• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

For love of the game?

Alex252

Inactive
Reaction score
I was listening to something about NHL players and how they only play for money, not like their kid who plays for the love of the game. Personally I think these people should rethink what they are saying. I think anyone that plays hockey( houseleague or NHL) plays for love of the game. Since i dont know how to set up a poll just reply to this question verbally: Do you think it fair to say that player in the NHL dont play for the game, but for the money?

i think the money issue is getting bad, but its nothing like baseball.... at least our hockey guys are playing hard, with more risk of injury, i think they deserve and they earn the money they get for the most part. but baseball i dont see how guys cause get paid over 10 million a season for standing in the outfield especially if nobody even hits to them during the game.

as for playin for the love of the game i'm betting that at least 99% of the nhl guys play for the love of the game. i know there was some guy a few years back that said he would rather be an actor but that didn't work so he fell back on hockey.... which made me mad cause i dont have the talent to fall back on hockey haha.

he tried to leave the nhl to act but he sucked or something. i wish i could remember who it was and more to the story. but acting didn't work out and he is back in the nhl.... or gone again, if i could remember who it was i would know for sure, haha

How can these NHL players even complain? If someone was paying me 1mil+ a year to play hockey I would shut my mouth and say YES SIR!

shaboing said:
he tried to leave the nhl to act but he sucked or something. i wish i could remember who it was and more to the story. but acting didn't work out and he is back in the nhl.... or gone again, if i could remember who it was i would know for sure, haha

It was Daigle! He left, started a production company, sucked at it, went bankrupt, went back to playing to gget more money to try again!

Alex252 said:
I was listening to something about NHL players and how they only play for money, not like their kid who plays for the love of the game. Personally I think these people should rethink what they are saying. I think anyone that plays hockey( houseleague or NHL) plays for love of the game. Since i dont know how to set up a poll just reply to this question verbally: Do you think it fair to say that player in the NHL dont play for the game, but for the money?

If they played for the love of the game, they wouldn't be earning the millions many of them do. They wouldn't be thinking "Oh, I only make 2 million a season, I can barely afford to live my life. I _NEED_ an extra million a year."

CFL players play for the love of the game.  They don't make enough during the season to live off of, so they have to get second jobs.  THAT's playing for the game.

Professional sports players piss me off.

If they played for the love of the game, they wouldn't be earning the millions many of them do.
How do you know this?
They wouldn't be thinking "Oh, I only make 2 million a season, I can barely afford to live my life. I _NEED_ an extra million a year."
Who said this?
I konw hockey players are payed outrageous sums of cash but at least they play hard. Also getting into NHL it sure isnt easy, you have to go through the whole rep,regional,provincial,farm team and then maybe NHL system.

If I had to pick a group of "PRO" athletes who play for the love of the game it would have to be the National Lacrosse League.  Most if not all of the players have other full time jobs so they can make the rent.  Now there is a group of people who play because they truly love the game.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

Alex252 said:
If they played for the love of the game, they wouldn't be earning the millions many of them do.
How do you know this?
They wouldn't be thinking "Oh, I only make 2 million a season, I can barely afford to live my life. I _NEED_ an extra million a year."
Who said this?
I konw hockey players are payed outrageous sums of cash but at least they play hard. Also getting into NHL it sure isnt easy, you have to go through the whole rep,regional,provincial,farm team and then maybe NHL system.

1) Because they wouldn't necessarily be after those millions. As my example of CFL players, they sure as heck don't make that much money, and they still play.  Maybe I should have said it with a little less of a definate inflection.
2) It wasn't a direct quote, but it's the attitude I feel when I read "Player X leaves Team Y for Team Z and gets new 20 Million/5 year contract."

CFL players make pocket change compared to NHL players, are you saying that NHL players play harder, or that the CFL is that much easier to get into? What about the military? A Soldier makes a fraction of what an NHL player does, does that mean that an NHL player works harder than a soldier? 

Jonesy, believe me Im not trying to defend these guys. And I never intended that CFL players dont play hard. Also I wished that soldiers were paid more but I guess thats life

Jonsey said:
1) Because they wouldn't necessarily be after those millions. ...

Actually... many of them are. And earning pennies doing it.

I wish i could bitch and complain about ONLY making 2 million a season for playing a GAME. If anyone deserves that kind of money, its the people who put their lives on the line for public safety.

Big Foot said:
I wish i could ***** and complain about ONLY making 2 million a season for playing a GAME. If anyone deserves that kind of money, its the people who put their lives on the line for public safety.
Agreed

Given the choice between being paid to do something I love, and being paid to do something I hate ... it's a no-brainer.

I've been paid to play hockey, and "there's no life like it!" (hmmm ... )

Back