• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Just want to make sure I'm not being taken for a ride.

ThatsLife

Inactive
Reaction score
My 6 month probationary period for re-applying for the forces has past so I am allowed to join now (after you VR you have to wait 6 months before you can reapply) Anyways it's been almost a year since I got back from BMQ, yes, almost a year. I just phoned the recruiting centre today because I wanted to change my application from reserves to regular force...they changed it..so I'm now going Regular Infantry but they said they wouldn't be able to book an appointment for me until my medical files got back from St-Jean which would take a week...they said they were already on there way...but what are the chances of me phoning back after almost a year and my files being on their way in a week from today...after a year of no word from me. Seems kind of Harry Potter to me...

Anyways, just thought I could get some insight from some of the higher-ups on these boards...Don't they send all your files back around the same time you leave St-Jean or did I just do good on timing and phone them when my files are due in a week.

Yes, they love to spin Harry Potter tales to everyone just to get them to run to army.ca.  Then they login and see what webs of lies they can further spin.

Come on now.  Your med files have to be somewhere, right?  St Jean is not Russia.  St Jean was your last unit. Where would they "send them back" to when you leave?  Does it seem illogical to you that they would go to your last unit, request your files, and get them back, within, say, oh a week?

I believe this has also been asked/answered,  a search may provide you with better results.

Also, pure curiosity; why are you re-enrolling?

Training files are held by all Schools for five years after the course.  St Jean will have your course file, other documents may have to come from Ottawa.

ThatsLife said:
.but what are the chances of me phoning back after almost a year and my files being on their way in a week from today...after a year of no word from me. Seems kind of Harry Potter to me
Anyways, just thought I could get some insight from some of the higher-ups on these boards...Don't they send all your files back around the same time you leave St-Jean or did I just do good on timing and phone them when my files are due in a week.

Man if you think they are taking you for a ride already, why are you even bothering? Your files may be transferred electronically or slipped in a courier envelope and sent out that way; things can come together very fast.  Either way give the process a chance to work before you jump on the "poor me" paranoia wagon that seems to circle around on this board.

potato

+1 May as well "VR" now if thats the case.  :-\

Time to "cowboy up".

Now..just to be an arse...

The poster here...is/has changed his app from Res to Reg Inf.

We don't know WHY he VRd before.  Does it matter?  I VRd in 89.  Served since then.  Going Reg's again.  Go ahead and slam me.

I think the poster made a bad choice of wording when he started the thread.

Instead of the pile-on...ya.  Answer the question or...back off and say...

"hey this guy/gal left for whatever reason...realized they had made a mistake...and then sorted that out".

but hey...thats just me...

This is someone that is tryin to go Reg's Inf...I don't see the problem here other than perhaps poor wording.

Everyone does know that "VR" isn't a proper "Military" Acronym right - just drives me nuts to hear new recruits threatening to "VR" if they don't get their posting etc.

Afterworking 2+ years in Release Section, I had to ask the New QL3's over lunch at the Mess in Borden what "VR" meant, as neither myself nor any of my QL6 course mates had ever heard the term.

New Military I guess we need an updated "manual of abbreviations"

Have a great Tues.

PoPo

I "left" to finish school because I want to pursue a career in law enforcement after the military and it was dumb of me to quit school.

Anyways, yes I agree I did word it somewhat odd. I would stay and post a response but I just realized I have ten minutes to get to work.

Cheers.

Mud Recce Man said:
Now..just to be an arse...

"hey this guy/gal left for whatever reason...realized they had made a mistake...and then sorted that out".

Nothing wrong with being an "arse".

However, if he/she/they are serious about making a commitment to the military why would they question if they are being "taken for a ride" so early with getting back in?  In my experience and I speak for me only...many who released early in their contracts were not for medical reasons but for IMMATURITY reasons. Couldn't take direction, away from family :crybaby:, and in many cases "they are picking on me and me alone. I'm outta here".

Upon reflection some realize they pulled the cord too fast and want another kick at it. Fair enough, we all make mistakes and they deserve another chance. But don't try to come back and start right up with "are they jerking me around' silliness, this is probably what precipitated the problem the first time around. You use up your "poor me mulligans" the first time around.

potato

p.s. nobody who released early was hurt in the production of this rant

Waiting on med files can be a lenghty process.I was at my unit in Petawawa for 2 years.I hadnt been to the hospital before and it was coming up on my annual check up at dental.When I got there they kept saying "are you sure your not a reservist?"(even though I had a bright shiny ,beautiful springbok on my head).They though my files were held at my reserve unit until I explained I was 18 and never been a reservist.My files never followed me from St.Jean.

It took 8 months for me to finally get my file sent from St.Jean.
Don't worry it will show up,but it may be while.

I know this may sound a little crazy....but trust me...the staff at the Recruiting Centres are far too busy and have a lot better things to do than come up with ways to screw people around. 

ThatsLife said:
I "left" to finish school because I want to pursue a career in law enforcement after the military and it was dumb of me to quit school.

Anyways, yes I agree I did word it somewhat odd. I would stay and post a response but I just realized I have ten minutes to get to work.

Cheers.

I wasn't trying to insinuate anything by my question regarding VR-ing... (releasing). I was just curious why you left, and thus why you are coming back, is all.

In any event, good luck with the app!

Back