• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Implantable lenses.

ExistancE

Inactive
Reaction score
I apologize if this is a repost, however several searches and reading the usual threads turned up nothing.

Could someone tell me whether implantable contact lenses are acceptable for correcting my vision. Although the process is reversable it is a permanent correction.

details here: http://www.gimbeleyecentre.com/visioncorrectionoptions/implantablelenses.html

the reason for this is to get my eyes correct within the best time possible without having lasik because my right eye has not completely stabilized.

If this process is acceptable is there the 3 months down time the army requires as per lasik?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Good question..  It's definitely a corrective eye surgery and would be considered such.
If I can come up with anything, I'll post it here as a follow up.  However, this is probably
decided by the doctors and an Ophthalmologist reading the vision standard and the task statements,
and isn't very answerable here as it will boil down to the doctors opinion.

I see your profile says Calgary Highlanders, so are you thinking of this for a transfer to the Regs?
If your already in the Pres, then this won't matter much if your just staying Pres.

OM

I'm on my basic right now with the Highlanders but I'm currently listed in a support trade as way to get my foot in the door and training with v4. I'd like to be able to do infantry and I hoped this was a solution, especially given the possibility of an upcomming deployment.

I'm hoping to do regs once I finish my degree and at that point I should be old enough for lasik.

I am waiting to hear back from the medical office at CFRC to see if they can come up with anything.

Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by it comming down to doctors opinion and what that would mean for me?

Thank you.

By opinion, I mean the Recruiting Doctor will send you for a consultation with an eye doctor (your cost).  Specifically asking
how your eyes and their condition would fit the generic and trade specific task statements.  Thus, it would boil down to the
consulting physician and the referring physician's opinions.

I would say, don't be so quick. Finish training and finish school. Then look at lasik once you graduate and your old enough.
It doesn't sound like there is any need to rush this.

Hi old medic... I'd be interested if you can come up with anything on ICL as well.  I'm 24 and considering joining the reserves, but my prescription is -9.25 so I don't even make V4.  My eyesight has been stable for about 4 years, so I discussed ICL and LASIK with my optometrist.  Basically, they make the same type of incision for LASIK or ICL, but instead of lasering away your cornea they stick an extra lens in for the ICL process.  Since LASIK is actually removing corneal tissue, it makes the eye more susceptible to damage from impact.  ICL doesn't involve any tissue removal, just a small incision, so has less risk of infection and scarring, is more reversible.  It just seems to involve a lot less trauma to the eye, with similar results. 

I also talked to an army medical staff sargeant that the Edmonton recruiting office referred me to, and he thought that ICL would not be acceptable because it involves inserting a foreign body into the eye, and would be difficult to obtain proper medical assistance in a theater of operations if something were to go wrong.  However, he mentioned that ultimately it is up to the medical staff in Ottawa to decide what is an acceptable procedure. 

I would prefer ICL and if that was acceptable to the army I would proceed in that direction.  If LASIK is the only army approved method, then I will have to reconsider.

Throw in a couple bits having had a few conversations with med staff at ASU

Even though they have been around for awhile they are still fairly new and no one knows of any policy. Further on that no one I've spoken with knows anyone who's wanted it done, much less had it done. I was told to wait for an answer from the surgeon in Edmonton but I get the impression that it will be a long time coming. Some of the concern around it did revolve around the scenario of them getting infected overseas (i don't know enough to judge how plausible this is) ect.

As far as I can tell for any situation that involves deplyoments it's not looking good, and a member on this board also mentioned offhand that it could make joining the regular force difficult should that be a consideration.

For anyone else considering this best of luck, but I'm just going to bite the bullet and wait for lasik, the army has policy for a reason.

Back