• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining the reserves during university

Canabanana

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just curious if anyone who has served in the reserves (class A preferably) whilst attending university can give me some guidance. I'm in grade 12 and I am planning on taking engineering next year at the University of Alberta, joining the reserves for part time work during school seems really appealing. I keep fit and don't really enjoy most part time work available for students (like grocery stores and McDonald's), are the reserves right for me?

use the search function on the site , there is about a thousand topics on that exact subject !

Canabanana said:
...work available for students (like grocery stores and McDonald's), are the reserves right for me?

Working in the Reserves is quite similar to working at a grocery store or McDonalds, in that it is a team environment and everyone needs to be putting in their 110% to be successful. If you are not a social person and do not work good in a team then the military probably isn't right for you. As highlighted above, the search function will provide you with lots of useful information. Good luck :)

Well you aren't asking OpFor if they want fries with that, I just meant in the teamwork aspect. Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not.

I was being a tad sarcastic, but yes I do agree that teamwork is required in McDonalds and grocery stores, as it is in all workplaces and especially in the CF.

However I would not say that working in one is quite similar to the other.

I was trying to use that as a metaphor, but I guess it wasn't a good one. Regardless, the point I was trying to make, if you can't get along with people and work as a team the Reserves probably aren't for you.

Agreed.

OP if you are looking for a job that beats working at McDonalds or Loblaws the reserves are definitely a good choice. While I was in highschool I spent my weekends and summers doing some awesome stuff where as my buddies were stuck putting products on grocery store shelves. However, I did not make enough money just from the reserves, so I would also stock shelves be stocking shelves when there was no reserve work.

Canabanana said:
Hi all, I'm just curious if anyone who has served in the reserves (class A preferably) whilst attending university can give me some guidance. I'm in grade 12 and I am planning on taking engineering next year at the University of Alberta, joining the reserves for part time work during school seems really appealing. I keep fit and don't really enjoy most part time work available for students (like grocery stores and McDonald's), are the reserves right for me?

You'll work one night a week for usually 3 hours on a weekday, and one weekend a month (although not even every month; especially when you're a brand new Pte!). Obviously you won't make enough money to live off of so you'll have to have another job anyway... unless you live at home. You'll have full time employment in the summers, though.

I agree with what was said in here. Coming back after the summer, my friends were talking about how boring it was cutting grass and serving coffee. I was telling them about the gas hut, firing rifles, etc.

Back