• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How pixelated uniforms turned soldiers into walking targets

I think I've seen that camo on sentry... then again maybe it was sleep dep.

Journeyman said:
Based solely upon the manufacturer's website claims.

True. But, IMO just by looking at some of the pictures on their site, it would work fairly well in the field.But as I said before, It also has several drawbacks, mainly that it won't work in a city setting, and all your gear has to be covered in the stuff. :2c:

Perhaps it's time to re-introduce red coats and white cross-belts?  In wool serge of course - all the better for the desert...

Pusser said:
Perhaps it's time to re-introduce red coats and white cross-belts?  In wool serge of course - all the better for the desert...

Last time someone wore scarlets in combat they ended up conquering most of the bloody world.

E.R. Campbell said:
Last time someone wore scarlets in combat they ended up conquering most of the bloody world.

Perhaps this should be studied by the Army Lessons Learned Centre?

E.R. Campbell said:

Our enemies should see us coming and withdraw in fear:)

ObedientiaZelum said:
Our enemies should see us coming and withdraw in fear:)

That's what bagpipes are for.  Well played, they inspire our troops and strike fear in our enemeies.  Poorly played, well, draw your own conclusions.

Haggis said:
That's what bagpipes are for.  Well played, they inspire our troops and strike fear in our enemeies.  Poorly played, well, draw your own conclusions.

That's what I thought till I happened to watch coverage of the Bastille Day military parade this past Saturday.  The first unit (performance) was a pipe band from the French Navy (the only pipe band in French military service).  They supposedly have a long (from early 1950s) history and a good reputation.  They use Scottish pipes and traditionally most of their members are Bretons.  I suppose my expectation that their music would resemble that of a Highland regimental group was too high.  Instead of the rich, warm sound that stirs my heart and makes me think of long ago battlefields, what emanated from them brought more the image of a roving band of gypsies or bedouins taking liberty with sheep or goats.  I suppose such would also strike fear in a flock who anticipated their approach.

TSpoon said:
True. But, IMO just by looking at some of the pictures on their site, it would work fairly well in the field.But as I said before, It also has several drawbacks, mainly that it won't work in a city setting, and all your gear has to be covered in the stuff. :2c:

It'd probably work in the post apocolyptic Thunderdome areas of Detroit  ::)

Blackadder1916 said:
That's what I thought till I happened to watch coverage of the Bastille Day military parade this past Saturday.  The first unit (performance) was a pipe band from the French Navy (the only pipe band in French military service).  They supposedly have a long (from early 1950s) history and a good reputation.  They use Scottish pipes and traditionally most of their members are Bretons.  I suppose my expectation that their music would resemble that of a Highland regimental group was too high.  Instead of the rich, warm sound that stirs my heart and makes me think of long ago battlefields, what emanated from them brought more the image of a roving band of gypsies or bedouins taking liberty with sheep or goats.  I suppose such would also strike fear in a flock who anticipated their approach.

You mean something like these guys?

Ohhhh....both of those were painful.....

Back