• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I could really use some advice, please!

gQeline

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm 16. 5'11 (short, I know) and I only weigh 94 pounds. I plan to finish all my training to become a Medical Technician Reserve the summer I graduate, which is also the summer before 1st year university. I'm currently in grade 11, so I will be graduating next year. I have done some research on the physical fitness test, and I should be at least 100 pounds for my height. I have been adviced to apply now, so that way I would be able to do my BMQ during my grade 12 year. I still need to get into shape, to be able to do the 2.4km run and all the other tests.  But my problem is, if I apply now, I don't know if I would be fit enough to do all the tests, but if I don't apply now, the process and everything may take too long and get into my first year university.

Please give me some advice on what I should do? Thank you in advance

-GQ

5' 11" and 94 lbs?  Really?  Wow, are you a supermodel?

I certainly hope you meant you're 4'11", not 5'11".  :eek:

You're only 16, chances are you may gain some weight/muscle.  Besides, being small does not preclude you from being fit.  I was 5'3" and 105 lbs when I went through basic training and I had no problems at all.

Plenty people in University are able to do both their education and summer Primary Reserve trade courses.

You are 16, so I'd say no rush even if you do wait.

How long is the Med Tech course?

Don't worry about it.  By the time you join, you may have grown, or you will be issued a uniform that is too big for you and told you will grow into it......and..... You will.

Dude, when I (first) signed up at I was 6'1" and 130 - the MO was laughing.  You will put the weight on as you get older, no worries...unless you've got an eating disorder, which you should then discuss offline with your physician.

MM

I'm a small guy myself, and I didn't have major issues with training. Just make sure you're in shape, then apply. If you're only in high school, you should have plenty of time to do some time in the gym or jogging.

George Wallace said:
Don't worry about it.  By the time you join, you may have grown, or you will be issued a uniform that is too big for you and told you will grow into it......and..... You will.

I read that Audie Murphy ( U.S. Army WW2 ) at his enlistment was 5 feet 5.5 inches (166.4 cm) and 110 pounds (50 kg); after his three year enlistment, he was 5 feet 7 inches (170 cm) and 145 pounds (66 kg).
I bet the Marines never forgave themselves for rejecting his application.

Back