gym membership while you're "off" living in civilization unlike in isolated places like Cold lake. I used to take a month off during the summer away from any base and paid the 30-day fee, which was $40-50. Given the current physical fitness state of our Air Force, I doubt many would use that fitness allowance. The amount of GenZs who work-out for their own health is extremely low compared to those who game all day pounding back energy drinks.

I actually find gym use much higher in our younger troops but that could be different organizations.

You use regular medical service while on shift and use the civilian services when off for any emergencies. Like we do now. I don't book regular medical appointments when I'm on leave.

You’re also not on 2 week rotations. That’s 6 months of “off” time. Not unreasonable to assume medical needs will occur while your in your away time.

You’re also not on 2 week rotations. That’s 6 months of “off” time. Not unreasonable to assume medical needs will occur while your in your away time.

Then we need to figure out another system that works. We could just maintain the status quo, because change is hard and sometimes expensive, and keep losing people because of stupidity like isolated bases. I prefer to see the later and let the ship sink, maybe things will change at that point. We are already combat ineffective pretty much across the board.

Then we need to figure out another system that works. We could just maintain the status quo, because change is hard and sometimes expensive, and keep losing people because of stupidity like isolated bases. I prefer to see the later and let the ship sink, maybe things will change at that point. We are already combat ineffective pretty much across the board.

I don’t disagree I’m just pointing out that fly in and fly out creates its own host of problems; and it would also likely increase our manpower needs vs solve them.

Isolated bases should just be done away with quite frankly. The advantages of raining area proximity are offset by the costs of posting and out and retention losses. Bases closer to towns with reasonable housing and better services, by virtue of concentration, could go a long way.

Regardless which problem the CAF needs to address first, the answer probably isn’t putting an Air Defence Bn in Goose Bay.

Regardless which problem the CAF needs to address first, the answer probably isn’t putting an Air Defence Bn in Goose Bay.
Are you referring to the 2006 Harper campaign promise? Because no one has suggested it since.

Are you referring to the 2006 Harper campaign promise? Because no one has suggested it since.

I was referring to this suggestion
What happens if....

Goose Bay is revived as an active NATO training base but....

With a live GBAD-CRAM unit,
Enhancing drone launching capability to include the Kratos Mako UTAP-22 to complement the Kratos BQMs

Kratos-Mako-Tactical-UAS.jpg
Target_drones_BQM_177A_29_May_2019.5cee973471c0e.png

Add in an MQ(CQ)-9B overwatch capability and then allow manned aircraft into the environment for training purposes.

NATO scores a useful training environment.
Canada scores useful training, new kit, an experimental facility, new capabilities and international kudos
Politicians score Newfy votes.

Isolated bases should just be done away with quite frankly. The advantages of raining area proximity are offset by the costs of posting and out and retention losses. Bases closer to towns with reasonable housing and better services, by virtue of concentration, could go a long way.

-Navy isn’t isolated, West and East coasts in major centres. I think.
-Army has wainwright, which could be closed and relocated to Edmonton. Shilo is close enough to Brandon?
-Air Force has Cold Lake which is the biggest isolated cancer. That’s not going away with the infrastructure planned for the F-35. Greenwood could be moved to Halifax airport. Maybe?

-Navy isn’t isolated, West and East coasts in major centres. I think.
-Army has wainwright, which could be closed and relocated to Edmonton. Shilo is close enough to Brandon?
-Air Force has Cold Lake which is the biggest isolated cancer. That’s not going away with the infrastructure planned for the F-35. Greenwood could be moved to Halifax airport. Maybe?

Wainwright is a training centre; Edmonton houses units has no training area (well nearly). It’s standard to drive to wainwright to conduct most training and it’s workable.

Shilo is very isolated, having just been posted here “25 minutes to Brandon” sounds great until you realize your out of milk / butter / eggs and the canex closed at 5 pm because it’s Wednesday. Oh and you’d love to go have a beer and watch the game at the pub but there isn’t one for 30 minutes around you and the mess is open one day a week.

I actually find gym use much higher in our younger troops but that could be different organizations.

Out west young people are very fitness conscious, either the endurance fitness like running or weight lifting/Yoga and also very conscious of what they eat. I can't speak for other region though.

Back