• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How pixelated uniforms turned soldiers into walking targets

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
How pixelated uniforms turned soldiers into walking targets
The U.S. outrages vets by shelling out $5 billion for ill-conceived camouflage that reportedly makes soldiers more visible
July 4, 2012
Article Link

The military has a major pixelation problem, and it doesn't involve computers. New reports suggest that the U.S. Army's pixelated camo uniform, introduced in 2004, is actually a monumental $5 billion blunder. Industry insiders are calling this a "fiasco," and many are enraged that the Army took eight years to address the issue. (See the uniforms at right and below.) Here's what you should know:

What's wrong with the uniforms?
The pattern is too easy to spot. Though the camouflage is supposed to help mask soldiers' presence in the desert and more moderate terrain, soldiers everywhere are criticizing the pixelated gray-green Universal Camouflage Pattern, or UPC, "for standing out almost anywhere it's been worn," says Erik German at The Daily. The mixture of the Army's gray-green color scheme with the pixel pattern turns out to be quite eye-catching — not a good quality in camouflage.

What kind of problems did these uniforms cause?
It's an "epic mistake that cost billions of dollars," says Molly Oswaks at Gizmodo, "and, ostensibly, many lives." Think about it, says Ubergizmo. Not only are the pixelated camouflage uniforms highly visible in their own right, but because the U.S. was bogged down fighting two wars, supply lines dragged, and many Army soldiers had the new pixelated gray-green fatigues, but old-school gear. So "soldiers were running around with desert-colored clothing, but their backpacks, vests, and body-armor would be colored differently with black or green," essentially telling enemies where to shoot. "At rifle distances," says German, "the problem posed by the dark gear over light clothing was as obvious as it was distressing."

How did this happen?
Apparently, Army commanders were "envious" of the dust-colored pixelated camouflage being developed for the Marine Corps, and rushed to demand a similar pattern in their own colors, instead of playing it safe with the classic cloudy globs traditionally used for Army camouflage. Things went haywire when officials insisted on using the Army's traditional grey-green color scheme, which, when paired with the pixels — not to mention darker gear — turned soldiers into walking targets. "Brand identity trumped camouflage utility," says military journalist Eric Graves. "That's what this really comes down to."

What happens next?
In Afghanistan, soldiers have been given replacement uniforms that offer better cover. But soldiers outside of Afghanistan are out of luck — at least until next year when the Army swaps out pixelated duds for state-of-the-art UPCs.
end

Well no kidding. ACU is awful. Any attemt for a universally applicable camouflage is doubtful at best.

Multicam is pretty damned good, but like most cam it works best when being seen *through* intervening stuff. Any camouflage that is expected to function well when placed in front of a bckground and working on its own had better be tailored more to the environment.

LOL, the Yank troops have been doing videos for years on Youtube on how much UCP on the ACU sucks.  Another issue is that the riflemen cannot lay down to shoot with the current chest arrangement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wCWiWDELrA&feature=related

ACU Test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD8o8gb8OEU&feature=related

GAP said:
... next year when the Army swaps out pixelated duds for state-of-the-art UPCs.
The skeptic in me doubts a new universal pattern will turn out to be truly universal.

Hyperstealth of Edmonton is contracted to the US Army to provide a pattern in the range of operational zone colours.  It will be universal in terms of pattern but the colours will vary based on terrain as we and the USMC have done.

fraserdw said:
LOL, the Yank troops have been doing videos for years on Youtube on how much UCP on the ACU sucks.  Another issue is that the riflemen cannot lay down to shoot with the current chest arrangement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wCWiWDELrA&feature=related

ACU Test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD8o8gb8OEU&feature=related

I have a photograph of my father taken during a section patrol in Jordan, circa 1947, with the Brit Paras.  Unfortunately it is small and grainy and doesn't reproduce well.

The section, 10 men, are heading into the sand in FSMO, ie full packs and not just haversacks.  They are carrying less gear than that poor medic before he puts his Aid bag on.

Shorts for starters.  Berets.  Rolled up sleeves.  Bare knees.  Webbing.  Rifle.  A single 1 Quart Canteen with water.  Water was only drunk when permission was given - usually when new water was available.

Camouflage colours - Khaki. 

MCG said:
The skeptic in me doubts a new universal pattern will turn out to be truly universal.

US military in Afghanistan are all wearing Crye Multicam - as are the Brits and Australians (some of them) - it widely considered to be the closest to a universal pattern around - sort of the "80% solution".  According to some DLR guys who briefed us the other day, Canada is looking at the same things for new kit - we're trialing new fighting order and in addition to a particular style, they're looking at colour options - Coyote Brown or the SORD base colour (sort of a pale brown-green) are front runners apparently. The rationale is simple - to have one pattern that works as broadly as possible instead of havintg to deal with multiple colour schemes.

Kirkhill said:
I have a photograph of my father taken during a section patrol in Jordan, circa 1947, with the Brit Paras.  Unfortunately it is small and grainy and doesn't reproduce well.

The section, 10 men, are heading into the sand in FSMO, ie full packs and not just haversacks.  They are carrying less gear than that poor medic before he puts his Aid bag on.

Shorts for starters.  Berets.  Rolled up sleeves.  Bare knees.  Webbing.  Rifle.  A single 1 Quart Canteen with water.  Water was only drunk when permission was given - usually when new water was available.

