• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I made it through and Im in, but I now face an even greater problem

M

Mike_NavRes

Hello everyone,

Thanks for reading this message.  I passed all my recruiting tests (CFAT, Meds, PT) and I recieved my call to get sworn in next week.  I joined the Naval Reserves.  A few days after my final test (PT) my family recieved some tragic personal news, and due to concern for one of my parent's well being, there is no way I will be able to leave for the summer BMQ (Naval Reserve Training) which is 9 weeks long and held out of my province. 
I am still available for weekends, evenings, and certain days and I went all this way and I made it in, I recieved my lifelong dream of being in the Navy, only to have such a serious issue come into my life.

Please will someone in the Canadian Forces or well knowledged give me some advise what my options are.  Can I still get sworn in and start on my reserve training for my trade without first attending Basic Training, or does the Naval Reserves have weekend Basic Training?  If any one has any comments to my situation I would love to hear from you.  I left a long message at my Naval Reserve unit, but I wont recieve any answers until Monday, so I thought you guys could give me a head's up.

Most people would be excited because they are about to be sworn in and so am I, I really want to be in the CF.........yet I have another battle to face.

Thank you for reading this.

Have you tried talking to your recruiter? Im sure he or she will be able to help you out one way or another.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Man I seriously feel for you.Im sure your recuriter will try and make some arrangements for you but as for getting sworn in and not being able to attend basic training for another 2 to 3 months after i cannot see that happening. You best bet is to wait and see, because if you go ahead with your training you will not be able to do as well because of the stuff going on at home. I wish you all the best man. Mabey you should go ahead with the swearing in and if the situation does not improve by the time you course rolls around the you can contact the recuriting center. all the best  :cdn:

I was really hoping there was some sort of weekend Basic Training for the Navy.  I really loved that element.  But I really want to be in the Canadian Forces more.  Will changing into Army or Airforce reserves change my situation with Basic Training?  Since I completed and passed all requirments to be sworn into the Navy, I am eligible to be sworn in to another element?

Thanks guys for helping me out, I really need it.

hi there

I know how you feel i was there at one point and guess what everyone does the same training whether you are a medic a bos'n or a military police officer. Everyone starts off doing there basic training together, it is then after your basic training that you go else where and do your training for your job, when i was in basic i had ppl who where going to be air traffic controllers and they trained with me. it is after basic training that you go to your designed trade that you picked to start with. I really hope this helps you can changed your military occupation now and during your basic training.

:cdn:
Mcpl Boucher

Benoit said:
Man I seriously feel for you.Im sure your recuriter will try and make some arrangements for you but as for getting sworn in and not being able to attend basic training for another 2 to 3 months after i cannot see that happening. You best bet is to wait and see, because if you go ahead with your training you will not be able to do as well because of the stuff going on at home. I wish you all the best man. Mabey you should go ahead with the swearing in and if the situation does not improve by the time you course rolls around the you can contact the recuriting center. all the best   :cdn:

You can be sworn in and be in a "holding patern" for some time. Some people are in unit for 5-6 mos before they go on BMQ. NRTD Borden does BMQ year round.

Mike_NavRes said:
I was really hoping there was some sort of weekend Basic Training for the Navy.   I really loved that element.   But I really want to be in the Canadian Forces more.   Will changing into Army or Airforce reserves change my situation with Basic Training?   Since I completed and passed all requirments to be sworn into the Navy, I am eligible to be sworn in to another element?

Thanks guys for helping me out, I really need it.

transferring to the army reserve would change the basic training situation, but i am not sure this would be worth it. if you are set on the navy, dont transfer, because in most cases, transferring takes quite a long time and involves many hassles. by the time you have completed the transfer, the situation at home may have blown over... or something of the sort. id say to stick with your chosen element, as you seem keen on the navy, and wait it out. it will be worth it in the end, if the navy is what you want.

good luck, and I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I do appreciate all the help, thanks again.  One more quick question, I hear about the Canadian Forces Reserves appealing to so many businessmen, professionals and 25-40 year olds from all different careers who want to be there if needed for Canada, to be waiting in the reserves.  With Air Force and Army, I have read by doing searches in this website that there is a (i think) 7 month weekend BMQ, then evening and weekend trade qualification courses.  This would provide people in the working world a chance to enter the reserves without quitting their careers.  I guess the Navy is the odd one out?  It seems from what everyone has said, to enter the Navy you must commit 9 straight weeks during the year, which seems to conflict with the schedule most professionals, business owners, businessmen, firemen, etc.  looking to join Canada's Reserves.

I dont quite understand why they accomodate for the Army and Airforce reserves, yet the Navy is different.  Thanks for reading this, although it takes a tangent from my original post.

Back