• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How pixelated uniforms turned soldiers into walking targets

E.R. Campbell said:
Last time someone wore scarlets in combat they ended up conquering most of the bloody world.

Except on the Indian Station from about 1862 on........Khaki in one shade or another.  God bless the Empire!

E.R. Campbell said:
You mean something like these guys?

Well, considering that bagpipes originated in Egypt and were brought to Scotland (presumably Breton) by the Roman legions; so the idea of some Arabs playing the bagpipes, when you think abut it, isn't all that far fetched. 

:trainwreck:

Well, we've neatly derailed this topic, haven't we?  :nod:

E.R. Campbell said:

Yup!  All in a day's work.  >:D

E.R. Campbell said:

A job worth doing is worth doing well.

ACU is absolutely worthless, unless you intend to hide in a gravel pit, or by the side of a service road, though fortunately we are slowly getting a new pattern...(which is available at some PX's and Post Tactical Stores) however it's only to be worn while deployed....and from what we've been told the wear out date for ACU isn't until 2015...so I don't even expect to see replacement uniforms being issued(maybe...) until at least 2014. I can't speak for other posts, but every day I still am seeing units that are still using BDU style LBV's, rucks and other pieces of equipment...so I'm going to expect that ACU pattern items will continue to be around in the immediate future, even with their low points being quite obvious.

Is there actually any military issuing dedicated urban cam? It seems like the nature of fighting in cities (ie: realitive close range and lack of light cover) would render most camouflage moot anyways. Comparatively it would sure suck being issued grey combats then having to cross a park,  I would guess disproportionately compare the reserves as most woodland cam is dark and will blend into the areas in an urban environment when you can seek concealment.

Ex-SHAD said:
ACU is absolutely worthless, unless you intend to hide in a gravel pit, or by the side of a service road, though fortunately we are slowly getting a new pattern...(which is available at some PX's and Post Tactical Stores) however it's only to be worn while deployed....and from what we've been told the wear out date for ACU isn't until 2015...so I don't even expect to see replacement uniforms being issued(maybe...) until at least 2014. I can't speak for other posts, but every day I still am seeing units that are still using BDU style LBV's, rucks and other pieces of equipment...so I'm going to expect that ACU pattern items will continue to be around in the immediate future, even with their low points being quite obvious.

Roger that US Army's closing date for new camo is 2014.  Multicam is viewed as an intermediate solution to keep congress of the army's back.

R031button said:
Is there actually any military issuing dedicated urban cam?

USMC Trialed some in the late '90s

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/urban-warrior.htm

http://www.specialoperations.com/Focus/Regional/Urban/urban.jpg
http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/mout/urban_warrior7.jpg

fraserdw said:
Roger that US Army's closing date for new camo is 2014.  Multicam is viewed as an intermediate solution to keep congress of the army's back.

Well that's at least that's a year....now you don't happen to know if these will be free replacements or will there be lines stretching down the block outside clothing and sales waiting to replace old ACU?

Is this where we hear Surfin' Bird?

"A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird            B-b-b-bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word"  ;D

D&B

Disregarding the poncy young gunfighter in the fancy dress at the head of the parade - these folks in OD don't look particularly out of place in damp and dismal Belfast.

Kirkhill said:
D&B

Disregarding the poncy young gunfighter in the fancy dress at the head of the parade - these folks in OD don't look particularly out of place in damp and dismal Belfast.

Sure they sure do... at least they're sober!  ;D

But seriously... everything sticks out in an urban setting. The point of trying to make a cam specifically for urban environments is ridiculous. It's more important to make sure that your clothing, like the Dennison smocks these guys are wearing, is fire proof.

And anyways, because it is so easy to be seen in the daytime, we always did our best and most important work at night in the cities, when all the pond life we're drunk at home in bed, so it really didn't matter what we were wearing - which likely explains the prevalence of ladies lingerie amongst the Royal Marines (oops, inside voice).

daftandbarmy said:
But seriously... everything sticks out in an urban setting. The point of trying to make a cam specifically for urban environments is ridiculous.

And anyways, because it is so easy to be seen in the daytime, we always did our best and most important work at night in the cities . . . so it really didn't matter what we were wearing ...

It seems to me that the British Army combat uniform of the late 60s and early 70s was a plain colour and a bit lighter than our combats. It, however, was stiffer and when wet, it tended to be reflective under street lights. That. at least, was what we had heard on this side of the pond, as one of the reasons for going the Brits going to a cam pattern with a softer surface.

Ex-SHAD said:
Well that's at least that's a year....now you don't happen to know if these will be free replacements or will there be lines stretching down the block outside clothing and sales waiting to replace old ACU?

Sorry I can only tell you what I know from the contractors press releases.  Given the budget restraint, welll, you know.....

Old Sweat said:
It seems to me that the British Army combat uniform of the late 60s and early 70s was a plain colour and a bit lighter than our combats. It, however, was stiffer and when wet, it tended to be reflective under street lights. That. at least, was what we had heard on this side of the pond, as one of the reasons for going the Brits going to a cam pattern with a softer surface.

The pre-80s DPM cloth was pretty uncomfortable. Kind of like the US M65 field jacket but not as well fitting. The stuff in the 80s was still heavy cotton, but more comfortable. When wet, it weighed a ton, but in situations where the petrol bombs were flying, the fire resistant qualities 'shone through'. The DPM cam pattern was fine and worked pretty well for just about everything. Even in a city there are lots of green spaces to lurk in. And I always avoided street lights like the plague.

Of course, we were soaking wet and gungy most of the time, so the grime and damp just turns you into a gray blob anyways  ;D

fraserdw said:
Sorry I can only tell you what I know from the contractors press releases.  Given the budget restraint, welll, you know.....

Well from the most recent piece of PNN, it's being circulated that the "replacement" uniforms will be replaced within 2-3 years of their introduction by a pixel pattern similar to BDU for Temperate regions and DCU for Arid regions.

Back