Back, about 30+ years ago, I was involved in a user trial - proving troops to wear uniforms - and I was impressed with the results. Various and sundry (mostly UK and US) disruptive pattern uniforms were tried in a wide range of spring, summer and fall settings in Petawawa and Wainwright (for sand/scrub). The 'standard' were three Canadian combat uniforms: one brand new, one laundered n times and one laundered something like 10n times so that it was, relatively, pale grey-green. In most (almost every?) test the heavily laundered, pale grey-green CF combat uniform provided the best concealment. LGen Charlie Belzile, then the army commander, told us that there was a HUGE, bottom up, swell of demand for a disruptive pattern uniform but he accepted the test findings that they didn't provide good enough operational results; the result, I guess was:

garrison.jpg

The soldiers got their "paint by numbers" kit and kept their fully servicable combat uniforms.

I recall reading something in the press within a year or two either side of 1960-1961 to the effect that the Canadian Army had tested various camouflage patterns as well as plain combat uniforms and concluded that the plain pattern in a faded gray-green worked best. It may be my imagination working overtime but I think I recall there was some commentary to the effect that it was very close in hue and texture to the Second World War German uniform.

This, of course, was in the days before the electronically enhanced (if that is the correct term) sighting systems. The army was well aware of IR and the early night vision devices and was procuring sights for crew served weapons as well as IR searchlights for our Centurions in Europe. In other words, the situation back then was different from today's.

Yes, in the late '60s we had large IR devices (six, as I recall) in Recce Pl and many (a dozen, certainly, likely more, image enhancer weapon sights which were not IR). They made a huge difference and forced us all to rethink concealment.

PVS2.jpg

E.R. Campbell said:
Yes, in the late '60s we had large IR devices (six, as I recall) in Recce Pl and many (a dozen, certainly, likely more, image enhancer weapon sights which were not IR). They made a huge difference and forced us all to rethink concealment.

PVS2.jpg

I haven't seen a Starlight scope since the 70's! Thanks Edward.

I can still hear the high pitched whine it made, in my ears.

Oh wait, that's my tinnitus acting up.

E.R. Campbell said:

Sitting in a listening post (just a shallow depression in the sand) with 2 other guys, about 100' outside the wire, in the dead of the night....we thought the starlight scope was the cat's meow........except you couldn't see much. It was easier to scan side to side and pick up movement than try to make out anything useful in that blurry green static field.....  just saying

Mr. Campbell, Old Sweat, I too had hear of (in fact seen some files) indicating good old "OG-107" was in fact one of the most effective "camouflage" patterns out there.  Maybe Army Aviation has done right for folks in potential SERE situations by retaining OG-107 "like" patterns with is current flying clothing?

Regards
G2G

We had long conversations about this very subject at the Artillery School, back in the 1990s when CADPAT was being trialed in Gagetown.  The consensus was that CADPAT against tree line made it fairly difficult for an observer to focus on the individual soldier or determine range very accurately.

On the other hand, OG107 seemed to be a more effective overall base layer camouflage. As Mr Campbell noted, a well laundered set of old combats seemed to blend in with a far greater range of terrain types.

FWIW.

Kirkhill said:

Some Para Reg Radfan flicks:

Smock and denims, smock and denims, be thee still my strength and shield... boots and puttees worked well: naturally ventilated with excellent ankle support!

http://www.paradata.org.uk/media/4325?mediaSection=Photos&thumbPage=8&mediaItem=32333&showZoomify=yes

When I joined at Depot Para they issued me a green 'rambo' style headband. I asked what it was for and they said something like 'so you won't go blind in the Radfan' (from your own sweat bucketing down your face as you climbed 4000ft in as many hours to go slay someone). Of course, that campaign finished many years before I joined, but that sweat rag sure came in handy elsewhere.

E.R. Campbell said:
Back, about 30+ years ago, I was involved in a user trial - proving troops to wear uniforms - and I was impressed with the results. Various and sundry (mostly UK and US) disruptive pattern uniforms were tried in a wide range of spring, summer and fall settings in Petawawa and Wainwright (for sand/scrub). The 'standard' were three Canadian combat uniforms: one brand new, one laundered n times and one laundered something like 10n times so that it was, relatively, pale grey-green. In most (almost every?) test the heavily laundered, pale grey-green CF combat uniform provided the best concealment. LGen Charlie Belzile, then the army commander, told us that there was a HUGE, bottom up, swell of demand for a disruptive pattern uniform but he accepted the test findings that they didn't provide good enough operational results; the result, I guess was:

The soldiers got their "paint by numbers" kit and kept their fully servicable combat uniforms.

Having been in Wainwright for some of those trials, I remember some of the comments from others who took part.  Brand new (and shiny) camo stood out (especially during the spring and fall when foliage was sparse) whether one was still or moving; well washed and faded camo was a bit better - more so when still.  Like the findings of the trial determined, our OG107 combats were marginally better in all terrain conditions but more so when moving.

Later, when I wore "that uniform" in my office I could hide behind the fucking potted plants.

A-TACS seems to work fairly well if you're stationary......don't think you'd blend in too well in an urban environment though

www.a-tacs.com

edit: only problem is everything from your boots to your weapon have to be covered in it

E.R. Campbell said:
LGen Charlie Belzile, then the army commander, told us that there was a HUGE, bottom up, swell of demand for a disruptive pattern uniform but he accepted the test findings that they didn't provide good enough operational results; the result, I guess was:

garrison.jpg

And, thusly, we became the only NATO nation to wear distruptive pattern uniforms in the office and not in the field.

But, if there is an upside to this, we inadevertently developed a generic OPFOR uniform for today's Army.  ;D

Back