• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ENGINEER HISTORY OR TRIVA

S

sapperint

Ok for all you old and new or wanna be Sappers time to test your knowlegde.

Where does the lazy E come from?

I will post the answer on Tuesday Am. :salute:

Heres a good read about the R.E. arriving in B.C. and the work they did from 1859 to the disbandment of the Columbia Detatchment in 1863/4

http://www.royalengineers.ca

Originally posted by sapperint:
[qb] Ok for all you old and new or wanna be Sappers time to test your knowlegde.

I will post the answer on Tuesday Am. :salute: [/qb]
YOWZER!! I‘ve looked in all my books,searched the net last night and part of this morning before going to work and can‘t find anything! :mad:

A bloody good question sapperint! :salute:

Is it to match the rest of the Army Unit tac. signs on vehicles or a STANAG reg.?

ENGINEERS OF THE NORTHWEST REBELLION
As in all of Canada‘s conflicts it has depended on volunteers. In March of 1885 when the North-West Rebellion broke out, Militia Engineers were not called out but a select group did volunteer.
A group of Dominion Land Surveyors met at an Ottawa Hotel to form a Surveyors Corps. On 1 April 1885 with Major General Middleton‘s approval the unit was formed. "The Dominion Land Surveyors Intelligence Corps" as it was known, proceeded to Winnipeg by way of Chicago and St-Paul, and arrived on April 11.

At Qu‘Appelle the new unit, under command of Capt. J.S. Dennis, began to learn of military life. As the main duty of the unit was reconnaissance, the unit was mounted. With the aid of Quartermaster Abe Burrows, who like any good troop storeman could steal the fillings out of the teeth of the commissariat staff unless they slept with their mouths shut, the unit became operational.

Armed with Winchester repeating rifles and colt revolvers the unit deployed in a line of pickets from Swift Current Creek to Lone Lake, a distance of 130 miles. When action was ordered, on the 3rd of May they began to join Middleton‘s column. In just four days they assembled and rode the 150 miles to meet the General.

"Dennis‘s Scouts" as they became known arrived at Batoche Sunday the 10th of May, the second day of the action. By the time the fighting was over the unit had 1 killed and 2 wounded.

In all essence, the rebellion was put down by the 2nd of July, and on the 12 July "Dennis‘s Scouts" were disbanded. And in the words of their Captain, the activities of the corps were commented upon being very favourably in dispatches of the Commanding General, and the work may be reasonably included in the statement of the important work done by the Surveyors of Canada in the development of our great western territory.

Originally posted by sapperint:
[qb] Ok for all you old and new or wanna be Sappers time to test your knowlegde.

I will post the answer on Tuesday Am. :salute: [/qb]
I‘ve searched and can‘t find the answer!! :mad:
Come on Int put me out of my misery.

Ok here I will put you out of your misery.

It is not actually a E, rather it is a stylized bridge.

:salute:

Ok next question. This one should be easy for all.

What is the " LOYAL TOAST "?

Answer posted after I get back from EX. :salute:

It's easy if you had to sit through innumerable mess dinners. I'm not going to give it away. lol

sapperint said:
Ok next question. This one should be easy for all.

What is the " LOYAL TOAST "?

Answer posted after I get back from EX.  :salute:

The Toast which I always make which means more to me by the words and the heart felt meaning .

"To those Who have gone before us and to those of us  who are here to day and to those who come after us, UBIQUE"

To all Arms you are welcome to use it. :salute:

Back