• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Engineer Recon: Can somebody explain

CadetPAT

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi I have a question for the Engineers(obviously). I'm interested in Combat Engineering and I was wondering about the Recon stuff..or is that only left to Infantry units?

Engineers perform recce of items of engineer interest. For example: enemy obstacles; bridging sites; roads and approaches...

dapaterson said:
Engineers perform recce of items of engineer interest. For example: enemy obstacles; bridging sites; roads and approaches...

... and we don't RECON anything.

Unless you are working under an American headquarters....

I suppose so, but when we were under command of CENTAG we didn't do pionier aufklärer...

Correct, sorry just being a bit of a knob today...

Kat Stevens said:
Correct, sorry just being a bit of a knob today...
  :rofl:  "today"  .....oh, uh, nevermind....          ;)

Shoosh you, I got helper points yesterday too.

Kat Stevens said:
I suppose so, but when we were under command of CENTAG we didn't do pionier aufklärer...

Probably not, because CENTAG was an American HQ.

dapaterson said:
Well, not just of engineer interest...
Things like sources of water and other resources also figure in there but also other things of importance to the tactical commander: where can fr and en forces manoeuvre, where should we put our obstacles for greater effect, etc.

These are considered all arms skills with the Armd Recce doing quite a bit of it; however, the engineers take it a bit more formally and to a higher technical level. We have DP3a to become a Sgt, then DP3b which used to be TQ6b or the Recce Sgts course (I'm confused now with the new changes and res/reg deltas. if someone whats to elaborate...) plus there are other courses like soil analysis, etc.  In an engineer troop there is a recce Sgt position; his task is to take detailed observations and measurements for the above mentioned tasks and to even design the bridges, roads, obstacles, breaching methods, etc. as required - his recce report could make it up to Div HQ (or higher) if appropriate.

-Note: I'm talking mostly from what I recall,
-Note2: I'm high on cough syrup so take all that with a grain of salt - and lots of water...

Chimo! 

Back