• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fin Codes

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what does the Fin code mean? IE All those long numbers with letters in them... IO and all the weird stuff. I just punch it in the Excel and hope for the best. Any light to shed on it?

Remember I"m just a trucker.
I"m lucky if remember my FMS password.

Regards,
TN2IC

TN2IC said:
Can someone explain to me what does the Fin code mean? IE All those long numbers with letters in them... IO and all the weird stuff. I just punch it in the Excel and hope for the best. Any light to shed on it?

Regards,
TN2IC

But you will always know where the nearest Timmies though......

;D

Generally speaking a Financial Code is broken down as follows:

Cost Center      Purpose      Pay/Allowance/Claim code        I/O
0000AA            L112            02106                                      GRC000000000

Cost Center is normally the UIC of the unit who owns this Fin Code
Purpose is generic (ie: tasking, Allowance, Exercise)
The Pay/Allowance/Claim code is standardized (02106=TD claims, 01134=class B pay, 01133=class A pay)
IO is Internal Order. The list of these numbers would be held by your unit's budget manager.

Ah good.. big BZ on you! I will be printing that off for my desk.

Er, no.

Cost Centre.  Example 5001AA.  Organizational entity within DND/CF that will be attributed the expenditure.

Fund.  Example L101.  Type of funding - L for Local, C for corporate, can be Operations and maintenance, Pay, or Capital (and many variations thereof)

General Ledger account.  Example 2106.  Categorization of expenditure - for example travel (further broken down into domestic, international, for course, for meetings...), fuel, professional services, pay.  These fall within categories dictated by treasury board, and roll up into "standard objects"

Internal Order.  Example GRC0000FUBAR or 7895631.  Used to group like expenditures.  Can be across multiple cost centres, or are often used as subordinate cost centres.  Thus, a unit with a cost centre of 5001AA ("The Buckshot Fusiliers") might have an IO to track unit administration, one to track a winter warfare exercise, others fora variety fo other purposes.

dapaterson said:
Er, no.

Cost Centre.  Example 5001AA.  Organizational entity within DND/CF that will be attributed the expenditure.

Fund.  Example L101.  Type of funding - L for Local, C for corporate, can be Operations and maintenance, Pay, or Capital (and many variations thereof)

General Ledger account.  Example 2106.  Categorization of expenditure - for example travel (further broken down into domestic, international, for course, for meetings...), fuel, professional services, pay.  These fall within categories dictated by treasury board, and roll up into "standard objects"

Internal Order.  Example GRC0000FUBAR or 7895631.  Used to group like expenditures.  Can be across multiple cost centres, or are often used as subordinate cost centres.  Thus, a unit with a cost centre of 5001AA ("The Buckshot Fusiliers") might have an IO to track unit administration, one to track a winter warfare exercise, others fora variety fo other purposes.

You really get all hot and sweaty about this stuff, don't you. When the other kids were playing tag at recess in elementery school, were you rearranging your pencil box?

Old Sweat said:
You really get all hot and sweaty about this stuff, don't you. When the other kids were playing tag at recess in elementery school, were you rearranging your pencil box?

Of course not.

It was already organized properly.

TN2IC said:

Regards,
TN2IC

I am sincerely hoping that the above post and this one:

TN2IC said:
Does anyone know the photo of the "Trucker" Epaulet in CADPAT? I want to get a bunch made, but I need the pic to present it. Hopfully we will be giving them out at the CFSDC this year.

Regards,
TN2IC

Are not related. You can not utilize taxpayers money to purchase an item not authorized for wear on the uniform (only Log Br slip-ons, Canada slip-ons, or LF Unit 'owning' slip-ons) are authorized for wear by truckers and other members of the Log Br. That would amount to an unauthorized used of public/Crown funds.

Even "if" the slip-on was authorized for wear - your BTnO would have NO authority to make a purchase of them using Crown funds with "clothing" orders of dress because those items would ergo have to be contracted and stocked at "clothing" via the supply system. And, if he did authorize their purchase using his budget ... he would also be wrong as a budget holder has no authority to purchase any item that is "stocked" by the CF using Crown funds either - whether a clothing stores item or not.

A demand for such an LPO put through the Sup LPO section would not go through. And, any purchase of them by other individuals usings an Unit Acquisition Card would also be a fradulant expenditure as a non-authorized use of Crown funds.

Don't worry about Fin Codes. Only the Air Force and the Navy will continue with the convoluted and complex system of accounting.

Due to budget cuts within the Land Force the only Fin Code to be used from now on is the number '1'

recceguy said:
Don't worry about Fin Codes. Only the Air Force and the Navy will continue with the convoluted and complex system of accounting.

Due to budget cuts within the Land Force the only Fin Code to be used from now on is the number '1'

I actually find it an especially "easy" system of accounting to use ... every stitch of info you need to identify who/group/commodity/item area purchased can be revealed by that fincode.

But, given the slashing occuring in some LF areas ... I'll concur with your statement ... I guess I won't be the only one need a refresher course due to lack of use shortly ...

ArmyVern said:
I am sincerely hoping that the above post and this one:

Are not related. You can not utilize taxpayers money to purchase an item not authorized for wear on the uniform (only Log Br slip-ons, Canada slip-ons, or LF Unit 'owning' slip-ons) clothing stores item or not.

Oh Vern,
              they are not related at all. I can promise you that. I do cost capturing with fuels for this side of Transport. And it was more to inform myself on what is what when I"m inputting it in the Excel program. 

I just don't post on this site as often, and decided to make two posts at the same time. Hopfully i didn't confuse you.  ;D

TN2IC said:
It's one of those "Now you know moments".    ;D

You'd be surprised the amount of troops out there with UACs that don't "know". Hopefully they realize that it's still their ass on the line (because they signed for the cards and signed off as "going to use them IAW the Financial adm Act") - even if a higher-up says "I don't care, buy it."

ArmyVern said:
You'd be surprised the amount of troops out there with UACs that don't "know". Hopefully they realize that it's still their ass on the line (because they signed for the cards and signed off as "going to use them IAW the Financial adm Act") - even if a higher-up says "I don't care, buy it."

Oh.. I hear you.

Happy Holidays Vern.
Your favorite Trucker,
TN2IC

Back